Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016: Scotland v Republic of Ireland - 7:45 KO 14/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Martin talking tripe about scotland creating not much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

O Neill really annoying in the interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

"The onus is on Scotland to attack" Quite revealing about O Neills mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

adox wrote: »
    O Neill really annoying in the interview.

As ever.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

The idea that things are still open because they'll be playing games at home is off. The Aviva/Landsdowne has hardly been a fortress over the last however many years and Ireland's play hasn't exactly enjoyed an upswing in quality when playing at home. The main advantage is the sympathetic crowd but is that enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

What game was he watching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

O'Neill not too hostile towards O'Donoghue in this interview

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Heh, Brady really doesn't like Sadler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Ritchie is standing up better to the old guard better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Liam is bullying Richie because he misses John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wouldn't have minded losing if O'Neill had sent them out to play football and to attack Scotland.
    BUT what we witnessed from Ireland tonight was just not football.
    Very disappointed. We are better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Aidric wrote: »
    He's right of course but Ireland fans operate on a bipolar spectrum.

Ah come on it's understandable that fans will be unhappy. Sadlier point is true but has more grounds if you look at it before any matches were played. After the result against Germany we left ourselves in a great position.

If we had of won tonight and gone 6 points ahead of Scotland (our main rivals for third place) level with Poland and 3 ahead of Germany it would have been brilliant. Most people were expecting Ireland to do well enough today.

Scotland outplayed us and deserved the win but coming into this a win against Scotland was a big possibility, sadly the team were outplayed for most of the game.

And as been said before the big thing is now that we really do have to beat Scotland in the second clash if we are to have any hope of getting third place. Some big games coming up and it would have helped going into them if we had of got something today.

On the plus side we have a lot of time now to prepare for the Poland game. Hopefully we have most of the key players for it and go in prepared.

°°°°°

cournioni wrote: »
    Heh, Brady really doesn't like Sadler.

Brady wants to be the youngest panelist.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

nullzero wrote: »
    We got lucky in Germany and Georgia, Gibraltar doesn't count, Scotland, the side we should be looking to compete with made us look a poor side. O'Neill is playing negative football and we've been lucky to get seven points from the games we've played, if we play the way we have so far we might scrape 13 points together from this group over all.

So the game we won doesn't count or the draw away to the world champions , or the worlds worst team we beat but tonight's loss away to Scotland does completely.

We have 7 points we'll beat Gibraltar & Georgia there's your 13 easy. Them 4 other games to get a few more I 'd say 6 atleast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Ah come on it's understandable that fans will be unhappy. Sadlier point is true but has more grounds if you look at it before any matches were played. After the result against Germany we left ourselves in a great position.

If we had of won tonight and gone 6 points ahead of Scotland (our main rivals for third place) level with Poland and 3 ahead of Germany it would have been brilliant. Most people expecting Ireland to do well enough today.

Scotland outplayed us and deserved the win but coming into this a win against Scotland was a big possibility, sadly the team were outplayed for most of the game.

And as been said before the big thing is now that we really do have to beat Scotland in the second clash if we are to have any hope of getting third place. Some big games coming up and it would have helped going into them if we had of got something today.

On the plus side we have a lot of time now to prepare for the Poland game. Hopefully we have most of the key players for it and go in prepared.

Exactly. It's not even the fact that we lost the game, it's the manner of it. Not one clear chance created in 90 minutes, the Long one was just diverting an attempt on goal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Lads. Wer just bad. Coleman is the only lad who would get on an Irish team 10 years ago. We don't have the players so everything is a bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

People are doing Ireland a disservice. Or rather, bugging Scotland up higher than they deserve. Their brand of football tonight was as dire as ours. Barring the fantastically worke goal ( that came from a corner than in turn came from one of stephen naismiths many dives) they showed as much footballing class as we did. **** most of their attacks came from hoofed balls forward latched onto by their attacking line and shockingly defended by our back line. There was several occasions where James mc clean was left out wide to defend against two men because Ward was tufked in tight in the box, seemingly marking his own nose.

