Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016: Scotland v Republic of Ireland - 7:45 KO 14/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Fudge You wrote: »
    Awful???
    Did you seriously watch the game?
    He was not as good as he can be, I'll give you that but he doesnt get a chance to go forward for Ireland. He rarely went over the half way line tonight. Ireland dont have enough of the ball for him to do that.
    I thought he played well, mainly defending, he had a lot to do.

I agree with ya here. From the looks of it Coleman was told before the game not to venture too far forward as much incase Anya and Robertson caught us on the counter down the wing. Neither O'Shea or Keogh would have the pace to deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Soups123 wrote: »
    It shows there lack of knowledge that they talk about Scotland like they Schooled us, Scotland were equally as **** tonight. The crowd made there bit of possession feel like more but they were equally dire for a home team
    Scotland dominated. Ireland came for a draw....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Scottie99 wrote: »

Pretty accurate to be fair.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Scotland were a little more ambitious, we came for a draw is more accurate.

The tested Forde once all game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

22 year old man seriously injured after falling from top tier of Celtic park!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

That was one of the worst matches I have seen in many a year .

Never once tonight did Ireland try and get the ball down on the floor and pass it around.
    It was just route one hoof up to Walters and try to play off that .Caveman football.

No composure,no vision,all fear ,just get rid of it like a hot potato.
    Every throw in was hurled as far up the line as possible .

Its embarrassing that professional players dont have the courage to control a ball in a tight space and pass it .Just put the boot through everything .

As bad as Ireland were ,Scotland werent much better .
    Two poor teams that again highlight just how low the standard of International football has dropped .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Annoying match to lose as I felt the game was just starting to fizzle out and head for a draw when they scored. Well worked training ground goal but a lot of slack defending as well to allow Brown to drift into so much space.

Ireland looked a bit one dimensional in midfield without their two best passers in McCarthy and Hoolahan but would Hoolahan have even started? Doubtful.

Strachan obviously encourages his players to get the ball down and play. Even if they have limited ability. MON seems like a watered down version of Trap. It's all very direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

22 year old man seriously injured after falling from top tier of Celtic park!

Source? Awful if true!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Source? Awful if true!

Sky news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Soups123 wrote: »
    Scotland were a little more ambitious, we came for a draw is more accurate.

The tested Forde once all game

When a team sets up defensively it's tough breaking them down. Scotland played the ball around well, where as Ireland were very direct. Hooooff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Terrible performance, deserved nothing from the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Replaced trap with the Irish trap, dnt know why people are surprised

That was awful

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

The only thing separated the teams tonight was the small bit of quality Scotland showed from the corner their only real bit quality they produced. Ireland on the other hand lacked any sort of quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

We were a total disgrace, both on and off the pitch.

Second to nearly every ball, Keane not starting,Long was his usual ****e self. We played no soccer at all.

Thank god I was pissed while watching that scutter, it dulled the pain a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Fudge You wrote: »
    Awful???
    Did you seriously watch the game?
    He was not as good as he can be, I'll give you that but he doesnt get a chance to go forward for Ireland. He rarely went over the half way line tonight. Ireland dont have enough of the ball for him to do that.
    I thought he played well, mainly defending, he had a lot to do.
    Played well ffs. Did you watch the game? Robertson and Anya were beating him all night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

When a team sets up defensively it's tough breaking them down. Scotland played the ball around well, where as Ireland were very direct. Hooooff!

Scotland did not move the ball around much, come on I get people are pissed but they were equally ****. The had the ball a bit more but no way were they passing it around. They created nothing bar the goal and Walters header of the post.

It's was an awful game alround. Just texting Scottish Friends here who are at the game and they said the same atmosphere was great but if was a **** game until the goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

We're shíte :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

tastyt wrote: »
    Lads. Wer just bad. Coleman is the only lad who would get on an Irish team 10 years ago. We don't have the players so everything is a bonus

I hate this.

We are not bad. Tonight was won by Scotland because Strachan encourages his team to play football, while MON encourages his to kick the ball up the field as fast as possible and pressurise.

Both teams worked as hard as each other, and both teams have as much quality.

Long, McGeady, Coleman, O'Shea would all get into the Scotland team. McCarthy too when fit.

