Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016: Scotland v Republic of Ireland - 7:45 KO 14/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Its gonna be a battle for 3rd, we need McCarthy and Whelan back.

Scotland were well up for it in every sense, fans management etc.

Can't help feel McQueen and his bigotry worked.
    Bigotry ??? So booing opposing players is wrong what did he say that was bigoted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

The fan who fell has died :(

A 22 year old man has died after falling into a stairwell.

Shocking news, condolences to his family and may he rest in peace

That's awful, can't believe someone died at the game. Don't know what to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Bigotry ??? So booing opposing players is wrong what did he say that was bigoted

All this it's OK for English players to play for Scotland but Scottish players playing for Ireland should be booed and its a disgrace.

What is wrong with Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

All this it's OK for English players to play for Scotland but Scottish players playing for Ireland should be booed and its a disgrace.

Look I don't care who they play for let's make that clear. And as for Enlish players playing for Scotland so be it. To be honest if I had my way yo would only qualify to play for the country you were born in or at most parents were born in. I still don't think he made any actual bigoted comments stupid maybe but bigoted no

Awful to hear a man died at the game :(

Look I don't care who they play for let's make that clear. And as for Enlish players playing for Scotland so be it. To be honest if I had my way yo would only qualify to play for the country you were born in or at most parents were born in. I still don't think he made any actual bigoted comments stupid maybe but bigoted no

He clearly has a problem with Ireland.

As for if you had your way about the rules, well you don't.

It is what it is and he has a massive issue with Scottish players playing for Ireland but not English players playing for Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Stupid logic.
    Football fans will usually be accepting of players who play for their team.
    If there was a Scotsman playing for England however, I'm sure their reception would be less than welcoming.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Stupid logic.
    Football fans will usually be accepting of players who play for their team.
    If there was a Scotsman playing for England however, I'm sure their reception would be less than welcoming.

My point exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    10396485_400_400_752_367_fit_0_9507f65cd132cfdb160307ea881655e2.jpg?

What were the fights in Celtic park over? was it Scottish fans amongst themselves or were they picking on an Irish fan(s)?

http://www.snspix.com/10396687/print/752/10396687.html

what a bizarre link :confused:

canvas prints?? who the hell wants a canvas print of a scuffle at a football match??

My point exactly.

Eh?

• Advertisement

Think it's time to unfollow thread.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Eh?

Who cares who plays for whatever country, childish behaviour.

Who cares who plays for whatever country, childish behaviour.

But not bigotry, good stuff.

The whole dropping Robbie Keane thing didn't really work out IMHO.

Scotland knowing that we were going out to hoof the ball to the the more mobile but less troubling Long suited them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭LowOdour

The whole dropping Robbie Keane thing didn't really work out IMHO.

Scotland knowing that we were going out to hoof the ball to the the more mobile but less troubling Long suited them.

As opposed to to hoofing the ball to the less mobile Keane? I think the emphasis should be on the hoofing part, and not who it was been hoofed to

LowOdour wrote: »
    As opposed to to hoofing the ball to the less mobile Keane?

Nope, just as opposed to dropping your 65 goal striker in the hope that the 11 goal guy can replicate the magic.

There is a reason there is 54 goals between them, and it aint just appearances. Fair play to O'Neill for being brave, but he picked the wrong game to start experiments.

fryup wrote: »
    what a bizarre link :confused:

canvas prints?? who the hell wants a canvas print of a scuffle at a football match??

It's got a watermark so people can't just copy it and claim it as their own without paying the person who owns or took the photo.

It looks like Scottish fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Looking at our qualifying record in recent years it shows we just can't beat a decent team and we really only win matches against the minnows.
    World cup 2014 we failed to beat Austria Germany or Sweden
    Euro 12 we failed to beat Russia or Slovakia
    World cup 2010 we failed to beat Italy Bulgaria or montenegro.
    Euro 2008 we managed to beat Slovakia that was our last win against decent opposition.
    Granted we did beat France 1 0 in 90 mins in the 2010 play off but we have gone the guts of 20 games now in qualifying games without beating a team from any of the first few pots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Awful to hear a man died at the game :(

Might be me looking too much into the coincidence but Irish Times homepage has the story of the man dying from a fall in the stadium right under the match report headline which says "Scots win after crash bang wallop night" :( unfortunate wording I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Our setup was fine.

