Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016: Scotland v Republic of Ireland - 7:45 KO 14/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Liam O wrote: »
    McGeady nearly had a goal and assist tonight, he needs to play, just because he made some bad decisions it doesn't outweigh that he's our best attacking player. Some people have short memories.

I think he meant Brady at LB and McClean ahead of him.

So frustrating to watch that and see how average that Scottish defence was, yet we never threatened anywhere near enough. Didn't get McGeady into the game anywhere near as much as we should have, and I felt the game changed when Long went off. They had way more of the ball in defence and were able to build pressure from there. The midfield were dire, I barely remember 4 or 5 passes together in there all evening. Shocking goal to concede too, ridiculous that someone wasn't watching Brown when he received the ball as easily as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I mean the game plan was basically lob it to walters and have him head it on for long... but as none of the scotish backs were competing with him long was well marshalled..... thus what was the point... this was clear after 10 mins... but sure lets keep doing it for 70 more mins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Dempsey wrote: »
    Yes, Walters & Long failed miserably tonight along with Gibson & Hendricks. Everyone else suffers horrifically when these four positions lack a good performance.

I thought Long and Walters were okay. Two lads in the middle were pretty ****. Ward doesn't deserve a rating. Colemans worse game to date and McGeady definitely unsettled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I can barely remember Gibson even touching the ball. Hendrick I can remember mainly because he almost got himself sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

He signed Emil Heskey. Twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It's as if O'Neill set up to cling on for a draw which is ridiculous considering it's a game we could easily have won. The occasion completely got to McGeadys head. Should have come off at half time. If we continue to play like that, Poland and Scotland will do the double over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

I can barely remember Gibson even touching the ball. Hendrick I can remember mainly because he almost got himself sent off.

Very little that can do when the tactic is hitting high balls on Walters head. Naive to think that was the way to win. No point playing a midfield when we keep lumping the ball to the striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

rob316 wrote: »
    O neill is a dire manager who always resorts to hoof ball but let's face facts those players bar a couple are bang average.

Our strikers are so one dimensional same with our wingers.

The Scots are more average, if anything.
    Shaun Maloney, got one big move in his career, Celtic to Villa. Out of his depth. He's average in the championship and he looked like a world-beater out there. naismith is a good player but looked head and shoulders above anything on the pitch. Anya, of Watford, was made look brilliant. It was just awful stuff from Ireland. we really needed James Mac out there for a bit of quality in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

edgecutter wrote: »
    So are the scots, that's why I and others are annoyed. Strachan got his ordinary team playing properly and they deserved to win.

Strachan has a footballing philosophy he always has, what is O Neill 's?

For all the dire football trap served up atleast he had an idea of how he wanted to play and executed it.
    O Neill is a motivator and when that doesn't work he's a liability

"Carling cup or whatever it's called"...

Our football analyst

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Brady must have a Chewbacca style life debt with Trapatoni and Wenger, won't have any criticism about either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Have to say. Was a very close game. But that refereeing performance was absolutely abysmal for much of the game. Performance wasnt bad (relative to Scots performance) some of the play in the first half from both teams was worse than womens 2ndary school football.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Gibson had 37 touches tonight apparently. Eat your heart out Xavi :pac:

rob316 wrote: »
    Strachan has a footballing philosophy he always has, what is O Neill 's?

For all the dire football trap served up atleast he had an idea of how he wanted to play and executed it.
    O Neill is a motivator and when that doesn't work he's a liability

I agree and it's bloody frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Decided to watch tonight. I don't know why I bothered. Absolutely vile football from Ireland. Just as bad if not worse than when I last watched a game, under Trap about 26 months ago.

It's so frustrating seeing these idiotic managers stuck in the 1980s holding back the players with their ancient tactics. The underutilisation of the midfield and players like Seamus Coleman is ridiculous. He's much more than a defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Liam Brady must be getting a little something from Macbeth after all the mentions of "Hurly Burly" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

fullstop wrote: »
    The Scots are more average, if anything.
    Shaun Maloney, got one big move in his career, Celtic to Villa. Out of his depth. He's average in the championship and he looked like a world-beater out there. naismith is a good player but looked head and shoulders above anything on the pitch. Anya, of Watford, was made look brilliant. It was just awful stuff from Ireland. we really needed James Mac out there for a bit of quality in midfield.

That wasnt a big move, it was a change of scenery. Shaun Maloney has proven himself in the EPL for many a year. The fact that he's status is now a Championship player doesnt change how good he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Germany and Poland to qualify at a canter.

Ireland and Scotland to fight it out for the playoff spot, and neither team will be feared in those playoffs.

2 teams that play very poor football :(

Good point from Sadlier we've 7pts from with 3 away games done against Georgia Germany & Scotland. It's not a disaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Is there really any point continuing on with this management set up?
    We're not going to magically start playing composed confident football under O'Neill. There's a very real danger of us being out of this group after the next two games.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Awful stuff.

If we continue with those tactics, we ain't going to France for sure.

You'd have thought we were playing Germany or Spain tonight, sitting back and not attacking. O'Neill needs to be asked difficult questions, but of course he won't. That was no better than what we watched under Trap.

Disappointing. Scotland fully deserved the win so fair play to them. Maloney's finish was great. Midfield was weak but only wish McCarthy and huolahan were available to provide creativity if instructed. Not sure about martins tactics.

Ward is such a weak link and was exposed time and time again.

And we didn't utilise Coleman or McGeady at all.

Long balls are so easy to read and painful to watch at times.

Overall a fair result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That sinking feeling is back again. In truth we were played off the park. The Scots got the ball down and played with their eyes open. If you're gonna keep punting long balls all night then the opposition are going to cop on that these boys are here for the taking.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Good point from Sadlier we've 7pts from with 3 away games done against Georgia Germany & Scotland. It's not a disaster

I would agree, but are home record recently isn't good enough to qualify.

°°°°°

jprender wrote: »
    Germany and Poland to qualify at a canter.

Ireland and Scotland to fight it out for the playoff spot, and neither team will be feared in those playoffs.

2 teams that play very poor football :(

Scotland aren't playing poor football. We're heading for fourth the way we're playing, Scotland should pull away from us in the table with ease.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Hoolahan & McCarthy would have been out muscled easily in midfield. This was not a game for them considering how we played the ball and how we played the ball in previous games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

We won't beat Scotland, Poland or Germany at home though thats the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

That was awful Gibson and Hendrick offered little or nothing in the middle. Gibson looks unfit and Hendrick still a bit raw. Whelan although all he does is pass the ball sideways at least he actually shows for the ball. Keogh and O'Shea were decent tonight and that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

And that Anya fella was the best player on the park for Scotland against Germany who are the World Champions , Serious amount of silly ****e being peddled in here tonight , We were beaten 1-0 away by a team at the very same level as us , We still have 7 points and have Scotland to come to us, outside of Poland and Gibralter (which is a handy 3 points anyway) all our games are at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

It seems good until one considers this team has to play four more crunch games before next October and doesn't look like they have an asses chance of winning any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

watching ireland always puts me in the worst mood

nullzero wrote: »
    Is there really any point continuing on with this management set up?
    We're not going to magically start playing composed confident football under O'Neill. There's a very real danger of us being out of this group after the next two games.

Seriously I get your disapointed but for fcuks sake ONeill is 4 competitive games in. We have 7pts level with Scotland and 3pts off top with away games against Germany, Scotland & Georgia all done.

It's disappointing but the group is wide open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

ician wrote: »
    watching ireland always puts me in the worst mood

Apart from that German game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

And that Anya fella was the best player on the park for Scotland against Germany who are the World Champions , Serious amount of silly ****e being peddled in here tonight , We were beaten 1-0 away by a team at the very same level as us , We still have 7 points and have Scotland to come to us, outside of Poland and Gibralter (which is a handy 3 points anyway) all our games are at home

Losing is fine but to have no game plan against a team the same level of us is criminal. We didn't look like scoring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

**** sake. We lost to the Scots who can't even vote their way out of the English grasp.

More drink. More of it. Until dawn. And then more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Tox56 wrote: »
    Draw wouldn't have been unfair either, two pretty average sides if were honest
    Scotland weren't average. Controlled the ball well but Ireland are a difficult side to beat

Dempsey wrote: »
    That wasnt a big move, it was a change of scenery. Shaun Maloney has proven himself in the EPL for many a year. The fact that he's status is now a Championship player doesnt change how good he is.

He was a failure at Villa, and it was a big move for him, big step up from the SPL as was proved in his performances. He didn't really prove himself in the EPL for many a year either, a total of 30 games for Villa, most as a sub IIRC, and 49 for Wigan where he fared better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Oat23 wrote: »
    Decided to watch tonight.

All I read. Thanks for supporting Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

This loss isn't catastrophic. The group is still wide open but that performance is seriously alarming. If we continue to play like that, we don't have a prayer of qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We won't beat Scotland, Poland or Germany at home though thats the problem

If we beat Scotland at home it could come down to us and them playing for 3rd.

I think we will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He's right of course but Ireland fans operate on a bipolar spectrum.

°°°°°

Seriously I get your disapointed but for fcuks sake ONeill is 4 competitive games in. We have 7pts level with Scotland and 3pts off top with away games against Germany, Scotland & Georgia all done.

It's disappointing but the group is wide open

We got lucky in Germany and Georgia, Gibraltar doesn't count, Scotland, the side we should be looking to compete with made us look a poor side. O'Neill is playing negative football and we've been lucky to get seven points from the games we've played, if we play the way we have so far we might scrape 13 points together from this group over all.

Glazers Out!

fullstop wrote: »
    He was a failure at Villa, and it was a big move for him, big step up from the SPL as was proved in his performances. He didn't really prove himself in the EPL for many a year either, a total of 30 games for Villa, most as a sub IIRC, and 49 for Wigan where he fared better.

He was barely off the physio table at Celtic and he left Celtic on a precontract come buyout. He admitted he should have stayed for personal reasons. He did prove himself in the EPL, I'm sorry if Wikipedia doesnt spell that out for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭LowOdour

thelad95 wrote: »
    This loss isn't catastrophic. The group is still wide open but that performance is seriously alarming. If we continue to play like that, we don't have a prayer of qualifying.

The problem is we might continue to play like that and still qualify

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If we beat Scotland at home it could come down to us and them playing for 3rd.

I think we will

Play like that in Dublin, we won't. Scots want it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Muck performance again, O'Neill has been a long ball merchant, i said from day one it was a poor appointment and sneaking an away win in Georgia and robbing Germany aint gonna gloss over his outdated tactics, Trap in!! :rolleyes:

Getting ready to cringe here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Fair enough it's not a bad return but the disappointment is that we got something we didn't expect from the Germany game and we have thrown it away tonight.

Poland beat Germany too so that made 2nd even less realistic anyway. So now our hopes are for a playoff and to do that we will need to beat 2 of Poland, Germany and Scotland at home. Currently we are unable to set the tempo in any game so we would be doubtful to win any of those games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

edgecutter wrote: »
    Play like that in Dublin, we won't. Scots want it more.

Well if we dont at least draw with poland in March it might not matter, results depending of course.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement