Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared Lease - Partner walking out

Options
  • 14-11-2014 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

My partner is quite depressed and has just packed his stuff to return to his family home. We both signed a lease in mid September to last a year but he is refusing to pay anything for bills and the rent. The rent is too much on my own and I'm terrified. Can I legally force him to pay his half or what is the story. The landlord is a barrister and I don't think he will he will be sympathetic. It's a one bed so I can't sublet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Unfortunately you are both jointly liable from what you say. As far as the landlord is quite rightly concerned, he just wants his money. See if he will agree for you to assign the lease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

If you're getting nowhere with him, maybe try mentioning it to his family? Not to get them to pay it, but asking if they could maybe make him see reason that he's putting you in a really bad position where he could and should be helping with rent at least, as well has his portion of bills already accrued.

Working off the assumption that you want to save your relationship, it might be difficult to actually MAKE him pay. Assuming he still has income, he should be still contributing - he signed the lease, too, and he moved in. It's a joint responsibility that he willingly entered into. If you're not setting out to save the relationship, then yeah, ask the LL if you can assign the remainder of the lease to someone else and pursue him for half the rent until you can reassign it and half of any bills already accrued.

Advertisement