Both teams relied on long balls and knockdowns. If Scotland were showing a much better brand of football than us they would've scored more. Or it would have taken more than a dodgy corner to score against us (I mean the corner was won in a dodgy manner, the set up for thay goal was, uncharacteristically class)

There's no huge difference in the brand of football displayed by o Neil over trap but there's a big difference in the results. Which is, at the end of the day, what matters. Id say a few people neglect to remember how some of our biggest ever games were won. 90th min long punt to Niall Quinn fornkeane to score. **** football. Best day in Irish sport etc.

°°°°°

Soups123 wrote: »
    So the game we won doesn't count or the draw away to the world champions , or the worlds worst team we beat but tonight's loss away to Scotland does completely.

We have 7 points we'll beat Gibraltar & Georgia there's your 13 easy. Them 4 other games to get a few more I 'd say 6 atleast

Three points against Gibraltar and maybe one each from the games against Scotland at home and Georgia. I was wrong I meant to say 12 points.

Glazers Out!

I'm generally a fan but something needs to be done about Roy too. The hassle this week probably wasn't his fault but the stand off with the referee tonight was annoying. You don't see other assistant managers getting involved.

To be honest, I think O'Neill needs to grow a pair and tell Roy to sit the f... down at times. He brings a lot to the table but we need to see a little less of him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Sadlier basically said Scotland's performance was less crap than ours and that it was a rubbish game and the 2 old fogeys disagreed.

Scotland were the better side but they never looked that threatening in the final third either.

But don't let that get in the way of Dunphy and Brady's narrative.

Love to see someone with knowledge, real insight and most importantly balls tackle the ****e Brady and Dunphy talk

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    I'm generally a fan but something needs to be done about Roy too. The hassle this week probably wasn't his fault but the stand off with the referee tonight was annoying. You don't see other assistant managers getting involved.

To be honest, I think O'Neill needs to grow a pair and tell Roy to sit the f... down at times. He brings a lot to the table but we need to see a little less of him!

What exactly is he bringing to the table? High profile name that's about it. I wouldn't miss Martin or Roy at this stage.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Yillan wrote: »
    Liam is bullying Richie because he misses John

Bull. You can disagree with someone, doesnt mean its bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Coleman and Walters interviews sound like guys who already know the game is up.

I'm a fan of both Keane and O'Neill and want them to do well. After that game though you do get the feeling the training and match preparation was all about how to defend and stop Scotland from scoring rather how to attack and score against them. It is only one game (a big one though) and hopefully we can still go on to do well in the qualification. It will require us punching above our weight and getting points off Poland though.

Three points against Gibraltar and maybe one each from the games against Scotland at home and Georgia. I was wrong I meant to say 12 points.

Just getting more embarresing really, just take the loss on the chin and move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Dempsey wrote: »
    That wasnt a big move, it was a change of scenery. Shaun Maloney has proven himself in the EPL for many a year. The fact that he's status is now a Championship player doesnt change how good he is.

Really? I mean...he played in the Premiership, but proven himself is a bit much. Maybe for a promoted team he'd be handy, but he was only a squad player at Villa and was in and out of the team at Wigan who got relegated.

°°°°°

Just getting more embarresing really, just take the loss on the chin and move on

Embarrassing? We deserved to lose because of the way we were set up to play the game. Martin and Roy are responsible for that. Should I say they're doing a good job?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Corholio wrote: »
    Really? I mean...he played in the Premiership, but proven himself is a bit much. Maybe for a promoted team he'd be handy, but he was only a squad player at Villa and was in and out of the team at Wigan who got relegated.

He played when fit

It shows there lack of knowledge that they talk about Scotland like they Schooled us, Scotland were equally as **** tonight. The crowd made there bit of possession feel like more but they were equally dire for a home team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

Jesus Christ. Turn in opinion since Germany game is incredible. Fickle. We're seven points from a possible twelve, exactly where we should be at this point, albeit through different than expected means. The squad clearly supports O'Neill and has a good spirit, do you remember the acrimony between certain players and Trap? Short memories.

Football is pretty "aerial" all right, but not nearly as dogmatic as Trap's version of it.

Embarrassing? We deserved to lose because of the way we were set up to play the game. Martin and Roy are responsible for that. Should I say they're doing a good job?

What did you say after Germany and Georgia or before tonight's game.

Your spouting because your disapointed to suggest well only get 5 more points in this group and that ONeill and Keane should go is ridiculous

What exactly is he bringing to the table? High profile name that's about it. I wouldn't miss Martin or Roy at this stage.

To be fair I think what he brings is experience of a career at the top level and he might be able to instil in some of our guys the dedication and preparation levels he had himself as well as his advice in terms of dealing with really big games and scenarios.

But I agree with you that at the moment we don't see a lot of evidence of that. Or that he is having a greater effect on the players than any other assistant might have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

When Keane was being reprimanded by the ref for leaving the technical area to shout about the soft free that Scotland had been awarded are there people there who would have liked him to show the ref his back and walk off? That would have been pretty ****ing stupid wouldn't it.

People just need to have a go I suppose.......

If you don't recognise anything Keane would bring to the party either there is little point trying to illuminate it for you. Either way, the tactics are O Neills, nobody elses, I suspect some think Roy has more input then he actually does for whatever reason.

Anyways, while O Neill is at the helm I doubt much will change, style wise anyway. We have been lucky to get the points we have so far, but we do have them so not all bad I guess. Heres hoping he can keep getting lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

very poor
    why cant anyone in the irish team take a decent corner that is outside 6 yard box and gives our big men a chance.
    Poor midfield performance Darren Gibson wasnt interested, and one stage rather than receive a pass he points backwards and walks along.
    All the hype got to the players especially McClean and McGeady they were emotionaly drained and flat
    Says alot about how poor the EPL would be if it didnt have all the continentals.
    It was obvious we needed a change, a positional change or a sub, just something cos plan A wasnt working , cant believe oNeil didnt make one til lafter the goal.
    Hard to believe we went to Scotland with a mindset of not losing the game, we should have been targetting the win.
    We let the Scots bully us and kick us around.
    Why did players keep playing hte ball back into crowded areas instead of spreading it across the pitch.
    When an irish player gets the ball he sets off in one directon and goes a few paces that way but never contemplates to look in the other direction and change where he is heading.
    Scotland were vulnerable when we played some ball but we let them gain in confidence but hitting long ball and not pressing them.
    I think at this stage all the baggage and drama Keane brings to the camp is not worth the advice he is bringing, cos i dont see any indication on the pitch of his influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

To go and play that style of football and lose is doubly bitter. Not only do we lose but we look really bad to top it off. Makes everyone feel low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Dempsey wrote: »
    He played when fit

Not at Villa he didn't, not regularly. He was always a bit part player.

°°°°°

What did you say after Germany and Georgia or before tonight's game.

Your spouting because your disapointed to suggest well only get 5 more points in this group and that ONeill and Keane should go is ridiculous

I'm not disappointed, I'm used to seeing Ireland struggle. After those games I felt we were lucky. I thought we were going to be found out tonight, sadly I was right. The only reason I'd suggest the management dream ticket be ripped up is that we're not progressing from where we were under Trap.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭BarcodeMuncher

I think Scotland just showed us quality doesn't prevent ya from playing the ball through midfield, teams even on paper and if not for injury I would tip us for quality but what is instilled in them I don't know. They can play footie for their clubs but they put on green and they hoof it to our forwards.

I know teams at clubs all round the place that at least attempt to keep it on the ground and actually look better than the crop of our country. I dare say too there are left backs in the LOI who aren't destined to hoof it the length of the line with the time Ward had.

Derby top of the championship, good football and Everton renowned for playing it from their goal line offering us lads who then want to see who can punt it farthest. I see Junior C teams who play it better from the back and they consist of old men and kids so really don't want to hear we don't have the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

It shows there lack of knowledge that they talk about Scotland like they Schooled us, Scotland were equally as **** tonight. The crowd made there bit of possession feel like more but they were equally dire for a home team

I completely disagree. There were a number of times tonight when Scotland got the ball and played some nice football. We only strung a few passes together once, maybe twice, in the game. We were a good bit worse than Scotland tonight.

Jesus Christ. Turn in opinion since Germany game is incredible. Fickle. We're seven points from a possible twelve, exactly where we should be at this point, albeit through different than expected means. The squad clearly supports O'Neill and has a good spirit, do you remember the acrimony between certain players and Trap? Short memories.

Football is pretty "aerial" all right, but not nearly as dogmatic as Trap's version of it.

I never was a big fan of saying people are fickle if they comment about a loss negatively. Not many people are giving up on O'Neill or the team just disappointed in the overall play and result.

All is by no means lost but it is completely understandable to be disappointed that we didn't capitalise on the position we had got ourselves into before the game had started. The result today has made things a great deal more difficult for us for qualification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Congrats Scotland, well deserved win. Naismith, Mulgrew and Maloney all superb. Ireland midfield non existent, Gibson, Hendricks and McClean, deary me. Surely we have players more deserving of a jersey than these chancers? And Whelan gives Walters man of the match, enough said.... ?!!!

frimpong wrote: »
    I completely disagree. There were a number of times tonight when Scotland got the ball and played some nice football. We only strung a few passes together once, maybe twice, in the game. We were a good bit worse than Scotland tonight.
    If we did it twice they did it 4 times it was a **** performance by both.

Forde was never worked, we both hit the post, Long missed a great chance from 6 yards. The only joy they got was on Warf and enjoyed more in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

tastyt wrote: »
    Lads. Wer just bad. Coleman is the only lad who would get on an Irish team 10 years ago. We don't have the players so everything is a bonus

Coleman was awful today and rarely if ever plays well for Ireland

°°°°°

If we did it twice they did it 4 times it was a **** performance by both.

Forde was never worked, we both hit the post, Long missed a great chance from 6 yards. The only joy they got was on Warf and enjoyed more in the middle

Scotland performed as well as they were capable of performing. Ireland didn't, they deserved the win and they did play well.

Glazers Out!

Brewster wrote: »
    and McClean, deary me. Surely we have players more deserving of a jersey than these chancers? !

Ireland fans have the worst memories ever.
    Do you remember McClean against Germany? I think he deserves a jersey!

When we got a point against Germany, everyone here was overly happy with the result, but a blind man could see we were blessed that night to get a draw. Germany should have hammered us. We got lucky...

And we had no luck tonight, now everyone is a negative, and giving the players/ management stick. Cop on ffs!

Scotland performed as well as they were capable of performing. Ireland didn't, they deserves the win and they did play well.

Scotland deserved the win, were at home and played as they were capable. We played poorly and were only a little worse than them.

To go and play that style of football and lose is doubly bitter. Not only do we lose but we look really bad to top it off. Makes everyone feel low.

We played awful against Germany, but that didnt matter cause we got a lucky goal?????
    I felt low after the german game, the cracks were there that a result like tonights could happen. And I cant see Ireland getting a point against Poland in dublin either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Scotland performed as well as they were capable of performing. Ireland didn't,

Are we capable of more though? I haven't seen it.

What would you say Ireland's best performance has been since O'Neill took over? I would say tonight is pretty typical of what we've had all year. Perhaps the Italy friendly before the WC was the only exception where we played a little. Then again Italy went on to draw against Luxembourg a few days later so I don't know what exactly was on their minds at the time.

Coleman was awful today and rarely if ever plays well for Ireland

Awful???
    Did you seriously watch the game?
    He was not as good as he can be, I'll give you that but he doesnt get a chance to go forward for Ireland. He rarely went over the half way line tonight. Ireland dont have enough of the ball for him to do that.
    I thought he played well, mainly defending, he had a lot to do.

°°°°°

roanoke wrote: »
    Are we capable of more though? I haven't seen it.

What would you say Ireland's best performance has been since O'Neill took over? I would say tonight is pretty typical of what we've had all year. Perhaps the Italy friendly before the WC was the only exception where we played a little. Then again Italy went on to draw against Luxembourg a few days later so I don't know what exactly was on their minds at the time.

We've had no convincing performances under O'Neill as far as I can see. It just seems to be an exercise in futility to replace one manager with a dour attitude towards our players with another who has seemingly the exact same attitude.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement