Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016: Scotland v Republic of Ireland - 7:45 KO 14/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

2-1 Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Big day out for McGeady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

0-0 thriller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Augmerson wrote: »
    Big day out for McGeady.

Yep, cracking thread title ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Another 1-1 away win for the boys in green would do nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

They'll go for it, we'll contain them and hit them on the counter and win. The Scots underbelly is far too soft. They are flaky at the best of time. The match is there for us if we play it properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,948 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

1-0 Scotland win

Love ireland to win but sadly can't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

I think Ireland get a hard fought can't see us losing to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

I think Ireland get a hard fought win can't see us losing to be honest

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Most hyped for an Ireland hame I've been for awhile. A win would be huge but Id take the draw.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭metroburgers

They'll go for it, we'll contain them and hit them on the counter and win. The Scots underbelly is far too soft. They are flaky at the best of time. The match is there for us if we play it properly

Exactly, but we need to gut them good, debone them from the spine and crisp up their skin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Exactly, but we need to gut them good, debone them from the spine and crisp up their skin!

Reckon we'll slaughter them.

Maybe a draw though.

Hopefully...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

I'd take a scored draw (...assuming away goals count if we're level on points with Scotland at the end of the campaign? Could be wrong).

As optimistic as I'd like to be, i think it will be a very tight game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's just the type of game that has draw written all over it. Scotland would be within their rights to fancy their chances but Scotland v Ireland on a rainy November night? Sloppy 0-0 with Scotland to have a couple more chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

This game is massive for both teams, a loss for either would really knock the hype and momentum built up so far.

On the game and I feel like I say this every time but Long has to start though I don't expect it. Keane on his own up front is like playing with 10 players, Long's superior pace, work rate and aerial ability are worth more than Keane's superior finishing imo, Robbie's 34 now and it tells.

Team I'd like to see start:

Forde
    Coleman Keogh O'Shea Ward
    McGeady Gibson Hendrick Meyler McClean
    Long

I wouldn't mind Walters or Quinn starting either for Hendrick, Meyler or McClean.

I win would be great but I'd take a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

2-1 ireland. Come on you boys in green

irish son wrote: »
    Keane on his own up front is like playing with 10 players...

That's the problem with all the greatest goalscorers ever in international football, those around his mark like Gerd Muller or those way behind him like Batistuta and Linekar and Romario, no great work ethic, always like playing with 10 men.

Though I'd still always pick them over the "runs forever, works hard, less likely to convert chances" strikers any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

McGeady to score an own goal, turn to the fans, reveal a Rangers jersey underneath and join the NWO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Think we can just about do it.
    McGeady will take a lot of stick.
    Have a feeling that there will be a red card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

This game is massive for both teams, a loss for either would really knock the hype and momentum built up so far.

On the game and I feel like I say this every time but Long has to start though I don't expect it. Keane on his own up front is like playing with 10 players, Long's superior pace, work rate and aerial ability are worth more than Keane's superior finishing imo, Robbie's 34 now and it tells.

Forde
    Long

I wouldn't mind Walters or Quinn starting either for Hendrick, Meyler or McClean.

Keane is a great goalscorer, but I'd like to see Long get a decent run in this game, even from the start. He seems to be a confidence player and should be on a high now.

Hard to argue against Keane starting, but I would like to see him come off the bench in the second half with the defence tiring. There could be more half-chances created at that stage, and I'd trust Keane to take them much more than I'd trust Long unfortunately.

Don't see any of this happening though. I want a McGeady hattrick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

McGeady to score an own goal, turn to the fans, reveal a Rangers jersey underneath and join the NWO.

who are they:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Forde
    Long

This would be my team too, this is really there for the taking if we carry the momentum on from the Germany game. Ireland 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

2-1 Republic of Ireland. Robbie Keane to score the winner.

fryup wrote: »
    who are they:confused:

Lizard people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

"He's the 12th man! "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Forde
    Long

How about james mccarthy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

rottie 11 wrote: »
    How about james mccarthy?

Injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

8-10 wrote: »
    Injured

Balls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

McCarthy is a loss but not a 'massive' loss. He isn't near as good for us as he is for Everton.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Imagine winning and Georgia taking points off Poland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Balls

No, ankle...

iDave wrote: »
    Imagine winning and Georgia taking points off Poland!

I like what your selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Optimistic for a win tonight.

If anyone had told me we'd be 3 points clear of Germany at this stage though I'd have laughed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Optimistic for a win tonight.

If anyone had told me we'd be 3 points clear of Germany at this stage though I'd have laughed.

and then banned them from the soccer forum :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Scotland 2-1.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Forde
    Long
    Agreed with all of this, I also think that Robbie Keane coming off the bench could nick a goal after Long has finished running the Scottish defense all over the place. Someone with a international goal scoring record like his coming off the bench late on will always put some doubt into opposing defenders minds.

I think Meyler has earned his place in the team after the last day out, but I would be slightly worried by his lack of ability on the ball, he gave a lot of balls away needlessly against Germany.

Hendrick and Gibson are definitely worth their place in the team as they were game changers against the German's in my opinion.

Looking forward to this game, I hope the pace of the game lives up to the hype. What is most important though is the result at the end of it. I think Ireland can get a draw or a win, most realistically I'd say a draw, maybe 2-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Really surprised at the confidence here I hope most are right but I find it hard to see past a Scotland win. A draw would be great and a win amazing.

Scotland 2-0

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Apparently MON offered the Scots the win tonight but 55% of them said No.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Really surprised at the confidence here I hope most are right but I find it hard to see past a Scotland win. A draw would be great and a win amazing.

Scotland 2-0

A win against Scotland would be amazing? Not at all, this is Scotland we're talking about.

Fairly evenly matched teams in terms of players. With the game in Glasgow, Scotland might be slight favourites with the bookies but I think we'll win.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    A win against Scotland would be amazing? Not at all, this is Scotland we're talking about.

Fairly evenly matched teams in terms of players. With the game in Glasgow, Scotland might be slight favourites with the bookies but I think we'll win.

100%, we are away against a direct competitor for 2nd/3rd it would be fcukin quality to get an away win against them. They are only Scotland but we are only Ireland.

Soups123 wrote: »
    100%, we are away against a direct competitor for 2nd/3rd it would be fcukin quality to get an away win against them. They are only Scotland but we are only Ireland.

We got a draw away to the World Champions last month, we'd want to be following that up with an away draw or win in Scotland.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    We got a draw away to the World Champions last month, we'd want to be following that up with an away draw or win in Scotland.

It would be great but easier said than done, a draw would be good for me and beat them at home. A win tonight puts 2nd and 3rd firmly in our grasp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

We got two huge late goals away to Germany and Georgia.

A win tonight would be massive it would be a huge result for a push for 2nd.

Saying that a draw would still be a decent result once we beat them at home.

Scotland's defence will be something like Whittaker, Martin, Hanley & Mulgrew/Robertson. No world beaters there. I have full confidence that we can get something from the game. Scotland being hyped up far too much IMO, when in fact they are an ordinary enough outfit. Watch the two front men and we'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I think this is a game we can win. Their back four is a shaky as our own. Hutton - Martin-Greer Whittaker
    I would be sceptical that we can win the game with just playing Robbie up top.

I think this is a game we can win. There back four is a shaky as our own. Hutton - Martin-Greer Whittaker
    I would be sceptical that we can win the game with just playing Robbie up top.

Out injured

Out injured

Whittaker any use at RB?

Whittaker any use at RB?

Ok going forward but not great in defence. He's their 3rd choice right back with Hutton & Bardsley out.

Ok going forward but not great in defence. He's their 3rd choice right back with Hutton & Bardsley out.

Hutton is malogen though! I was really hoping McClean would be up against him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement