Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitch Pine Floorboard Finishing

Options
  • 14-11-2014 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

I have recently sanded back original pitch pine floorboards to original state, removing all old finishes. I applied two coats of an off the shelf oil based Polyurethane laquer, but results were not satisfactory due to the level of Yellowing/ Amber tinting in the wood once dried. Im going to sand the boards back and start from scratch - I want to seal the floor and maintain the raw look whist providing adequate protecting from scratching and damage. The floor wont be super high traffic as its a spare bedroom. What type of varnish/laquer should I be looking at that wont yellow the floor - would a water based solution be an option/would this provide a tough enough finish? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

I recently had floors sanded by a friend who is a professional floor sander. His choice of lacquer for it was Becker Acroma(think thats the spelling)with hardener. I went with the satin. Three coats overall. Very happy with the finish. There is a strong odour for about two days, but a super finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

I recently had floors sanded by a friend who is a professional floor sander. His choice of lacquer for it was Becker Acroma(think thats the spelling)with hardener. I went with the satin. Three coats overall. Very happy with the finish. There is a strong odour for about two days, but a super finish.

The Becker Acroma lacquer is also available in waterbased, great stuff, use it all the time. Layer it up and it's as tough as nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Get the polyurethane lacquer with a matting agent. It works a treat and won't stay shines. You could oil the floors but I don't know how long it would keep under foot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Pitch pine has a yellow hue anyway - think of all those church bench seats. Also, any wood surface will naturally mellow under sunlight so I think you are fighting a losing battle. The water based lacquers are reckoned to be the best and some of them have UV protection added but I don't think you will keep any pine floor looking lily white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

recipio wrote: »
    Pitch pine has a yellow hue anyway - think of all those church bench seats. Also, any wood surface will naturally mellow under sunlight so I think you are fighting a losing battle. The water based lacquers are reckoned to be the best and some of them have UV protection added but I don't think you will keep any pine floor looking lily white.
    becker acroma had a new exterior grade lacquer with uv protection coming on the market. did anyone try it yet?

• Advertisement
Advertisement