Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Finian must be raging that the real threat to Public Safety was ignored...:rolleyes:

Brilliant. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ahhh Poor Finian ! You would feel sorry for him alright.
    According to him as a smoker,he belives he is been targeted as a soft touch by the fascist regime here and belives that as an imbiber of cancer sticks.The Govt should give him and fellow smokers a break and leave them alone in the pubs. According to another article on him in Journal.ie today.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/smoking-ban-relaxed-1944555-Feb2015/

Shure he could smoke to his hearts content in Cuba,which he thinks is a grand spot altogether.They dont have any private gun ownership down there either Finian!And open your gob out of line down there,you'll soon learn what "manners" mean..So maybe if we have a whip around to buy him a first class one way ticket to Havanna and we could all help him pack to move there?

Funny now thats the second smoker and anti gun nut we have in the Dail.John"its my right to smoke anywhere I want"Deasy was the other. Hyprocrisy much those two?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Justice Committee's visit to Garda HQ with pictures of who attended in the bottom of the link.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/mediazone/pressreleases/name-26662-en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The whole smoking thing has rather backfired on him it seems from the initial social media reaction...

bpb101 wrote: »
    was their suppose to be something on prime time tonight?

Forwarded message
    Date: Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 1:26 PM
    Subject: RE: Prime Time.
    To: "

Hi Knockon,

We are working on a report looking at the issues involved in this. We don't have a date for transmission yet, but it will hopefully be in the coming weeks, depending on the news agenda in the meantime.

Regards,

Paul Ferris
    Deputy Editor
    Prime Time

• Advertisement

IOW when we have a slow news day and there is nothing else to fill the slot,including the most mundane of reports ,or the some fellah in a grey suit &tie from a dept tells us to kick to touch.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

/sigh

https://twitter.com/Finianmcgrathtd/status/568058297053515776
    I hope Minister Reilly's legal advice doesn't cost us all millions on legal bills on the cigs?

Sparks wrote: »

Mark Twain must have met Finian when he wrote.
    Were you a fool, or a member of Congress,but I repeat myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭clivej

Declan Keogh, committee member from Harbour House Sports Club joined Shane Beatty on Kildare Today to discuss their opposition to proposals to restrict gun ownership.

http://kildaretoday.podomatic.com/entry/2015-02-18T07_10_14-08_00

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

clivej wrote: »
    Declan Keogh, committee member from Harbour House Sports Club joined Shane Beatty on Kildare Today to discuss their opposition to proposals to restrict gun ownership.

http://kildaretoday.podomatic.com/entry/2015-02-18T07_10_14-08_00

good press time. kildare fm looks like they are they only ones giving shooting sports any media attention.

176 plays the counter says, most other podcasts only have between 0-10 plays.

• Advertisement

Tuesday, 17 February 2015
    Gerry Adams (Louth, Sinn Fein)
    324. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality when she will refer the Firearms Act 1925 to the Law Reform Commission to thoroughly review it, and advise what the law should be in the 21st century; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [7055/15]

Frances Fitzgerald (Minister, Department of Justice and Equality; Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

The Law Reform Commission (LRC) has restated the Firearms Acts and this “administrative consolidation” is available on the LRC website. The restatement is dated 31 October 2012 and it contains all amendments to the Firearms Acts.

In light of public safety concerns highlighted by An Garda Síochána, a joint Department of Justice and Equality/An Garda Síochána Working Group was established by my Department to review firearms licensing. The report of this Working Group was published on 13 November 2014 and submissions on the report were sought from stakeholders and the public by 31 January 2015.

These submissions are now being considered. Consolidation of the law on firearms will be considered further when I have met interest groups following consideration of the submissions.

/sigh
    http://youtu.be/zrWq1mvxxDk?t=2m09s

I kinda wish they'd brief the Minster a little better. I know it's Gerry Adams, and what that means from their point of view, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Just watched your vid Sparks and saw this one, by Deputy Sean Kenny (with comments disabled).

Note the phrasing of his first question;

"I can't help thinking of yesterday in Pakistan .. 140 school children were shot with weapons in a school and I think that's a horrific thing....and we also referred earlier on to what happened in Dunblane.....I would like to ask the Chief Superintendent is there a possibility or a likelihood...given what's been happening around the world that something like that could happen here in this country, given the availability of weapons?"

The Dunblane question is legitimate in the context, but it also looks like he's proud of conflating Muslim jihadis in Pakistan with sports shooters in Ireland.

Not the sharpest.

Old news, I know.

New news? The PQ above reveals that the Minister intends to meet stakeholders.

So far we have:
    • The committee and shooting groups unable to get answers to questions from An Gardaí
    • The Minister in PQs saying she will ask An Gardaí for the information but no one getting it
    • The Chair of the review committee getting (quite rightly) annoyed that such questions go unanswered
    • Media reports citing An Gardaí as their reference to stats and figures (the same ones we/the committee cannot get)
    • The Minister saying a restatement has taken place when it has not
    • Over in the hunting section a thread on the proposed amendment bill to ban dogs from deer hunting and to ban chartered stag hunts (which was already done)
    • The call from some committee members to ban assault rifles that are illegal to own here
    • The call for a ban on new licenses for C/F pistols, which already exists in the Nov. 08 statement & 2009 Act
    If it was not so serious it'd be laughable.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Just watched your vid Sparks and saw this one, by Deputy Sean Kenny (with comments disabled).

Note the phrasing of his first question;
    Yeah, I kindof got upset with him about that actually.
    New news? The PQ above reveals that the Minister intends to meet stakeholders.
    To be honest, I'd be surprised if she didn't. That's kindof standard procedure for reviews like this.

Cass wrote: »
    The Minister saying a restatement has taken place when it has not
    Well... a statute restatement hasn't. There are unofficial restatements out there, there's one the Law Reform Commission have done, there's one in the only textbook on this chunk of law, the NTSA did one a while back, hell, even I've done one in the past. But they're all unofficial, they have as much legal weight as a chinese takeaway menu from 1998. Somehow though, I suspect that small fact wasn't relayed properly to the Minister.
    If it was not so serious it'd be laughable.
    Yeah :(
    And you missed out a TD who's not a spokesperson for us claiming to speak for us and calling for the licencing of firearms for self defence.

It's enough to make your head spin round.

And you missed out a TD who's not a spokesperson for us claiming to speak for us and calling for the licencing of firearms for self defence.
    Intended oversight. Would not give him the time of day, and he is no representative for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Meanwhile, in the Phoenix Park, the biggest shakeup or windowdressing of AGS in modern times, depending on your degree of cynicism; Garda Commissioner Noirin O'Sullivan is reshuffling 40 or so Superintendents and Chief Superintendents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭clivej

Describing two different food groups there.Whats an" UZI style" SMG?I know UZI make watches,knives ,T shirts, etc under the UZI trademark,so was this SMG a fashion accessory???:rolleyes: No it actually was a MAC10..Why not just describe it as such??:rolleyes:

Oh ,so this MAC10[Should be a MAC 11 or MAC 11/9 if it is a 9mm SMG,but anyway...] is now according to AGS in this article " the choice weapon of the criminal classes....." PHEW!!! Thats us ligit CF pistol owners off the hook then... Seeing that we dont,cant and will not be liscensing full auto stuff here or in the near future,and if the criminals can get HK SMGs and MAC SMGs at the drop of a hat...Who needs a boring old Glock 17 anymore...[They are sooo passe these days Sham like..Get with the times willya like?]

Maybe 'cos Uzi's famous and Mac10s aren't?

• Advertisement

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in the Phoenix Park, the biggest shakeup or windowdressing of AGS in modern times, depending on your degree of cynicism; Garda Commissioner Noirin O'Sullivan is reshuffling 40 or so Superintendents and Chief Superintendents.

A reshuffle. Same people, same attitudes, just in a different jurisdiction. Would be far more impressed if she retired the top 50 of them and brought in new blood.

Cynicism level - Expert. :D

Our CS here in Limerick is going (retiring) and the Super has been told to resign. The incoming Super is very well respected and a decent chap. The new CS however rumored to be coming from a neighboring County has a track record on refusals, even to one of his own colleagues who had a centerfire and a member of our range.

Maybe 'cos Uzi's famous and Mac10s aren't?

They are as well known as each other for Hollywood notierity.Both are clunky inaccurate,[the MACs more so because of their mental rate of fire,someting in around 1200 rds per min with a POS wire stock and not much else to hold onto.] close quarter battle weapons] But i guess some people would proably confuse it with an APPLE computor product these days:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

knockon wrote: »
    Our CS here in Limerick is going (retiring) and the Super has been told to resign. The incoming Super is very well respected and a decent chap. The new CS however rumored to be coming from a neighboring County has a track record on refusals, even to one of his own colleagues who had a centerfire and a member of our range.

Not from the southern county next to limerick by any chance is he ?

Not from the southern county next to limerick by any chance is he ?

Unfortunatly not.. However this "officer and gentleman" :rolleyes: Has form with me,three other posters here one gun dealer in Kerry and multiple other restricted owners in the Kerry/Limerick divisional areas when he was running two of them in 2009 /11.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

The iMAC10. the hipsters will be lining up to buy one and whinging on their blogs when they can't get one.

With all the talk of these "high powered weapons" would it not be instructive to differentiate between rimfire and centerfire firearms.

Maybe I'm wrong but I would guess there are far more many rimfire pistols, bolt actions and SA rifles .22 in the country than anything else. Except for shotguns.

I'm in no way trying to differentiate or split any group but for example does this review group think that every pistol owner in the country has a 9mm evil glock ?

Do they know the difference between a 9mm and a .22 ? And more importantly do they give a ****e ?

If all this nonsense comes to pass I'd rather lose my .22 pistol than keep it while others around me lost what was legally theirs and join some kind of legal action.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Was in local sports shop last week and owner told me that he had just had a member of the garda on the phone. Wanted to know if a .17 was the same as a .22.
    Said he had to explain the difference about three times before they grasped the concept.

And thats the bull****e. Clueless gardas being put in control of nothing they know anything about.

• Advertisement

I know its been said before but everytime someone says weapons it needs to be corrected. Its a firearm. A weapon by definition is any object used to cause harm. If I finish my cup of tea and smash that cup over your head then that cup is a weapon. It needs to be drilled home that no one outside of police or military is allowed a fully automatic firearm. Irish sports shooters are licensed SA rifles, bolt action rifles and SA pistols.

The difference between a US gun culture and a reasonable irish gun mentality has to be recognised as being worlds apart.

Advertisement