They've just got a manager who encourages them to play, and trusts them to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Played well ffs. Did you watch the game? Robertson and Anya were beating him all night

And you wonder why he didn't play well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

MON should have been more gracious in defeat, claiming scotland didn't play it on the ground

they were the better by far and deserved it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Dempsey wrote: »
    He played when fit

Not at Villa he certainly didn't, scored a 1 or 2 but was otherwise a disappointing player. He was alright at Wigan, but a luxury type of player in a team with a gung ho style that caught up with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Corholio wrote: »
    Not at Villa he certainly didn't, scored a 1 or 2 but was otherwise a disappointing player. He was alright at Wigan, but a luxury type of player in a team with a gung ho style that caught up with them.

So injury had no role in underperformance or wikipedia stats.

I wonder if people will write off Falcao as not good enough with his ongoing injury problems.

I think the worst part of the game, even worse than the constant hitting the ball long, was the fact that Scotland didn't look like scoring. They had lots of possession but did **** all with it. That midfield..........jesus christ it was awful. I'm amazed a player with the ****ing slow foot speed of Gibson has had the career he's had, takes him an extra second every time to move the ball.

There was a genuine threat there with McGeady and Long, with the right type of play there would have been chances, the little moments we had showed that. Unfortunately the dire tactics nullified that. I didn't expect us to go out and attack Scotland from the start, but it would have been nice to do it at some stage during the match. Under O'Neill I expected plain football, saw enough of it at Villa, but that was even below those standards. It was a performance of fear more than anything, and wanting to scrape home with a point without trusting the players to do more than that.

So injury had no role in underperformance or wikipedia stats.

I wonder if people will write off Falcao as not good enough with his ongoing injury problems.

I watched him plenty at Villa, he wasn't injured then. I'm not saying he was a terrible player, but he wasn't good enough for midtable team and upwards.

I watched him plenty at Villa, he wasn't injured then. I'm not saying he was a terrible player, but he wasn't good enough for midtable team and upwards.

He had a good few injuries from his short spell at Villa.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

that was abysmal :(
    really lacking any direction on the field. think Brady said it best, we have been riding our luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

SlickRic wrote: »
    I hate this.

We are not bad. Tonight was won by Scotland because Strachan encourages his team to play football, while MON encourages his to kick the ball up the field as fast as possible and pressurise.

Both teams worked as hard as each other, and both teams have as much quality.

Long, McGeady, Coleman, O'Shea would all get into the Scotland team. McCarthy too when fit.

They've just got a manager who encourages them to play, and trusts them to play.

It can't always be the managers fault though. I think we can be humble enough to accept that trap and MON know the capabilities of these players better than us. I think they believed that if we try to play ball through midfield that we would have too many turnovers of possession and concede a lot of needless chances/goals.

I understand what your saying and don't mean to be ultra negative but it's not as if he has xavi and modric looking for the ball and wer ignoring them and kicking over them. What is disappointing though is that Mulgrew and brown looked better ballers in midfield than us, that's depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Glenn Whelan and Paul Green would have been better than Gibson and Hendricks.

Too much long ball, but this group is wide open. Scotland will drop points, Poland will drop points, far from over yet

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

I wouldn't blame our defenders for bypassing Gibson either he's not good enough for this level he's not good enough for EPL either don't know how he's getting away with it at Everton. The only thing he has is a decent shot on him but he's to lazy to put himself in the position to get strikes off . Brings noting to any team he plays in

He had a good few injuries from his short spell at Villa.

He was available for a fair few games and was on the bench for more than he played, and was usually substituted when he did. He just wasn't good at Villa, him joining a poorer team and subsequently getting relegated goes along the same lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

10396687_400_400_752_367_fit_0_e71e9be80fd350e1c1b8356d519941fe.jpg?

10396689_400_400_752_367_fit_0_9856187e6205352409ad9dc7e49c4a6f.jpg?

10396685_400_400_752_367_fit_0_6cf9477ed8b1f76e0c57398e806e5423.jpg?

10396667_400_400_752_367_fit_0_ea27fa346c029250c2ec393a529ac705.jpg?

10396487_400_400_752_367_fit_0_e5f5775c16f5d74e8c8ac8e0429abf76.jpg?

10396485_400_400_752_367_fit_0_9507f65cd132cfdb160307ea881655e2.jpg?

What were the fights in Celtic park over? was it Scottish fans amongst themselves or were they picking on an Irish fan(s)?

http://www.snspix.com/10396687/print/752/10396687.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Well your man getting the slaps in the pics is wearing a skirt so Id imagine he is Scottish anyway

kryogen wrote: »
    Well your man getting the slaps in the pics is wearing a skirt so Id imagine he is Scottish anyway

didn't spot that but it's reassuring if some louts from the same side had a little scrap. Was a little worried considering Irish fans were scattered all over the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

4th place is ours.

Ireland were well bet tonight. Lucky to have 7 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Anyone have a picture of the away end? Didn't see any shots of it on the tv. Not much colour in the stands. Seemed like there was about 10,000 Irish or so. Was very load and clear when they did sing

He was available for a fair few games and was on the bench for more than he played, and was usually substituted when he did. He just wasn't good at Villa, him joining a poorer team and subsequently getting relegated goes along the same lines.

Absolutely worse than a alot of wrecks that played for villa. :pac:

Maloney was well able for EPL football, despite injury restricting him. Thats not in doubt tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Why are Ireland 4th; bottom of the 3 teams on 7 points when they have the best goal difference of the three?

If it's game against then at the very least they should be ahead of the Germans after drawing with them.

2 Germany 4 3 7
    3 Scotland 4 1 7
    4 Ireland 4 7 7

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

tastyt wrote: »
    It can't always be the managers fault though. I think we can be humble enough to accept that trap and MON know the capabilities of these players better than us. I think they believed that if we try to play ball through midfield that we would have too many turnovers of possession and concede a lot of needless chances/goals.

Your argument would carry some weight if Trap and MON didn't make the same assessments and didn't come to the same conclusions on what style would be most suitable with every team they manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Why are Ireland 4th; bottom of the 3 teams on 7 points when they have the best goal difference of the three?

If it's game against then at the very least they should be ahead of the Germans after drawing with them.

2 Germany 4 3 7
    3 Scotland 4 1 7
    4 Ireland 4 7 7

When three teams are tied like that it becomes a seperate mini-league of all the games played between the particular teams. As it stands Germany would have 4 pts in that league, Scotland 3pts and Ireland 1pt. Hence Germany 2nd, Scotland 3rd and Ireland 4th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying#Tiebreakers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I was very surprised we ended the game with 11 men, I thought that we were very rash with some of our challenges, which could also be said for some of the Scots. I think the Ref contributed to this as he was very soft and let the game turn into too much of a battle.

No complaints about the defeat, the Scots were very worthy winners and I have to give a mention about Naismith, he was brilliant and gave our midfield/defense so many problems(He'd easily walk into the Irish team).

Its hard to know where we can go from here, we were fairly poor all over but I think Walters and Forde can be proud of their performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

**** off MON.

i still can't believe we've 7 points. we were **** in all our games so far. McGeady magic V Georgia got us 3 points and the other point was the jammiest last minute goal from O'Shea. We really are lucky to be where we are. Big positive though. 4 of the next 5 games are at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jaysis I'm fairly disheartened after that tbh. It really does put our results against Germany but especially Georgia into perspective.

But for two excellent last minute goals we would be 3 points less now and staring at the other teams from a fair distance below.

Poland dismantling Georgia was an eye-opener and I fully expect Scotland to go there and get a win too. Before tonight I thought Georgia could knick points off both. Lot of work to be done. Obvious things such as LB need to be sorted. (any hope for diversifying Robbie Brady enough for this?)

Slight positives from the match -

1) Richard Keogh could be a serious asset for us in games to come.

2) I thought the Long/Walters partnership looked pretty good. He'll give them another go this Tuesday against USA I'd say.

Not having McCarthy hurt us more than I thought it would. Gibson hasn't been up for it at all and Hendrick was a big let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Wilson when fit should be deployed at LB to get ward off the pitch, all he ever does is give the ball away or be caught out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Big positive though. 4 of the next 5 games are at home.

To be honest a lot of our better performances in recent years have come away from home.

• Advertisement

Absolutely worse than a alot of wrecks that played for villa. :pac:

Maloney was well able for EPL football, despite injury restricting him. Thats not in doubt tbh

Villa's team was half decent then, lot better than it is now. He could do a job in the PL, but he wouldn't be starting for too many teams to be honest. It wasn't injury why he didnt play at Villa, he just didn't perform and there was better players playing ahead of him.

I say that as someone who didn't mind Maloney at all, he showed promise in games at Villa. But consistently doing it for multiple 90 minutes he didn't perform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

The fan who fell has died :(

A 22 year old man has died after falling into a stairwell.

Shocking news, condolences to his family and may he rest in peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

90 minutes lasted an eternity, I think I lashed 10 pints back. Standard of football is ape like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

The fan who fell has died :(

A 22 year old man has died after falling into a stairwell.

Shocking news, condolences to his family and may he rest in peace

Was he at the match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Its gonna be a battle for 3rd, we need McCarthy and Whelan back.

Scotland were well up for it in every sense, fans management etc.

Can't help feel McQueen and his bigotry worked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement