Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I would love if the PTB had a quick scroll through this to see that their efforts to legislate licenced target shooters and hunters will do absolutely nothing to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals even if it were the case if they couldn't import anything which clearly is not the case.
    https://homemadeguns.wordpress.com/page/9/ some mighty crude examples lmao but it goes to show.

on a side note there are some irish examples in there too, and i quote. lol
    It is perhaps the most ingenious example of kitchen cupboard improvisation to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Anyone catch HH on six one news,
    Rte news seems to have given the issue a good even report.. What ye think

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

High powered rifles.. huh, a Ruger 10/22 is high powered is it?? Or am I wrong..
    Oooh!! "Mass school shooting might happen".. Ffs..
    What a load of bllx..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭clivej

Another report will also be on Prime Time this week as well. Monday or Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

I know they showed a 10/22 but jonny punch-clock doesn't know the difference.
    Now every semi-auto owner in Ireland who previously didn't know about these proposals is going to sit up and pay attention to the issue,
    But so are the anti-gun body's..
    It's now more important than ever to restart emailing TDs.
    Otherwise their brains will be a wash with facts not favourable to gun ownership.
    Don't forget, once the S/A c/f rifles are gone they will apply the exact same 'public safety' logic to S/A rimfire guns..

The micro report did fail to highlight the cf issue or difference but it's only a general report..
    I personally think it's good to have this unjust government based action highlighted.

Also, I was quite happy not to seen any Hollywood style footage or music in the report. That type of stereotyping would sink us all..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Anyone catch HH on six one news,
    Rte news seems to have given the issue a good even report.. What ye think

Yeah, saw it there. Wouldn't say RTE gave it a good even report, unless you mean the video portrayed target shooting while the audio tried to scare the crap out of the 4.4 million people outside of the shooting community who don't know enough about the law to know what protections are in place. They gave about 0.8 seconds to how the Gardai can come out and inspect our storage before sticking in a jump cut back to more shooting.

I mean, it's good to show the general public what our stuff looks like, but right now we desperately need them to be told what the restrictions are, even more than we need them to see our stuff. Even 10m air pistol will look scary to some folks. Being told what you have to do to get a licence and how many grounds the AGS have to refuse a licence, on the other hand, might do more good here.

Why do I doubt we'll see that on Prime Time? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

This is the kind of "factual reporting" you can expect next week from RTE prime time." :mad: Dont say ye werent warned!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

A little bit of feedback I got sofar hasnt been earth shatteringly good either,and TBH its about time HH ,SC and NARGC ,NARSPC and whatnot start speaking up as to what happened at this show and tell. Seeing that this was kept all hush hush and stage managed by NARSPC it would be nice to know the outcome of all this??:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

love that comment about handguns

"and if you look up to the sky today, you can see the sky hasent fallen in on anybody"

great journalism .
    looking for the rte news one

edit: important info from that piece, " a draft piece of legislation banning the future licensing and revoking current licensee has already been prepared by the working group and sent to the minister" - We will find out soon what they said

edit2: up on player at 11:45 - http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10376439/

bpb101 wrote: »
    edit2: up on player at 11:45 - http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10376439/

Not much to be expected there except a RTE propaganda s!!te non factual one sided report:mad:

• Advertisement

edit: important info from that piece, " a draft piece of legislation banning the future licensing and revoking current licensee has already been prepared by the working group and sent to the minister" - We will find out soon what they said
    We already have; that draft piece of legislation is the working group's review, the thing we've been talking to the joint committee about. If you read the appendix to that document, it has draft heads of a bill in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭g00167015

Couldn't help but notice that all of the 'high-powered guns' shown in the report on the 9 o'clock news re the WG firearms proposals just now were .22 rimfires............... Fair play the Irish media are good ha :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 thehippopop

Like your man said on the news anyone going to do harm with a gun is not going to get it legally and have there name put in the system. And by they way the government are talking and the tv it is giving people bad ideas to the people who never fired a gun never mind seen one in person. They should be showing the positive side of firearms and how good and competitive the sport is instead of making the public feel that they are only used for crime and drugs. I honestly think it is just so that the cops don't have to fill out paperwork and it would be less hassle if they no that less people have automatic guns. Our government aren't for the people at all and are self-centred ******

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I honestly think it is just so that the cops don't have to fill out paperwork and it would be less hassle if they no that less people have automatic guns.

The people don't have automatic guns, the only ones with them in the whole of Europe are the defence forces and criminals. We have Semi Automatic a whole world of difference.

Sparks wrote: »
    We already have; that draft piece of legislation is the working group's review, the thing we've been talking to the joint committee about. If you read the appendix to that document, it has draft heads of a bill in it.

sorry , mixed up the working group with committee thing.
    mea culpa, mea culpa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭Melodeon

John Murray Show item on a Florida gun show.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

Another biased anti gun section on radio one, at a gun show in Florida. Talking to Americans about ar15s with chainsaws attached, really had nothing to do with the new legislation. Only barely caught the reference to the new legislation before the clip.