The problem was we had no interest in getting the ball down, and no real interest in playing between the lines...something McGeady and Long in particular are more than capable of doing.

Whereas the Scots had Naismith, Maloney and even Fletcher in those gaps constantly.

They played to win, we played to not lose.

To me, it was that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Exactly, there wasn't any bigots. Just general booing like if Henry turned up at the aviva. Outside Rangers the majority of Scots would call Ireland they're second team. I know before I came here I'd supported Ireland if Scotland weren't involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Of course then there's the tricky situation like if a child is born in one country (as were his parents) but their family move to a new country when he is 2 years old and he spends the rest of his life in that new country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Suffice to say I regret staying up till around 530am to watch this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LowOdour wrote: »
    As opposed to to hoofing the ball to the less mobile Keane? I think the emphasis should be on the hoofing part, and not who it was been hoofed to

Lol, for a more nuanced and intelligent approach AND for leaving our most technically gifted and intelligent player off the field.

Computes.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Our setup was fine.

The problem was we had no interest in getting the ball down, and no real interest in playing between the lines...something McGeady and Long in particular are more than capable of doing.

Whereas the Scots had Naismith, Maloney and even Fletcher in those gaps constantly.

They played to win, we played to not lose.

To me, it was that simple.

It's more simple to say that Naismith was head and shoulders the best player on the field with an ability to link play and create in tight spaces that we didn't have (well we had, but he was on the bench).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's more simple to say that Naismith was head and shoulders the best player on the field with an ability to link play and create in tight spaces that we didn't have (well we had, but he was on the bench).

Naismith is a much better player than Keane, not in Keane's heyday, but now he is. Keane doesn't have the legs for a match being played at that pace anymore either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's just very disappointing that we went out with the sole purpose of hoofing the ball up the pitch constantly instead of just calmly playing it from the back and keeping the ball. That is not a fault of the Irish team - that is the policy of MON.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

It's just very disappointing that we went out with the sole purpose of hoofing the ball up the pitch constantly instead of just calmly playing it from the back and keeping the ball. That is not a fault of the Irish team - that is the policy of MON.

In fairness we hadn't got the quality or football brain in midfield to string passes together keep the ball or take the sting out of the game

fullstop wrote: »
    Naismith is a much better player than Keane, not in Keane's heyday, but now he is. Keane doesn't have the legs for a match being played at that pace anymore either.

I think Keane is still better than he's credited for on here, he is still ripping up the MLS.

The point is though, once you start a lineup like we did the nature of the football becomes inevitable. Keogh was brave and brilliant, but his ability on the ball at the back (alongside O'Shea and Walters) starts to limit your options. McClean / Walters compound it. You can't have your cake and eat it too. People saying 'Keane can't run it upfront on his own, play Long' getting surprised when we play it long and direct are kidding themselves.

Fwiw, I had no problem with our approach last night in general, though I do feel Keane is likely to be able to stick away a chance should it fall in a way Walters / Long for all their honesty can't.

We made it tight and held our end of a battle throughout. There wasn't a whole lot unexpected in how it played out given the build up and line ups. The difference IS the fact that they had one player in the final third capable of getting a foot on it in tight spaces and creating more options. We didn't, and in a narrow game their additional chances / phases of pressure paid off.

People had fully bought into notions that Trapp was selling us short. I didn't see it then and I don't see it now. We have a bad crop of players, who are game and brave (McClean personifies the squad in many respects). In that context, leaving our most able goal scorer out seems silly and - if that's what people want - they need to not be surprised with what they get by doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In fairness we hadn't got the quality or football brain in midfield to string passes together keep the ball or take the sting out of the game

I don't agree. Worse teams than Ireland are able to hold on to the ball and pass in midfield. This was a policy of MON not to do that.

Northern Ireland, for example, are able to hold the ball far better than us because they are told that is how they will play. I saw the Faroe Islands do it against Greece yesterday with few issues.:rolleyes:

Fact is we have once again gone with a manager who only has one tactic away from home and that is to make the fans have no nails left by the end of the game.

We will see next year if the route 1 football is employed at the Aviva. I hope not.

