Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborn with a tooth!!!!

Options
  • 14-11-2014 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

My Wee girl is 5 days old, was born with a tooth at the front. Doc said as its not loose so no risk of falling out they will just leave it. She hasn't slept last night and unsettled today, she is definitely teething!! Help!! Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kmum

Was the gum high up around the tooth? Could it be retracting back down now? My youngest was also born with a tooth, just keep an eye on it, her's was rock solid until she was 10 days old, I was checking it a couple of times a day as advised by the hosp. The tooth moved 90 deg back when I put my finger on it, typically it was after 8pm on a Sunday. We'd been warned if it got loose not to put her down as it could choke her.

Anyhooo after several calls to Crumlin & the Dental hosp they told us to pull it ourselves, that was all they'd do in A&E. Still can't believe we did it but we didn't have much choice, she's 4 now and it's yet to grow back. She ended up getting her teeth late!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

Kmum wrote: »
    Was the gum high up around the tooth? Could it be retracting back down now? My youngest was also born with a tooth, just keep an eye on it, her's was rock solid until she was 10 days old, I was checking it a couple of times a day as advised by the hosp. The tooth moved 90 deg back when I put my finger on it, typically it was after 8pm on a Sunday. We'd been warned if it got loose not to put her down as it could choke her.

Anyhooo after several calls to Crumlin & the Dental hosp they told us to pull it ourselves, that was all they'd do in A&E. Still can't believe we did it but we didn't have much choice, she's 4 now and it's yet to grow back. She ended up getting her teeth late!

Hi Kmum & thanks for replying. No the gum is not retracting. There is literally a slight point peeking out of the gum which is the tooth. The docs said the tooth was solid, not loose so they wouldn't pull it. She is defo teething, such little pain cries last night. She didn't sleep and has now cried herself to sleep.

Did your babs suffer?

A distressed mam!!!!

Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My sister got her first tooth at 6 weeks old, and was born 2 weeks early. Not exactly the same, but it's not unusual for them to arrive early. There were no issues at all with her teeth.

My fella has had the tip of a 1 tooth out for 4 weeks now. And has been teething for months before as well.

You babies might just annoy him for ages and not actually cut for weeks you never know! Can teetha gel be used from birth? We Lund it great for our fella

Good luck if you are breastfeeding!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kmum

With my lil lady the tooth was fully up, it was huge I noticed it as soon as she was born even before I got to hold her! But the gum was up all around it. She didn't sleep at all the first couple of nights but I didn't associate it with the tooth at the time.

When she did start teething it was much later than my other two and it took a long time for the teeth to come through, they cane out of the gums big and she did have a hard time getting them, her only front bottom tooth is a fused tooth so that didn't help. I've had her with the dentist and its a waiting game now to see if she gets two adult bottom front teeth. We're hoping that the one she was born with was her baby tooth and the adult tooth is still to come. Sometimes the one at birth is a spare and they get two more but not in our case.

Her teeth look fine and are lovely and straight, the fused tooth has compensated somewhat for the missing one so its not a full gap.

Apparently it's a sign of luck to be born with a tooth! Best of luck with the new arrival, hope her pain eases soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Totally normal, if a bit rare. My eldest was born a couple of tips of teeth too. Got all her teeth very early. All done by about 15 months, so it was good in the long run. Made breastfeeding very tricky for me. Chewed a good bit. Also bit through dummies, bottle teats etc, so watch those for damage in case of choking.

Otherwise don't worry about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

I think the Teetha range of products can be used from early days - but check with pharmacist. Others swear by amber. You could get an anklet so no risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

lmullen wrote: »
    I think the Teetha range of products can be used from early days - but check with pharmacist. Others swear by amber. You could get an anklet so no risk.

Teetha is homeopathic gobbledegook. No need to waste your money or stress the baby with it.

Amber things are banned here for a reason, the anklets can get caught on things or cut off circulation, beads can separate etc.

The teething will pass really quickly when they are so young. Couple of days and you are done. You really don't need anything, other than a bit of patience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If its sore you can get abnesol from chemists

Just rub it on the gums

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

Thanks everyone. Fingers crossed, seems to have eased!

Advertisement