Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I was in work and didn't get a chance to watch the committee meeting.

Anybody have a link to where I can watch a playback of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

In work so couldn't watch the proceeding - all sounds like it went off very well from our perspective.
    A great deal of thanks is owed from the community to the two lads and all others on that side of the room, sounds like a stellar performance! (Not that I'm even remotely surprised.)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    @ Sparks.
    If you ever get bored with electronics and stuff,you should consider politics .That was informative,factual and entertaining and telling people to feckin cop on to themselves in the nicest possible way.

Politics? What did I ever do to you?! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

just read the running commentary. Couldnt watch it but it should be up tomorrow and ill have a look at it all then .

looking forward to it. Cheers lads

EDIT: i think it will be up here at 9 am http://media.heanet.ie/oireachtas/asx.php?Channel=Dail&Date=20150121&StartTime=01:25:00.000&Duration=06:00:00.000

No way, Sparks SC has a better ring to it and not depending on votes either....

Oh feck right off :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

thought you were going to have a Sheldon Cooper melt down there at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Shotguns can punch holes in engine blocks..:eek: JC what are you on???

A slug will. They're restricted I think.

I was able to watch the proceedings here courtesy of sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭SVI40

yubabill1 wrote: »

Ah, but only if shot from a sawn off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭clivej

Well done to all for their time and good informative words.

When will the full sessions be available online as I missed a lot of it today??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

I was able to watch the proceedings here courtesy of sparks

The box o truth tested this and found that under specific circumstances, engine removed from vehicle, the slug might penetrate part of the block but not get into the cylinder. It will not blow the engine block to bits or even exit.

Also, shotgun slugs and engine blocks, have been known to ricochet and cause fatalities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Unless thats a a slug designed for Armour piercing [AP] with a steel core[Which would be illegal under EU law.]It wont penetrate a block of pig iron with steel pistons.Certainly will maybe smash up the rocker cover tappets and lifters and rotors or electronic ignitions and radiatotr so it "could " stop a car.But a one shot engine out,never to run again ....Need a 50 cal AP incendiary round:cool: Also quite illegal here.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

And we are uploaded

Right so basically here are the hourly files , the videos are broken up into hour slots. This will be here for the next 2 weeks
    https://oireachtas.heanet.ie/wmv/hourly/CR2/

first video is
    2015-01-21 10:30 221M (move to 35 minutes into video)

After that you must use the daily files which will remain forever.
    https://oireachtas.heanet.ie/wmv/daily/cr2/
    date :
    2015-01-21 09:00

for those of you with slower broadband , use the hourly videos as 90% of the daily recordings are just a message saying "committee room 2" but it will take as long to download as that in session

The hourly files are about 220 mbs which will take about will take about 5 minutes at most to download on good broadband , but upto about a half an hour for people who have bad internet.
    so put on a cuppa tea after you hit download

Daily files are 5.5gb when the day is finished , so make a pot of tea if your on slow broadband and trying to download it after 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Unless thats a a slug designed for Armour piercing [AP] with a steel core[Which would be illegal under EU law.]It wont penetrate a block of pig iron with steel pistons.Certainly will maybe smash up the rocker cover tappets and lifters and rotors or electronic ignitions and radiatotr so it "could " stop a car.But a one shot engine out,never to run again ....Need a 50 cal AP incendiary round:cool: Also quite illegal here.:)

JC......to spend 5 minutes inside the mind of Grizzly 45 would be something else.

Never shot a slug into an engine, but a military guy I had the privilege to shoot with once or twice a few years ago assured me he did with his breaching shotgun and the vehicle wasn't driveable after. Never asked about the damage.

On another note, regarding interviews by Justice Committee, I reckon it's 1-1 right now.

however I have been paying very close attention to government TD's and senators; while Labour reaction has been predictable (and Finian McGrath is Labour DNA (Ivana Bacik bucked the trend(gobsmacked))), the attitude of FG representatives has been very encouraging.

Government controls every committee, so a vague policy picture can be interpolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[
    QUOTE=yubabill1;93945796]JC......to spend 5 minutes inside the mind of Grizzly 45 would be something else.

A star trek adventure.Exploring strange new worlds in the final frontier.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

JC......to spend 5 minutes inside the mind of Grizzly 45 would be something else.

Never shot a slug into an engine, but a military guy I had the privilege to shoot with once or twice a few years ago assured me he did with his breaching shotgun and the vehicle wasn't driveable after. Never asked about the damage.

On another note, regarding interviews by Justice Committee, I reckon it's 1-1 right now.

however I have been paying very close attention to government TD's and senators; while Labour reaction has been predictable (and Finian McGrath is Labour DNA (Ivana Bacik bucked the trend(gobsmacked))), the attitude of FG representatives has been very encouraging.

Government controls every committee, so a vague policy picture can be interpolated.

All very academic discussions lads but basically very simple; nothing to do with hunting or target shooting. .50 BMG, steel core penetrators, incendiary ammunition etc etc all very interesting but I don't think we'll be having Arizona and Texas style machine shoots here any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

bpb101 wrote: »
    And we are uploaded

Right so basically here are the hourly files , the videos are broken up into hour slots. This will be here for the next 2 weeks
    https://oireachtas.heanet.ie/wmv/hourly/CR2/

first video is
    2015-01-21 10:30 221M (move to 35 minutes into video)

After that you must use the daily files which will remain forever.
    https://oireachtas.heanet.ie/wmv/daily/cr2/
    date :
    2015-01-21 09:00

for those of you with slower broadband , use the hourly videos as 90% of the daily recordings are just a message saying "committee room 2" but it will take as long to download as that in session

The hourly files are about 220 mbs which will take about will take about 5 minutes at most to download on good broadband , but upto about a half an hour for people who have bad internet.
    so put on a cuppa tea after you hit download

Daily files are 5.5gb when the day is finished , so make a pot of tea if your on slow broadband and trying to download it after 2 weeks

Not the most tech-fingered.... I downloaded 2 files (monring and afternoon but theres nothing on them bar the blue screen of the committee room number ?