The only times Ireland played well last night and threatened was the odd occasion they had opportunity to play through midfield and use the wings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Look... a lot of people think we should have gone all out and playing an attacking game against Germany, in Germany, for the full 90 minutes. Good luck trying to convince them we are not better than Scotland all over the pitch (contrary to reality). ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I know last night was a tense game but the standard of football was atrocious.
    We have 4 out of the next 5 homes games. we have to go for the win. we have to be positive. we have to start playing football.
    That mean Walters, Whelan should not be on the pitch to as they can't actually play football. The give 100% and never let you down but they are at nothing. McClean is not up to much either

If everyone is fit this should be the team

Coleman -Keogh- o'shea- anyone but ward maybe meyler
    Brady- Gibson -MCarthy -McGeady
    Holohan
    Keane/Long

Northern Ireland, for example, are able to hold the ball far better than us because they are told that is how they will play.

Soundly beaten last night in Romania 2-0.

fullstop wrote: »

No he's not.

And he will never get within a mile of 65 international goals.

But he'll have a handy career in the EPL, he works hard and makes the most of himself, and that's admirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Known hoofball manager is appointed and the team proceed to play hoofball, go figure. Oh no wait, it's the players' fault.

Meanwhile fans of hoofball are satisfied and everybody else is left pulling their hair out. I long for the day when Ireland appoint a manager who believes that footballers passing the ball to their teammates is a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Pro. F wrote: »
    Known hoofball manager is appointed and the team proceed to play hoofball, go figure. Oh no wait, it's the players' fault.

Meanwhile fans of hoofball are satisfied and everybody else is left pulling their hair out. I long for the day when Ireland appoint a manager who believes that footballers passing the ball to their teammates is a good idea.

Get out of here with your sound logic....

Augmerson wrote: »
    Soundly beaten last night in Romania 2-0.

They were 100% in the group before that though I think, and good value for it. They don't have the best players, but they're playing some really good football at the minute, in contrast to our lads.
    I think Keane is still better than he's credited for on here, he is still ripping up the MLS.

The point is though, once you start a lineup like we did the nature of the football becomes inevitable. Keogh was brave and brilliant, but his ability on the ball at the back (alongside O'Shea and Walters) starts to limit your options. McClean / Walters compound it. You can't have your cake and eat it too. People saying 'Keane can't run it upfront on his own, play Long' getting surprised when we play it long and direct are kidding themselves.

Fwiw, I had no problem with our approach last night in general, though I do feel Keane is likely to be able to stick away a chance should it fall in a way Walters / Long for all their honesty can't.

We made it tight and held our end of a battle throughout. There wasn't a whole lot unexpected in how it played out given the build up and line ups. The difference IS the fact that they had one player in the final third capable of getting a foot on it in tight spaces and creating more options. We didn't, and in a narrow game their additional chances / phases of pressure paid off.

People had fully bought into notions that Trapp was selling us short. I didn't see it then and I don't see it now. We have a bad crop of players, who are game and brave (McClean personifies the squad in many respects). In that context, leaving our most able goal scorer out seems silly and - if that's what people want - they need to not be surprised with what they get by doing so.

Good post, and while I don't 100% agree with your views on Keane, I see where you're coming from. For me, the biggest problem is that apart from Coleman, none of our back 4 seem like they can pass the ball out of defence. It's either back to Forde for a hoof or just hoof it themselves. I noticed a few times last night too where we had a bit of space near the middle and Gibson wasn't really making himself available for the pass, compounding the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

One of the worst performances I've seen from Ireland. Deserved nothing from the game. I've yet to see anything to suggest that MON was a better appointment that Mick McCarthy. McCarthy himself, if he is to ever return, is better coming in after the MON fascination has blown over. Last night is the the future. At 3 years of hoofball lie in store!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

One of the worst performances I've seen from Ireland. Deserved nothing from the game. I've yet to see anything to suggest that MON was a better appointment that Mick McCarthy. McCarthy himself, if he is to ever return, is better coming in after the MON fascination has blown over. Last night is the the future. At 3 years of hoofball lie in store!

Many of us said the same thing before MON was appointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I'd not be surprised if this was Mick McCarthy's attitude to being offered the Ireland job again.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmgbBSuaYr8&t=12s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

No he's not.

And he will never get within a mile of 65 international goals.

But he'll have a handy career in the EPL, he works hard and makes the most of himself, and that's admirable.

