Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney Sweeping/Boiler Servicing

Options
  • 14-11-2014 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've got a couple of recommendations, so just looking for ball-park price to service oil/kerosene central heating boiler?

Also, are there any local chimney sweeps who clean from roof down? Or recommendations for sound chimney sweep? I'm assuming that "chimney pot down" is the most effective way to clean a chimney?

PS: I got up a chimney sweep on Sligo Boards.ie a few years ago. He gave me a price and then when he done the job, he said "your chimney was very dirty, I'm charging you another €20" which I paid. But I don't want that sort of clown again. And I've cleaned it myself regularly since then. But this time, smoke still occasionally coming down chimney.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Dringe123

For boiler service would highly recommend Steve Mccarrick. Really knowledgable & very nice. My boiler had been serviced most years but never as good as this. Rads really hot & system was never as efficient. Have recommended him to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Dringe123 wrote: »
    For boiler service would highly recommend Steve Mccarrick. Really knowledgable & very nice. My boiler had been serviced most years but never as good as this. Rads really hot & system was never as efficient. Have recommended him to others.
    How much does a service cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I was chatting to a service man and he couldn't give price until they carry out the job. Although if I had pushed for a ball park figure Im sure he would have told me.

€90. Was a long enough job though. Might get cheaper.

And so I've just been told by the lads at work "Sure you can do that yourself". Doh!

Might have a go next time. Any comments on self servicing boiler? Is it a "no-no" or easy enough for someone with the cop on to read up about it and give it a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Definite no-no! A diy man has no proper equipment or training to check emission levels/emission leaks etc for a start.
    You can clear out the soot or change the nozzle alright, but thats not a service.
    Remember the CO2 ads! Silent killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

red sean wrote: »
    Definite no-no! A diy man has no proper equipment or training to check emission levels/emission leaks etc for a start.
    You can clear out the soot or change the nozzle alright, but thats not a service.
    Remember the CO2 ads! Silent killer.

Thanks I thought it was "sh1te" talk right enough. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Aosdan

Yes - I would definitely recommend Steve McCarrick (087 779 3233). He has always done a great job for me and my system is in tip top condition. I get him every year as his price is keen also. He knows his stuff and is a really nice and helpful person. He always follows up with me after the job just to check that everything is okay. Oh also if anything complicated arises he calls on his plumber and/or electrician who come immediately ... now that's service.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Dringe123

Totally agree re Steve McCarrick. Very reliable & competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Aosdan wrote: »
    Yes - I would definitely recommend Steve McCarrick (087 779 3233). He has always done a great job for me and my system is in tip top condition. I get him every year as his price is keen also. He knows his stuff and is a really nice and helpful person. He always follows up with me after the job just to check that everything is okay. Oh also if anything complicated arises he calls on his plumber and/or electrician who come immediately ... now that's service.
    Welcome to boards.ie Steve

Advertisement