Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for input

• 14-11-2014 4:19pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭

May end up changing role to a different company and lose my current company car. Due to this I'm looking at picking up something reasonable (20 to 30k range but no set limit yet) that will be commute car that I'll have around for several years.

Requirements; combi, manual, diesel (~50 to 60k km a year, 70%+ highway), fuel efficient, secure & bullet proof with low maintenance costs, good lights (will be a lot of late driving so lights is a big requirement for me), decent overtake speed (i.e. I don't need a sport car but probably better than the basic 1.6) and suitable to last a long while.

What I've currently glanced at has been a new Skoda Octavia and a Kia Cee SW or one / two year old Volvo. I'm not really set on a specific brand but I'm not overly keen on French cars (personal bad experience with several even though a Citroen C5 is lovely to drive), Opel (same) or with Italian cars (love to drive but no trust in quality from experience).

So what car would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Leon ST FR?

Same as an Octavia vrs but imo it has a nicer interior. 150 or 184bhp, 50 to the gallon over a tank without even trying, more if you want it and LED headlights as standard which are great. 150k warranty too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's a fair amount of mileage to be doing annually, with that in mind comfort and obviously reliability/warranty would be the most important things.

If you are not bothered about having a brand new model then may there could be deals to be had on run out models like the Mondeo or Passat.

Advertisement