Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notifications

Options
  • 14-11-2014 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭

I would love to see an OPTION for notifications on boards,

So if someone replies to one of your threads that you are following you get a simple beep kinda like a facebook notification, i understand not everyone would like one so if it were an option on each thread like an opt in button i think that would be class.

There are some threads i look at every now and again, and others i look at straight away but i find myself coming onto the site and looking through it for hours which is a problem hahaha .....

I also feel the notifications which are currently in place are completeley out dated, who actually clicks into their emails to see the notifications from here, i dont think i ever have, far easier just to come here and have a gander.

I hope i have explained it well and im sure its been debated her before!

James
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hi James,

We have notifications - they appear in the top right corner of the page. You can modify their settings here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=appearancesettings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

yes, no i know i use them too,

hypothetically, i follow a thread that i really want to see instantly, as soon as it is updated. The thread in question (when you choose to follow it asks if you would like live updates) is updated and if you choose yes produces a noise on your laptop, a beep or bling or something. Sound notifications. If you choose to not have live updates you still receive the notification but you can then peruse the thread later on when there are pages to read through.

Why you may ask, well if I am enjoying a thread and am commenting regularly and then for one reason or another forget to check back, by the time i do check back there may be 2,3 or even 10 pages to go through and by that stage my point may be invalid or the conversation may have moved on. If like facebook there was a sound notification I could keep up to date instantly on the threads that matter to me. Of course you would have to be logged in and have the page open but i assume lots of people have this open almost all the time like me?

I hope that explains it better Dav?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Use the My Threads tab on the front page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I'd imagine it would be very annoying to have a notification like on Facebook, popping up on your phone.

anybody that posts in a popular thread or posts a lot would be inundated with notifications. Personally, i would end up hopping my phone off a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,773 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think I understand what you're looking for james -

A desktop notification, similar to the Facebook desktop app that runs in the system tray, that pops up a notification when you have a new message or someone posts on your wall?

I don't know if Boards still does it as I'm working on Windows 8.1 now, but I know when I had Windows 7, Boards had an app that could be pinned to the taskbar that did something similar to what you're suggesting.

Perhaps it might be an idea to throw up in the Site Development forum?

• Advertisement

yes i suppose something similar, but for the poster who says he would hop the phone off the wall, that is why it could be optional, so you choose which threads you would like live notifications from (or none at all if you so wish), say for the live football thread, you need to be watching it constantly in order to see the bets others see value in, this is one that i would like live notifications from, essentially the same as facebook notifications when someone mentions you, likes your stuff comments on a post you have etc....exactly the same, except we can choose which threads we want live updates from.

I know im not explaining it the best, im not the most eloquent hahah....

Ps i am not talking about the app or even mobile viewing im speaking about the desktop version only. (dont use the phone for boards anymore)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

That was an Internet Explorer only thing that the tech director of Daft (at the time) rolled out for us as a wee "I'm curious how this thing works and Boards is the best site to test this on" sort of exercise. It was some manner of new feature they made a part of IE 10 I believe.

You've explained your request very well James, however it's not possible at the moment. I have an entire project to discuss with Declan and the tech team around the idea of notifications - lots of it to cover the sorts of things you're talking about. I dunno about hitting people up with sounds though, that sort of thing drives me and most internet users I know into a rage.

Dav wrote: »
    That was an Internet Explorer only thing that the tech director of Daft (at the time) rolled out for us as a wee "I'm curious how this thing works and Boards is the best site to test this on" sort of exercise. It was some manner of new feature they made a part of IE 10 I believe.

You've explained your request very well James, however it's not possible at the moment. I have an entire project to discuss with Declan and the tech team around the idea of notifications - lots of it to cover the sorts of things you're talking about. I dunno about hitting people up with sounds though, that sort of thing drives me and most internet users I know into a rage.

Cool well just a thought hopefully something comes of it, if not im not going to leave haha....the one point i will say is this (highlighted bit) is a non issue if you give people the option to use it, and also change it if they so wish, as and when they want it, if they chose not to then boards would remain as is for them. If they chose to use it, every now and again their laptop might bing!

Cheers anyways Dav one for the mix i suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

This might be a help might not. The wonderful 28064212 has developed some scripts for boards. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056553774&page=2

On post 23 you'll see the 5th one down is notification in title http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90291041&postcount=23

You end up with this when a followed thread is commented on. No sound but its better than nothing.
    7XRbtf.png

yea its better than nowt thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

yea its better than nowt thanks!

All thanks go to 28064212, he has some really useful scripts for boards.

Advertisement