The item in itself was pretty okay I thought, I await the backlash though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

In a 5 minute segment they managed to talk to a child, a woman drinking, a company who hide guns in furniture, and a guy who sells guns for home defence ie auto rifles and such, with a reference beforehand to new legislation, all the examples above have nothing to do with the current licensing let alone new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

This is the kind of "factual reporting" you can expect next week from RTE prime time." :mad: Dont say ye werent warned!

Had'nt seen this....thanks.

The contribution by Dr. Tom Clueless leave an awful lot to be desired. Insurgents in Iraq, Chad, dropping targets??? WHF has that got to do with the sport of target shooting or hunting. Clonan's contribution could be accurately attached to a " (UNLICENSED and have no intention of ever licensing) guns in the hands of Ireland deadliest criminals" by Paul Williams in the Indo.

• Advertisement

It had nothing to do with our stuff.
    And a few of us filed complaints over the show and took them to the BCC, but to no avail.
    To be as fair to Clonan as manners allows, he later stated privately that PT had edited his piece to within a millimeter of its life and it didn't represent what he felt he'd said; and he later wrote a tremendous piece in praise of the sport in the Times, traditionally a very anti-firearms paper.

Hi fellow complainer to the BCC.:)
    Clonans lame excuse should ,and doesnt cut no ice. He is a media whore who knows damn well how programmes can be put together,slanted,biased or toned between production discussions ,the directors agenda and the cutting room.
    If anyone wants a prime example of this watch his production along with Keelan Shanely[of Prime time fame hatchet jobs] on youtube.Called "If Lynch had invaded"A bit of alt irish history of the planned Irish army invasion of the six counties..
    So him saying he was taken out of context or it was edited to the nth is like one of us saying "ididnt know the gun was loaded!" with six bodies lying on the floor.:rolleyes: So he writes an article in the Irish Times to make up.Hardly a big deal as he is their "security expert" and if I remember rightly it was a week end edition centre paper article. A CYA exercise if there ever was one...
    I expect the same tonite or tomrrow and am frankly amazed that no one in command on our side remembers this hatchet job and were crazy enough to invite this film crew or RTE to this.It is like covering yourself in steaks and going into a cage full of hungry lions.I'd love to be proven 100% wrong on Wed morning here,but frankly,I'm not that optimistic.:(

Sparks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Finianmcgrathtd/status/565806269962149888
    Some within the gun lobby should learn a bit of manners. Public safety . Get it.
    And then today...
    http://www.thejournal.ie/finian-mcgrath-crossed-the-line-1941360-Feb2015/
    ‘People like to see their TDs having good manners and some of them have crossed the line’

Yeesh.

Here's the John Murray Show Florida gun show item as broadcast this morning:
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!type=radio&rii=9%3A20728764%3A4502%3A16%2D02%2D2015%3A

So here's a random thought:
    Finian McGrath ‏@Finianmcgrathtd Feb 12
    Some within the gun lobby should learn a bit of manners. Public safety . Get it.

He's been getting a few responses to that tweet, but earlier today, he responded to one and deliberately added my name to the CC list where it hadn't been before, in order to provoke a response.

So far, all he's seen has been fairly boring "you were wrong and here are the facts and figures showing why" responses, but today, the following week, he's still feeding it ahead of the Prime Time show and with the current media coverage.

Anyone else think he might be hoping some hothead will take offence and give him an "I was threatened by the gun lobby" story?

Might just be something to keep in mind if/when replying to these fine folks.

Just sayin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Lets see how good he is at asking questions or answering then

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

I wonder will it pop up on Joe Duffy Wednesday, after prime time tues eve..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Steve012 wrote: »
    I wonder will it pop up on Joe Duffy Wednesday, after prime time tues eve..

Well Finian would reluctantly come on I the name of public safety ad describe his one man crusade against the gun lobby, who just don't get it.

Just to add a thought before the fog of war descends - assuming a conversation following the presumed prime time piece:

It's going to be very easy to undermine the credibility of AGS DoJE in the aftermath of any feature on firearms licensing/proposals.

The public perception of AGS right now is jaundiced by the numerous inquiries and fallout in the aftermath of the departures of the Garda Commissioner, DoJE Secretary, Minister for Justice and the GSOC head.

The policing of the water protests has split public opinion and the issues around crime statistics wrt reporting (CSO) and lack of pertinent info (firearms seizures/thefts) amplifies any concerns - however slight - around AGS/DoJE credibility aired by Prime Time in the general public perception. Specifically, the issue of their (spurious) concerns over public safety.

We can take the high moral ground by offering reasoned and reasonable arguments, like in the televised submissions, while AGs/DoJE will not look good with Finian screaming blue murder about Glocks and Uzis so don't over-egg the pudding, guys......give the public some credit for being able to see through officialdom spin and misdirection at this stage - the public don't feel threatened by sports shooters and they know it, themselves

And another story in the Indo mentioning AGS growing concerns about guns imported with drugs, just a rehash.

was their suppose to be something on prime time tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

was their suppose to be something on prime time tonight?
    A real criminal got the slot.
    A criminal who today stabbed two Gardai, and escaped from custody 4 years early.
    A criminal who had fled the UK and then robbed 4 premises in Dublin, holding a gun to shop assistants head in 3 instances, and a knife to a persons throat in the fourth robbery.

Finian must be raging that the real threat to Public Safety was ignored...:rolleyes:

Advertisement