Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy 457, defacto queries.

Options
  • 14-11-2014 5:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have just been made redundant from my job on a 457. My partner is on my 457 as a defacto spouse and I need to know how this affects her.

Can she still work at her current job while I try to find a company to take over my sponsorship?

I was on my 1st WHV before I got 457, and had my 3 months regional done beforehand. She on the other hand was on her 2nd WHV before I put her on the 457 defacto.

Our heads are all over the place,feel like our world has been turned upside. We were getting close to the 2years on the 457 to apply for PR.

Any advice will be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

ask them not to cancel the 457.....most employers wont if they let ya go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Give immigration a call, they will tell you the exact details you need, some people look at immigration at some bad guy, but to be honest they usually are not.

But I am pretty sure she can work up until the 90 day period is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Can she still work at her current job while I try to find a company to take over my sponsorship?
    You have 90 days to find a new sponsor. She can work in this time afaik.
    You can call immigration to get an official answer, you can do this anonymously if you'd rather.
    Our heads are all over the place,feel like our world has been turned upside. We were getting close to the 2years on the 457 to apply for PR.
    You don't need 2 years on a 457 to apply for PR.
    You can apply at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    You don't need 2 years on a 457 to apply for PR.
    You can apply at any time.

Unless OP was relying on Transition Stream 186 then those 2 years are down plug hole with original job.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Thanks for all the info guys.

Got confirmation today that my partner is allowed to work until the end of the 90 days. So thats a bit of good news!

Started sending out updated CV's today, forgot how hard it was to do a CV!

Thanks again to all, hopefully we'll get something sorted soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

Thanks for posting that Hawkeye - I am in a similar situation and my partner was really concerned that she wouldn't be able to go to work when I finish up with my current employer.

Does anyone know much about the process of changing employer on a 457? Is it the same as applying for the original visa, ie the employer nominates a position and I apply for that? Or is there a different process for transferring a 457 to a new employer?

Also are there costs involved? I was looking on the immi website and the visa calculator was suggesting it would be $1,035 each for me and my partner and then a $700 fee each as we'd be applying from within Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

purcela wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that Hawkeye - I am in a similar situation and my partner was really concerned that she wouldn't be able to go to work when I finish up with my current employer.

Does anyone know much about the process of changing employer on a 457? Is it the same as applying for the original visa, ie the employer nominates a position and I apply for that? Or is there a different process for transferring a 457 to a new employer?

Also are there costs involved? I was looking on the immi website and the visa calculator was suggesting it would be $1,035 each for me and my partner and then a $700 fee each as we'd be applying from within Australia?

It depends on the expiry of your current visa, you don't have to apply for a new visa if you still have enough time on the current one but the new Employer just has to nominate you for the position. You can then carry your current visa over.

Advertisement