Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016: Scotland v Republic of Ireland - 7:45 KO 14/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    shower of ignorant Scottish fans

Why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

We are a pretty poor side, with poor tactics, not a great recipe for success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

Maloney! Traitor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Really Disappointing result.

Was always going to be decided by a mistake or a great strike and in the end it was a bit of both.

Poor defending for the goal but very well taken by Maloney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

"The Poles" hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Scotland are not great but they did have the two cleverest players on the pitch in Naismith and Maloney. The nearest comparison with us is probably Wes Hoolahan who wouldn't have been selected anyway even if he was fit.

Strachan in fairness trusts player who can play a bit. Like Trap not sure MON does.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Awful display. Makes the point in Gelsenkirchen seem worthless. Would have taken a loss there had we gotten something tonight.

Luck runs out eventually I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

sky88 wrote: »
    Surley there is a better left back than ward thats irish terrible player

This would be better than Ward

wet_floor_sign_floor_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

The sad thing is Scotland don't have amazing players, yet they made our boys look like a pub team. Poor management by O'neill.
    Coleman has just said there that we didn't want to lose, nothing about wanting to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Shítehawks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The next game is to Poland at home is make or break, IMO.

Lose that and we're f**ked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Same old sh*te, it's like Trap never left us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

"Just about shaded it" lol

Gave me a wry chuckle as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Sorry lads we deserved it

Draw wouldn't have been unfair either, two pretty average sides if were honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Brady needs to start ahead of McGeady or McClean. Even for the quality of crosses alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

kryogen wrote: »
    We are a pretty poor side, with poor tactics, not a great recipe for success.

We are average but we should have been capable of getting a draw in this game. I think O Neill hoped McGeady would rise above it tonight and be the lynchpin but he got swallowed up by the atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

That was pish, what sort of bloody game plan was that.

Trap out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

TBH, 7 points at 4 games is what id expect

beat georgia and gibraltar,

Lose to germany

And draw with scotland

Its not worked that way but weve got the same amount of points that youd expect, TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Had we produced that under Trap we'd be calling for his sacking. What is O'Neill trying to achieve with the set up he's going for?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

different manager, same ****e.... just lob it up and pray. why do even bother playing with a midfield:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The next game is to Poland at home is make or break, IMO.

After our last two performances I'll put my money on break.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Surely we could try Brady at LB going forward? Playing wingback for Hull at the moment. He improved things when he came on further up the pitch though.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

McGeady did **** all, should have been him off instead of Long. Brady did well when he came on, our back four was solid over all too.

Dunphy being nice, strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

nullzero wrote: »
    Had we produced that under Trap we'd be calling for his sacking. What is O'Neill trying to achieve with the set up he's going for?

It's typical O'Neill football. No better than Trap.

edgecutter wrote: »
    The sad thing is Scotland don't have amazing players, yet they made our boys look like a pub team. Poor management by O'neill.
    Coleman has just said there that we didn't want to lose, nothing about wanting to win.

You may have missed the first part of his sentence then where he said, we came to win

Surely we could try Brady at LB going forward? Playing wingback for Hull at the moment. He improved things when he came on further up the pitch though.

Brady - McClean wing sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Jesus would someone put a gag on Dunphy, out with his favourite word 'guile' again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lose to germany

And draw with scotland

Its not worked that way but weve got the same amount of points that youd expect, TBH.

It's giving Scotland 2 more though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

He is a very average manager and had been getting worse as he gets older. Not sure why anyone expected better. The country got caught up in the Martin/Roy "dream ticket" nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Disappointing but there's nothing between the 2 teams on paper but Scotland rose to the occasion.

We were seriously lacking in central midfield and for me the big difference was the reluctance of our midfielders to get on the ball vs the Scottish players.

We were quite good at the back but eventually the pressure they put us under paid off.

Oh lord, Dunphy saw a player having a bad game and tar him with a brush, ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

This Ireland team is capable of playing football. What I seen today wasn't football. Hoofball is more appropriate.

We are a better side than Scotland. However, just like Ireland have before, Scotland upped their game and completely deserved the win. I think I'd much rather lay blame on Martin O'Neill than anyone else. The players were restricted by his tactics in the second half and I think its been a hefty lesson for him.

Going forward he needs to realise that these sort of tactics are the reason why Trap isn't here.

Against Scotland we should be attacking with a good passing game not hoofing from the back. I feel that if Martin was a little more ballsy and less reserved we would have rolled this Scotland team over.

Fantastic goal from a Scotland POV, but awful defending all the same.

We'll most likely lose to Poland and our position in the group will become more clear.

We had the chance to keep up with Poland and Germany but now its gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

O'Neill seems to have about the same level of belief in the ability of these players as his predecessor did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

He is a very average manager and had been getting worse as he gets older. Not sure why anyone expected better. The country got caught up in the Martin/Roy "dream ticket" nonsense.

The auld dream ticket, could be worse it could be a world class management team.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Brady - McClean wing sounds good

McGeady nearly had a goal and assist tonight, he needs to play, just because he made some bad decisions it doesn't outweigh that he's our best attacking player. Some people have short memories.

I agree, Ward was awful. Time and time agin the ball was on the ground and he would let it roll for a throw or lump the ball to the scots. A paid professional!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Coleman said they came here to win.but first and foremost not to loose.

Failed miserably on both counts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Lose to germany

And draw with scotland

That would have been more ideal in my eyes. The head to head tiebreaker will be a big one with Scotland. Definitely need to beat them next time around. A draw won't do.

Poland will be a very tough game, good break until then so hopefully they can prepare well for it.

Liam O wrote: »
    McGeady nearly had a goal and assist tonight, he needs to play, just because he made some bad decisions it doesn't outweigh that he's our best attacking player. Some people have short memories.

I meant on the left wing, Brady lb and McClean lm. McGeady still on the right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

O neill is a dire manager who always resorts to hoof ball but let's face facts those players bar a couple are bang average.

Our strikers are so one dimensional same with our wingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Brady needs to start ahead of McGeady or McClean. Even for the quality of crosses alone.

And his tight marking at corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

We've been terrible. Scotland well deserved it. Jury still out on O'Neill IMO. He seemed unable to change the things going wrong throughout the game and we never tried to play the ball on the ground. Most of the players were unable to adjust and made poor decisions again and again. I can't see how O'Neill has put any "smartness" into that team. We gave the ball away so cheaply all night.

Mindless that we tried to outdo Scotland in the physical stakes. That was a naive tactic given the passionate build up to the game. And even at that, only one team played football tonight and it was not Ireland.

O'Neill came tonight for a point with no other ambition beyond that. I wouldn't be harsh on him for that but it was clear after 10 minutes that was not going to work out and I didn't see anything from O'Neill that showed he was in any way able to do anything about it. IMO he is trading at the minute on his past reputation because he has brought very little to this team. We are not playing any better than under Trap and the passion O'Neill is famed for was already there under Trap.

You'll never win games if you give the ball away like we do so so often.

The players tried so hard and well done to them. But Scotland were much better tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

"we'd never take a short corner" LOL

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    O neill is a dire manager who always resorts to hoof ball but let's face facts those players bar a couple are bang average.

So are the scots, that's why I and others are annoyed. Strachan got his ordinary team playing properly and they deserved to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not a great game from McGeady but he has to play. He's one of the very very few Ireland players who can actually create something. We have enough trouble creating chances as it is.

Yes, Walters & Long failed miserably tonight along with Gibson & Hendricks. Everyone else suffers horrifically when these four positions lack a good performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

poor tactics from the off, long balls were bread and butter for an average Scottish defence, to say we didn't play at all to expose their weaknesses on the ground is simply scandalous.

Trap said it many times, we have a lack of personality in the middle of the field. You don't just hit a switch with your players and tell them to "play football" in midfield. The personalities in midfield will try and impose their will on the game, but we don't have any.

Lumping it forward tonight is a cop out, its a cowards game passing the buck for the next man to lose possession, absolutely no courage in midfield to set a tempo or impose their own will on the game.

Whittaker, Hanley and Russell Martin are mediocre defenders, Hanley is a penalty waiting to happen when you run at him but we decide to lump high balls in on top of him, its baffling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Scotland do not have better players than Ireland. Maloney, anya and Naismith are no better than Long, McGeady and McClean.

Why we continue to employ coaches who instill no confidence in footballers is beyond me.

Well done Strachan

I'm sorry but they do. You never mentioned Maloney, Scott Brown, Marshall, Mulgrew, Morrison and Steven Fletcher.

We might have them in terms of CB and RB, but that's about it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement