Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agent trying to withhold deposit

Options
  • 14-11-2014 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

letting agent trying to withhold part of deposit has said the cooker isn't clean even though the place is spotless and i went in a second time when he told me and cleaned it again,,think he is trying to mess me about?

anyone any ideas on my next move? to get full deposit back place is in way better condition to when we moved in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Tell him unless he provides detailed invoices for any deductions from the deposit, you will be lodging a dispute with the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭deadwood85

but could he not just get some cleaning company invoice and say i have to pay, i mean the place is spotless,.
    i shouldn't have to pay anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

the threat of PTRB should stop him in his tracks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

No not really.

Always worth taking photos when you're leaving though as evidence of how you left it in case anyone pulls a stunt like that.

These types give the rental sector a bad reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

deadwood85 wrote: »
    but could he not just get some cleaning company invoice and say i have to pay, i mean the place is spotless,.
    i shouldn't have to pay anything

if the cooker is dirty, then yeah, he could hire a cleaner, which would cost about a tenner an hour. And he needs an invoice. No cleaning company will give a false invoice.

did you take photographs before you left?

• Advertisement

yes i have photos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

He wouldnt give you your deposit back because the cooker was dirty ? Haha? What a freak. You will get it back alrite but i would take it further if he doesnt cop the **** on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

photos please

ill put them up when it is resolved but i assure you the cooker is spotless

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Maybe their standard of clean and yours differ or they might be pulling a fast one (their standards could be impossibly high or only achievable by professionals). Either way tell them that you expect an invoice and will check up to make sure a real cleaning company was used should put a stop to it if its the latter.

Could be a stunt they pull where they clean the oven themselves and take 50 quid. It could also be the case that old tenants clean the oven and do a reasonable job but new tenants demand the oven be cleaned again and the EA has to get it done by professionals and end up out of pocket.

• Advertisement

my standard is 100 times higher than theirs,as i live with a pain in the ass girlfriend who's a hygiene nut,when we moved in we had to deep clean for 2 days,it was filthy,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Had a letting agent try that on before, saying it had to be cleaned to "professional standards", which is nonsense. You give it back in the same (or better condition) than you got it and prove it with pictures.

If you have pictures, you're sorted and the PRTB threat will see your deposit back. Don't forget to mention that if they do push it, you'll want to see the cleaning company's receipt. Our fella just airily said €200 out of deposit to cover "expenses".

Advertisement