Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

About time and all.:)
    Attaboy Tony Mulcahy!!!:D "The experts are sitting the room here."

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,921 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Mr. Mulcahy talking some sense again thank christ.

Reloading by JC.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Whooopsies. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

If you're robbing a bank the category of firearm you're using is irrelevant.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Yup.

Brandishing a realistic imitation firearm carries the same penalties

Nice one. We are the public too, and not a separate group/category of society.

Exactly. As above:
    Cass wrote: »
    If you're robbing a bank the category of firearm you're using is irrelevant.

More complex. You haven't even touched on 1% of it.

Heh, heh, heh, heh. Shouldn't laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

hurlsey wrote: »
    I take it from reading te above somebodies answers or questions weren't as good as this morning submissions?

They were equally good but there was a bigger emphasis on legislation which is a minefield. We were excellent this afternoon as well.

Well put. Started off shaky, but they soon stabilised the ship.

Good save.

Probably end up with ballistic testing, should cost 10c for a round of .22, will end up costing €500 a gun.

I hope he is not on about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

I thought that went well enough!!

Overall i think they done quite well. As said abovve the legislation end is far more tricky and complex than what was discussed this morning.

Even from this mornings debate the same deputies seemed to have a better grasp (well those with an open mind did anyway) and the questions were much more specific and relevant.

It's still in the air tbh. This is, afterall, a working group review and can only make suggestions. However it is vital that we educate and infrom them now than try to a later date when process is so far advanced as to make any sort of education program irrelevant.

Everyone that attended done themselves and us proud. Well done to them, i know i would not have been so eloquent, and most likely would have cacked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Turned out ok. few hairy moments there. Don't understand why they keep bringing up automatic weapons when they have been told time and time again that they are not legal here or across Europe.

Conclusion: Excellent morning and afternoon sessions. I can say that everyone who contributed delivered to the committee on my behalf and I am very appreciative of their role. Personally I think that the AGS have made a serious error in judgement. CS Healy has basically been brandished a liar as most of what he said on Dec 17th has been without foundation or facts. It will may very interesting viewing if the committee ask CS Healy and Sgt Greene to come back in. The guys today certainly educated a few members and I think we have even turned a few people around.

I am very impressed with our guys. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

Great work all round and fair play to everyone who went up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

Good work everyone. Just caught the last hour of this afternoons session. Impressed with the contribuitions. Calm and informative.

Anyone know where I might be able to see this mornings session ?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭g00167015

Well done to this afternoon's contributors

You too may enjoy a thoroughly deserved cup of tayyyyyyy for your excellent input.

Some very good discussion in this session of the committee also, on top of what was already debated this morning :-)

Well done to all involved and your time in putting together your submissions etc. I must also commend the Chair for the way he seems to be running a very tidy ship without egregious goals.

Committees are much more interesting than listening to the childish bickering out in the Dail Chamber. At least in committee, you are only ever going to get such childish bickering from one organisation, the AGS, on the occasions where they are called to appear.

Once again, well done all. Country sportspersons are rather lucky to have such people speaking on their behalf :-)

This particular segment of the war is ours.
    We have won I belive a significant battle here today.Apart from the "three gimps of SF,Labour and independant".Who just would not be educated and kept making out that "assault rifles" are some kind of problem here.I feel that the comittee listened impartially ,and have taken aboard the fact thai is alot more complex than first told by AGS.Who now have, yet again as well as DOJ, some serious questions to answer as to why the comittee and public is being misled on this issue.One thing is for sure the chairman assured me did state that if he finds out that someone was porky pieing the comittee.Heads will roll down the Dail steps and be on spikes outside on Kildare st. He'd better start sharpening his axe.....:D

We have won a battle,but not the war..Keep up the pressure and keep lobbying...Make sure this issue doesnt go away for therm,make sure the three gimps get to know what their election chances will be with shooters in their districts.We also see now what happens with our organisations united and independant..Let us go forward with this in mind,we have shown we can punch above our weight class today.Lets keep on doing this.
    Well done to GH & Sparks and all on the comittee today.I am well impressed and satisfied to see my issues were addressed too,and that some of mysuggestions were listned to.
    Grizzly.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

g00167015 wrote: »
    Well done to this afternoon's contributors
    I must also commend the Chair for the way he seems to be running a very tidy ship without egregious goals.

Well done everyone and I also think the chair was to be commended.

@ Sparks.
    If you ever get bored with electronics and stuff,you should consider politics .That was informative,factual and entertaining and telling people to feckin cop on to themselves in the nicest possible way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

sfakiaman wrote: »
    Well done everyone and I also think the chair was to be commended.
    +1

As the others said; fair play to you lads, nice work.

As others also said...the chairman seems sound. good that he has his own questions and isn't there just to fill a seat.

Some of them in that committee won't be won around, that's just how they are. Others such as Mulcahy seem to get the point of it all and aren't prattling on about assault rifles.

Maybe when Sparks and Gunhappy retire from the Dail bar we might get an insight....

Did ya hear a phone on, again, throughout. He was probably posting under the table. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    @ Sparks.
    If you ever get bored with electronics and stuff,you should consider politics .That was informative,factual and entertaining and telling people to feckin cop on to themselves in the nicest possible way.

No way, Sparks SC has a better ring to it and not depending on votes either....

Advertisement