Am i doing something wrong ?

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

The Examiner have it on tomorrows front page "Owners defend rifle use as Gardai urge ban"

Wow. And not in a small way either:

page-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

"Gunlobbyists" maybe a bit ott from the Irish Times. Target shooters and hunters would be far preferable. Gunlobbyists sounds a bit too from my cold dead hands-ish for my liking.

Of course we all want to hold on to our sports or hunting equipment. And indeed we would like to see a more efficient and objective licencing setup away from criminal justice legislation and allowing a broader selection of sporting firearms to be accessible to the law abiding sports shooter but gunlobbyists sounds a bit wrong.

We're not exactly like the NRA who would argue in favour of covert carry, the right to bear arms, campaigns for lifting of prohibitions on the possession of assault rifles etc etc...

Essentially what we want can be summarised as reasonable access to what are globally widely recognised as sporting firearms subject to reasonable licencing conditions relating to personal background, secure storage and sporting needs.

• Advertisement

Not the most tech-fingered.... I downloaded 2 files (monring and afternoon but theres nothing on them bar the blue screen of the committee room number ?

Am i doing something wrong ?

GH
    no, the problem is that it records the entire time, regardless whether or not anything is going on

go to the video date 2015-01-21 10:30 221M
    and go to 35 minutes into video

Unfortunately I could only make out the first sentence of the page from the Examiner (anyone got a link to it), where gun owners defended their "right" to semi auto rifles, but correct me if I'm wrong, did not everyone appearing today not say we all acknowledge that it is a privilege, and not a right to possess a firearm?

Not explicitly in the afternoon, but nobody asserted they had such a right. I think it was mentioned in the NTSA opening remarks in the morning.

Sparks wrote: »
    Not explicitly in the afternoon, but nobody asserted they had such a right. I think it was mentioned in the NTSA opening remarks in the morning.

Sorry Sparks, in re-reading what I posted, I should have specified that the Examiner stated that shooters were seeking the "right", but all the representatives at today's Joint Committee session acknowledged that it was a privilege, and not a right, to possess a firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hurlsey

SVI40 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I could only make out the first sentence of the page from the Examiner (anyone got a link to it), where gun owners defended their "right" to semi auto rifles, but correct me if I'm wrong, did not everyone appearing today not say we all acknowledge that it is a privilege, and not a right to possess a firearm?

I'm going to pick up a copy tomorrow however as we have seen over the course of last summer the majority of Irish "media" and "journalism" is slanted squarely against us! IMO being fed drivel from AGS press office! I can't imagine that this debate, no matter how logical and reasoned out arguments are, will be portrayed in a fair light! If any of the hacks in any of the "rags" we call newspapers, examined the figures, statistics and statements put forward by AGS in this debate they could only come to the conclusion that they are being extremely disingenuous(LYING) and are incapable of administering the system in any meaningful competent fashion!

* I am aware that there are several members of AGS who are sports shooters and are on this forum, who have suffered in their sport at what is clearly a political agenda by senior members of AGS and it is those I am referring to above not you personally!!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

I want to thank the reps that went along today and represented our interests.
    The whole idea of centralised administration appeared to gain some traction as did consolidation of convoluted legislation and subjective judgements.
    I don't think Deputy Kenny is as much anti gun as he is thick. I think the message started to get through before the end of the day.
    The SF guy did not like being chastised over the use of the W word. It's something we are aware of but most lay people are not and care less about, regardless of the formal nature of the debate.
    I was pleased to hear repeatedly that hard statistical data was requested but not forthcoming from AGS/DOJ. They have done themselves no favours there.

So where do we go from here? In the interim getting stuff licensed is becoming very difficult for some of us. I'd hate to see more dealers go under as a result of this uncertainty. Ranges and clubs too maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Examiner online story here.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/owners-defend-rifle-use-as-gardaiacute-urge-ban-308340.html

I thimk the lead image used is very poor and subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

Examiner online story here.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/owners-defend-rifle-use-as-gardaiacute-urge-ban-308340.html

I thimk the lead image used is very poor and subjective.

That's an excellent choice of picture....so the reader sees both barrels pointing right in their face.
    They couldn't show a fella in a field with his dog after a pheasant or anything realistic! !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

That's an excellent choice of picture....so the reader sees both barrels pointing right in their face.
    They couldn't show a fella in a field with his dog after a pheasant or anything realistic! !

Exactly what I was thinking... And as for the other one, a heap of scary black pistols, where's the Olympic pistols. .. Maybe they should be invited out to a range to take some real pictures so they can stop using random tripe that has nothing to do with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

bravestar wrote: »
    Exactly what I was thinking... And as for the other one, a heap of scary black pistols, where's the Olympic pistols. .. Maybe they should be invited out to a range to take some real pictures so they can stop using random tripe that has nothing to do with us.

It's the examiner, the AGS's choice of propaganda publishers

Advertisement