Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sneaky new classic car tax rules?

Options
  • 14-11-2014 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭

Okay - there was a chap on one of the Radio stations in Cork - Red FM - on the Neill prendeville show - just a normal guy and he was talking about a change in the tax for classic cars.

My understanding of what he was saying was that - from today.

the cheap classic car tax only applies to pre 1975/6 cars from now on - not the rolling 30 year rule as WAS the case.

And post 75 cars will be taxed on the cc rate.

So a car of over 3000 - say 1983 vintage - will be now liable for tax at the 1800 rate.

Not the 56 euro it would be eligible for under the rolling 30 year rule.

Has anyone else heard anything about this????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

No. Sounds like either he's talking sh!te, or you're hearing it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Old diesel

No. Sounds like either he's talking sh!te, or you're hearing it. :pac:

He definitely said it - although I agree its highly possible he was talking out of his backside.

I just wanted to mention it in case someone on here had something more definite.

The guy apparently has done a 5 year restoration of a Porsche 911 - and gave the impression he just found it out himself.

There is an NCT consultation closing today, but I haven't heard anything about tax changes (yet).

BTW, he could have encountered one person in the tax office that didn't have a clue, it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Old diesel wrote: »
    Okay - there was a chap on one of the Radio stations in Cork - Red FM - on the Neill prendeville show - just a normal guy and he was talking about a change in the tax for classic cars.

My understanding of what he was saying was that - from today.

the cheap classic car tax only applies to pre 1975/6 cars from now on - not the rolling 30 year rule as WAS the case.

And post 75 cars will be taxed on the cc rate.

So a car of over 3000 - say 1983 vintage - will be now liable for tax at the 1800 rate.

Not the 56 euro it would be eligible for under the rolling 30 year rule.

Has anyone else heard anything about this????

he's talking shoite.

What's under discussion is NCT tests...........consultation submission due to RSA on it no later than today.

...mind you,maybe when they've that out of the way they might..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 48 laffindevil

More details on this in the classic cars forum...

Deadline is only today so we won't know any deffo changes until all submissions are received. But I can't see the taxing changing that dramatically as it will just drive the classics off the roads!

• Advertisement

Another thing - if the car has just completed a long resto, this will be its first Vin/vet tax disc and maybe the person in the tax office just tried to renew under the existing tax class. Either way, I'm sure it's a mistake and not worthy of discussion on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

The UK did make a change like this a number of years ago, and it may that they're confusing/conflating the two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

This would be the first time ever Neil Prenderville had a poorly researched item on his show!

Oh......wait? OP, FFS, NP is worse than Joe Duffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

NP is a lot things.... :-)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

http://www.redfm.ie/podcasts/neil-prendeville-show-podcast/

14 November 2014 podcast, starting at 26:02 - 34.15 where Neil talks to Joe...

• Advertisement

Beaten to it. :D

Is this a conversation between two people that haven't a clue?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Beaten to it. :D

Thankfully I scan listened to find the start time of the segment with timestretching on my desktop mp3 player at x2.00 and skipped through most of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Even if they do change the law it can only be applied to new registrations. This would mean that any existing classics on 56 tax would appreciate in value rather quickly

Advertisement