Loves to fall over as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Not the first or last team to succumb to the Celtic park atmosphere. McGeady was totally affected by the crowd. Its up to us to make the Aviva as hostile as possible. Ireland fans need what Celtic have. The Green Brigade :D

h18.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Looking at our qualifying record in recent years it shows we just can't beat a decent team and we really only win matches against the minnows.
    World cup 2014 we failed to beat Austria Germany or Sweden
    Euro 12 we failed to beat Russia or Slovakia
    World cup 2010 we failed to beat Italy Bulgaria or montenegro.
    Euro 2008 we managed to beat Slovakia that was our last win against decent opposition.
    Granted we did beat France 1 0 in 90 mins in the 2010 play off but we have gone the guts of 20 games now in qualifying games without beating a team from any of the first few pots.

Spot on.

We are simply afraid of losing and that attitude has hurt the team in the past for qualifying. Bulgaria were there for the taking in 2010 and that was the difference of qualifying first rather than having a playoff against France.

Last night was another example of containing. If we at least tried to play and lost, I would at least took some hope that we are moving on, but what we saw in our players was fear and hail Mary balls in hope that something would happen.

We need to actually build a style against the USA on Wednesday and actually try to win the game using another tactic instead of lumping it forward. If we get another draw we should not celebrate it as some achievement, rather we should look at reasons we haven't won. Attitudes must change.

I don't agree. Worse teams than Ireland are able to hold on to the ball and pass in midfield. This was a policy of MON not to do that.

Northern Ireland, for example, are able to hold the ball far better than us because they are told that is how they will play. I saw the Faroe Islands do it against Greece yesterday with few issues.:rolleyes:

Fact is we have once again gone with a manager who only has one tactic away from home and that is to make the fans have no nails left by the end of the game.

We will see next year if the route 1 football is employed at the Aviva. I hope not.

The only times Ireland played well last night and threatened was the odd occasion they had opportunity to play through midfield and use the wings.

Jaysus, ****ing delusion everywhere. Northern Ireland had 23% possession away against Greece:

A) They can't hold it
    B) They have been getting results without the ball

You don't NEED the ball to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Last night wasn't your typical international game it was a high tempo local derby. In games like that you need a football brain to say hold on here we're going to have take the sting out of this Hendrick and Gibson hadn't got that brain to do it anytime they got on it it was rushed. But when you play Long and Walters up top you are giving the message to be direct which is MON fault. If your going with two up top surely Keane has to be one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Pro. F wrote: »

I hope the next manager has never played top level English League football and is under 60.

I would rather not pay 1.8 million a year for hoofball

Jaysus, ****ing delusion everywhere. Northern Ireland had 23% possession away against Greece:

A) They can't hold it
    B) They have been getting results without the ball

You don't NEED the ball to win.

No they didn't. They had 31% according to the official Euro 2016 website, 40% last night, 59% against the Faroes, and 47% away to Hungary. Yes they have been getting results with generally less of the ball, but those have all been away games. It'll be interesting to see the comparison when both teams play the better teams in their groups at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Not the first or last team to succumb to the Celtic park atmosphere. McGeady was totally affected by the crowd. Its up to us to make the Aviva as hostile as possible. Ireland fans need what Celtic have. The Green Brigade :D

h18.jpg

Ah FFS didn't McGeady play there for Celtic. Not buying that argument at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Ah FFS didn't McGeady play there for Celtic. Not buying that argument at all.

The difference is that Celtic fans were cheering him on. Scottish fans gave him a roasting. Doesn't matter what stadium it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I have seen some pile of **** in my time but what Ireland produced last night was something beyond rubbish.

Martin O Neill is a clown full stop. Maybe in same level as Stan for me except worse to watch. Even with the fortunate luck in Georgia and Germany we still are in a tough situation now.

O Neill is a goofball manager who has a Plan A and a Plan A only.

It could have been 3-0 to Scotland. O Neill somehow managed to make Scotland look good.

The amount of times the ball bypassed midfield would be embarrassment to San Marino.

I would not give O Neill the chance to turn this around.

It has turned out to be a shocking appointment.

When you see Faore Islands and North going to places like Greece and playing some football and then watch the embarresment and gutless performance like last night there is something obvious wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement