Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016: Scotland v Republic of Ireland - 7:45 KO 14/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

There's little between the teams in terms of overall quality but in Coleman, Keane & McGeady I think we have the better individual players and players that can win the game with a moment of skill.

I reckon we'll win 1 - 0 with a late goal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I wasn't particularly fussed about this, but the sellik love in is doing my head in.
    There's more scots accents coming from lads in Celtic jerseys and ireland scarves than I can be bothered with.

If Scotland win, and it pisses those guys off - I'll be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

Both rosters are constructed with players plucked from English Leagues

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Eirebear wrote: »
    There's more scots accents coming from lads in Celtic jerseys and ireland scarves than I can be bothered with.

so the glaswegian celtic fans are shouting for ireland tonight??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Would take a draw but a win would be fantastic. Keane has to start by the way, can't believe people want him dropped for Long.

I think the thought train for not starting with Keane is if we're playing with one up front, Robbie is very slow, so therefore struggles to chase balls and close down the opposition effectively. Added to this he's poor in the air (you can always expect a fair bit of long ball from Ireland) and imo would do much more damage in that scenario coming off the bench to face a tired Scottish defence who've had to deal with 60 minutes of a very energetic Shane Long.

If we've 2 up top he has to start, as he's our most skillfull forward and he's an excellent goalscorer. He's fine when there's someone else up there, or even Hoolohan playing just behind him, but when he's there alone and there's space between him and the midfield you're not going to get much from him except wasted effort imo.

fryup wrote: »
    so the glaswegian celtic fans are shouting for ireland tonight??

Not all, but there's no doubting there's a certain percentage.

I'm not going to get into the "Diaspora" debate, but some of these lads couldn't find Ireland on a map. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I wasn't particularly fussed about this, but the sellik love in is doing my head in.

Feeling a bit left out are ya?

Who are the real Scottish traitors? The ones wearing Celtic shirts supporting Ireland in a football match or those among The Rangers supporters who voted against their country's Independence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Please, not this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

TheCitizen wrote: »

Who are the real Scottish traitors? The ones wearing Celtic shirts supporting Ireland in a football match or those among The Rangers supporters who voted against their country's Independence?

Shakes head in disbelief :eek::eek:

• Advertisement

emmmmmm.............

The ones wearing Celtic shirts supporting Ireland in a football match

Left out? Not really, they're not the type of people I tend to associate with. In fact, I'm off to an exhibition opening so will likely miss most of the match. I may have to put up with them on the way home mind you.

As for the independence stuff, you're clueless. Clearly. But that's for another time and place.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Any poltical discussion ends here lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

CMON IRELAND!!

Left out? Not really, they're not the type of people I tend to associate with. In fact, I'm off to an exhibition opening so will likely miss most of the match. I may have to put up with them on the way home mind you.

As for the independence stuff, you're clueless. Clearly. But that's for another time and place.

Yep, the mod there has indicated that. There is a thread on that subject matter, who knows I might see ya there sometime to find out who's clueless or not, what's been briefly said here on it by some doesn't make a lot of sense.

Not tonight though - football to be watched:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

2-0 Scotland

Hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Has the team been named yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Poland topping the group so far, 1-0 up against Georgia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

My team

Forde
    Coleman-O'Shea-Keogh-Ward
    Gibson
    McGeady-Quinn-Hendrick-McClean
    Walters

Bring on Keane and Long after the hour mark

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Poland topping the group so far, 1-0 up against Georgia

:/ Was hoping they would drop points

Haven't been this tense before an international in ages. Crazy stat that it's the biggest attendance for a Scottish International in 25 years.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    :/ Was hoping they would drop points

Haven't been this tense before an international in ages. Crazy stat that it's the biggest attendance for a Scottish International in 25 years.

Not that crazy, Celtic Park holds around 10k more than Hampden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

My team

Forde
    Coleman-O'Shea-Keogh-Ward
    Gibson
    McGeady-Quinn-Hendrick-McClean
    Walters

Bring on Keane and Long after the hour mark

Yeah i'd go with that. I know we have no options but Ward is always an accident waiting to happen.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

3-0 Poland, bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Cracking third goal from Poland just there, they look very dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Poland 3-0 up against Georgia :(

• Advertisement

Anyone know the score in the Poland game?
    :pac:

Not like our destiny is not in our own hands. Lets go out and try and win this game and then we don't need to worry about the Polish result. Makes a draw much less valuable for us as well than if Georgia had got a result.

Temuri Ketsbaia has said he'd resign as Georgia manager if they lose tonight, probably put undue pressure on his team coming out with a statement like that.

Georgia were very much in the game in the 1st half, but once Poland went ahead they fell apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

SCOTLAND XI:
    Marshall, Whittaker, R.Martin, Hanley, Robertson, Maloney, Mulgrew, Brown (c), S.Fletcher, Naismith, Anya

IRELAND XI: Forde, Coleman, Keogh, O'Shea(c), Ward, Hendrick, Gibson, McGeady, McLean, Long, Walters

SUBS Randolph (GK), Christie, Given (GK), Clark, Pearce, Meyler, Pilkington, Brady, Quinn, Keane, McGoldrick, Murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Long and keane up front, disappointing but expected, glad Hendrick and Gibson get a chance.

• Advertisement

Ol' Big Head is dropped

Weetabix wrote: »
    Long and keane up front, disappointing but expected, glad Hendrick and Gibson get a chance.

Check again, Keane is not starting, my mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Check again, Keane is not starting, my mistake

Was just going to post that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Weetabix wrote: »

Our two best forwards imo. Delighted with the lineup.

Edit not now!

Ballsy dropping Keane.

Like the look of the Irish team.

Keane may come on late in the game if needed, that's when he'd be most useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

First time ever Keane has been dropped for a competitive game. Huge call.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Big decision dropping Keane. He'll be slated if we lose.

However, a great man to bring on with 30 mins to go.

Could be a masterstroke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Serious pace in that Irish team.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Huge call.

Yep and if Ireland fail to score and lose that call is going to be coming back at O'Neill like an articulated lorry after the game.

• Advertisement

SCOTLAND XI:
    Marshall, Whittaker, R.Martin, Hanley, Robertson, Maloney, Mulgrew, Brown (c), S.Fletcher, Naismith, Anya

IRELAND XI: Forde, Coleman, Keogh, O'Shea(c), Ward, Hendrick, Gibson, McGeady, McLean, Long, Walters

SUBS Randolph (GK), Christie, Given (GK), Clark, Pearce, Meyler, Pilkington, Brady, Quinn, Keane, McGoldrick, Murphy

I'd say that's a 4-5-1 to match Scotland with McGeady in a central role behind Shane Long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Serious pace in that Irish team.

Going for the counter attacking approach tonight, certainly have the pace for it as you say.

Big call dropping Keane, but he is there if needed.

Can't wait for this one to kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Not sure about dropping Keane for Walters. I know Walters offers more in terms of work rate but Keane comes good with goals.

Hopefully Long has the confidence from last week and can go fill that goalscorer void, but then again I would definitely prefer Keane and Long playing together.

Now with my unpopular opinion :P..I'd rather start Stokes than Walters...there I said it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Easy to see what Irish gameplan is. Spread it wide and get good crosses into Long and Walters.

Bringing Keane on with half an hour to go in a tight game, against a fairly dodgy Scotland defence.
    Could be the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Right team. Keane is a passenger in away games vs good teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'll be putting a few quid on a 1 1 draw . Ireland regularly end up drawing games like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Will Mc geady actually play on the wing?

Maybe Walters be go wide and let Mc geady wander around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Wilson must be injured? Surely would have started ahead of Ward

• Advertisement

4th for Poland

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement