Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aldi voucher

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

L1011 wrote: »
    Seeing as Tesco did not take them for some time, I doubt damaging Tesco was the plan to begin with.

If tesco are onto such a great trick/idea by accepting them then why do you reckon aldi do not copy them and take competitor coupons too? tesco sent plenty out in recent mailings.

Not sure if tesco were accepting competitor coupons when aldi ones were first were in papers. I never said it was their initial plan, but quite possibly turned out to be a very beneficial unintended consequence for aldi, which they might later have taken advantage of by releasing on selective dates.

I was saying aldi are possibly paid by the papers to carry these coupons, aldi could be hoping they are not used in their stores, could be better off for people be causing tesco to make a loss. I don't see any tesco coupons in papers, and I am sure any paper would love to have the massive increase in sales.

Tesco are selective about what coupons they accept. People had previously reported having iceland and M&S coupons accepted, not certain if both were officially taken, I think iceland were officially accepted.

http://www.tesco.ie/CompetitorCoupons/
    it is now only 4
    We accept spend & save coupons only from Dunnes Stores, SuperValu, Lidl and Aldi

I got 4x10 off 50 euro spend coupons in the door for use in a local(ish) lidl, I live far closer to a tesco. I am waiting to hear if people nearer the lidl also got them too. I will be using all mine in tesco, mainly on stuff they are already definitely making a loss on.

If I worked in marketing/accounts of marketing in aldi/lidl I would be taking full advantage of tescos policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tesco are taking them in a desperate attempt to retain market share.

Nobody in Aldi or Lidl HQ wants to hand market share to competitors

L1011 wrote: »
    Tesco are taking them in a desperate attempt to retain market share.

Nobody in Aldi or Lidl HQ wants to hand market share to competitors
    aldi or lidl can easily get around tesco using them. e.g. if people spend 40 or 50 euro then give them a 10 off voucher for the store (not a 10 euro off your next 50 spends like dunnes do). Tesco will not accept these, and if they did then aldi would be delighted. You would have people splitting shopping like they do in tesco, put through 50 euro, hold back 10euros worth and could possibly get that free using the voucher just handed to them. Though they might prefer people having to come back another day to use it, and most probably would.

There are probably a few other ways to get around tescos qualifications for accepting them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I suspect they've just found it easier not to do them and compete on cost instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

This is a bit more local than most alerts - but it is a bargain.

The freesheet Dun Laoghaire Gazette currently (27/Dec-4/Jan edition) has a €10 off €50 voucher for Aldi Sallynoggin only Valid 27/Dec- 4th Jan.

Probably a response to the new Lidl opening nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Cameraman wrote: »
    This is a bit more local than most alerts - but it is a bargain.

The freesheet Dun Laoghaire Gazette currently (27/Dec-4/Jan edition) has a €10 off €50 voucher for Aldi Sallynoggin only Valid 27/Dec- 4th Jan.

Probably a response to the new Lidl opening nearby.

Online paper I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

vicwatson wrote: »
    Online paper I wonder?

"only original coupons are valid" - so probably wouldn't work.

The papers are pretty widely available in the area though - including the nearby Tesco Park Pointe.

Cameraman wrote: »
    - including the nearby Tesco Park Pointe.
    tesco should take them too. I got ones only for use in the new lidl and tesco accept them.

Tesco also has a deal of spending 50 and getting 10 off the next shop. Not sure if this is still going now, it was only in tescos near the new lidl. If you spend 60 you could use the lidl/aldi voucher and get another 10euro voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

do aldi and lidl care about what tesco are doing? can they stop them? how does it benefit tesco?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Bob Z wrote: »
    do aldi and lidl care about what tesco are doing? can they stop them? how does it benefit tesco?

I'd say Tesco accepting their vouchers was a considerable factor in them deciding not to issue spend & save vouchers in the run-up to this Christmas. Therefore a victory for Tesco.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    I'd say Tesco accepting their vouchers was a considerable factor in them deciding not to issue spend & save vouchers in the run-up to this Christmas. Therefore a victory for Tesco.

but dont tesco lose out? are they allowed to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Quackster wrote: »

I was thinking it was doing heavy damage to Tesco profits as the majority of weeks the vouchers ran around Christmas Tesco were doing big loss leading alcohol deals. I suppose if people are doing a full weekly shop and decide to go to Tesco to use the voucher the overall value of the trolley will result in a break even or modest profit for Tesco but where you had people buying only their alcohol with the vouchers that had to be a complete loss.

I was thinking it was doing heavy damage to Tesco profits as the majority of weeks the vouchers ran around Christmas Tesco were doing big loss leading alcohol deals. I suppose if people are doing a full weekly shop and decide to go to Tesco to use the voucher the overall value of the trolley will result in a break even or modest profit for Tesco but where you had people buying only their alcohol with the vouchers that had to be a complete loss.

they sell alcohol at a loss?

they sell alcohol at a loss?
    Tesco certainly sell an own brand vodka at a loss, I worked it out as a 61cent loss, and that assumes they get it for free and have no overheads included in the price.

Lots presume the likes of guinness or heineken are below cost, as they believe the whinging publicans who take the public for fools. I have seen no clear proof of this. Beer is cheap to produce and I would be pretty sure its the breweries supplying it cheaply rather than tesco buying at the same price and selling for less than half price, by the pallet.

Grolsch was 5% and 500mlx24 cans were 20euro. That is cheap. The duty on that is 13.53, the VAT is 3.74. So 17.27 in total so you cannot be certain it is below cost, but it is certainly very little profit if any. If using vouchers it would be below cost.

I already explained one way to stop them.
    rubadub wrote: »
    aldi or lidl can easily get around tesco using them. e.g. if people spend 40 or 50 euro then give them a 10 off voucher for the store (not a 10 euro off your next 50 spends like dunnes do). Tesco will not accept these, and if they did then aldi would be delighted. You would have people splitting shopping like they do in tesco, put through 50 euro, hold back 10euros worth and could possibly get that free using the voucher just handed to them. Though they might prefer people having to come back another day to use it, and most probably would.

There are probably a few other ways to get around tescos qualifications for accepting them too.

I had more tesco vouchers than I could use over christmas. I got lidl ones in the door which could be used there, and my local tesco were giving out 2 more vouchers each time I used one. My lidl vouchers also came with a mini lidl card to be scanned in one specific shop. This gave you free items if you spent over 30euro and some other rewards.

So this is another way lidl/aldi can prevent tesco using them.

people I know living near the new store did not get lidl vouchers, A few people several miles away did. All mine were used in tesco and they definitely made a loss on me.

Advertisement