Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2008 Accord, 520d or A6

• 14-11-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I'm looking for a new family car. Something around 2008 to take advantage of the tax changes. I've narrowed it down to the new shape accord diesel, the 520d and the A6 2.0 TDi.

Ordered criteria are cost of ownership, reliability and practicality. Heart says 520 LCI, think it looks great. Head says Accord as I had one before and they seem extremely reliable.

I've read a few threads from a couple of years ago on these cars and I'm just looking for updated opinions, cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Honda Accord is a good car but it's not a rival to a 5 Series or A6.

520d of that vintage has well documented issues with the timing chain, a 525d would be a better choice and still is relatively cheap to tax compared to one on the older tax system.

A6 got a facelift at the end of 2008 when new common rail diesel engines were introduced which are way better and more refined than the older PD diesel engines. If you could stretch to a late 2008 or early 2009 facelifted A6 then I'd have that over a 520d but if you can find a 525d then I'd have that over the A6.

What about the Volvo S80?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brasher

I didn't realise the A6 changed in 08, I'll take a look. 525 is 570 tax and 520 is 270, big enough difference to put me off. Also the 525 seems more scarce.

Haven't looked at the S80, I'll go check them out and the newer A6's, thanks for the advice.

brasher wrote: »
    I didn't realise the A6 changed in 08, I'll take a look. 525 is 570 tax and 520 is 270, big enough difference to put me off. Also the 525 seems more scarce.

Haven't looked at the S80, I'll go check them out and the newer A6's, thanks for the advice.

The A6 differences were mostly under the skin with the introduction of new engines. Exterior got revisions but you need to look closely to spot them. Easiest way to tell the revised model is that it has the side indicators built into the door mirrors and also has rear LED light cluster.

Regarding the cost of tax on the 520d v 525d, its very small money spread over the entire year and a lot cheaper than having to replace a rattily or snapped timing chain. If you are still looking at a 520d then try and find one that has already had the chain and crank shaft replaced. I'd say there should be a decent number of 2008 520ds out there with replaced chains at this stage.

S80 is bit of a ranked outsider, being a Volvo they tend to get overlooked but are very good value second hand compared to the German cars. Ideally the 2.4 D5 is the engine to go for but the PSA 2.0d is pretty decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brasher

It looks like the 525's are a few grand more than similar 520's, plus the slight tax increase is kind of pushing it out of my budget. The A6 sounds like a winner. S80 is interesting, not the prettiest, but my brother has an '08 S40 and it feels nice to drive and is decently specced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

brasher wrote: »

The Facelift A6 would be 09 reg at earliest. They are very easy to spot, front and rear end being very different. The 09 model is a very nice car in s line spec but Ride comfort might need to be considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭kay 9

If it was me, I'd have an accord 2.2 type s(something different). Don't like German cars but each to their own.

mickdw wrote: »
    The Facelift A6 would be 09 reg at earliest. They are very easy to spot, front and rear end being very different. The 09 model is a very nice car in s line spec but Ride comfort might need to be considered.

There are a few 08 facelift models about too, mostly original UK cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

bazz26 wrote: »
    There are a few 08 facelift models about too, mostly original UK cars.

I have not seen one tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

kay 9 wrote: »
    If it was me, I'd have an accord 2.2 type s(something different). Don't like German cars but each to their own.

Me too Type S is class, 5 series and A6 are everywhere.

I like the 159 2.4 jtd as well, peach of an engine

Advertisement