Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it worth buying from uk?

• 14-11-2014 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

We willbe looking for a second hand Peugeot 5008 in January or so. Our budget is about 15000 max.
    Husband says that you may get a good deal up north or in.UK.
    I'm not sure by the time you factor in time costs of flight \ boat to return the car to here and vrt is it all worth it?

I know there are some higher spec UK imports of this model but is it really worth it.?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Your main cost will be the exchange rate.

It's terrible at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Valetta wrote: »
    Your main cost will be the exchange rate.

It's terrible at the moment.

Ok thanks for that.
    Another issue to consider!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 StevenC62

If you buy from a dealer, check how they want to be paid. When I bought my car last August the dealer would not take more than £9000 cash, something to do with money laundering apparently. I found this problem with quite a few dealers. The way I got round it was to do an international bank transfer from my account to the dealers. Had to be done over a couple of days as AIB only allow 5000e per day. I had paid the remainder as a deposit with my visa debit card. Have to say the dealer was great, it even gave them a couple of days to sort out some small problems I found when I looked at the car. I know it all sounds a bit long winded, but even with the exchange rate, ferry and the vrt, I've still saved myself about 2500e, and the car has upgrades I would never get here. Good luck with your car !

StevenC62 wrote: »
    If you buy from a dealer, check how they want to be paid. When I bought my car last August the dealer would not take more than £9000 cash, something to do with money laundering apparently. I found this problem with quite a few dealers. The way I got round it was to do an international bank transfer from my account to the dealers. Had to be done over a couple of days as AIB only allow 5000e per day. I had paid the remainder as a deI posit with my visa debit card. Have to say the dealer was great, it even gave them a couple of days to sort out some small problems I found when I looked at the car. I know it all sounds a bit long winded, but even with the exchange rate, ferry and the vrt, I've still saved myself about 2500e, and the car has upgrades I would never get here. Good luck with your car !

Oh great thanks for that did you make one trip over?
    Did you buy from a main dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 StevenC62

We were at my parents for a few days and I had been to look at a few. Found mine at a company called Cartime near Manchester. They advertise on Autotrader. Were really helpful with any problems, would recommend them to anyone. If you see one you like it's worth ringing the seller to ask about payment. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

StevenC62 wrote: »
    We were at my parents for a few days and I had been to look at a few. Found mine at a company called Cartime near Manchester. They advertise on Autotrader. Were really helpful with any problems, would recommend them to anyone. If you see one you like it's worth ringing the seller to ask about payment. Hope this helps.

That's brilliant thanks I wouldn't know where to start.
    It's good to hear you had a good experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

check vrt before you buy this can be a few grand easy.
    uk are usually a lot better minded and higher spec than whats here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is a good indicator of how much VRT will cost you, just enter UK Reg and mileage

http://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/vrt-calculator/

NIMAN wrote: »
    This is a good indicator of how much VRT will cost you, just enter UK Reg and mileage

Thanks forthat

is the UK Autotrader available as a magazine anymore?
    We have a bad Internet connection on laptop and would like to physically view garages on paper.
    I've asked three easons no.one stocks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭jtown

NIMAN wrote: »

Just a quick question. In relation to "extras" that the import car might have. Will the VRT be larger than quoted on the VRT website ? Bluetooth/ heated seats/ full leather etc etc.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The VRT calculator does not take into account extras is it does not have the ability to know what factory extras are fitted to every car that comes in. Revenue will learn this when they get the car's VIN.

Anyway for VRT purposes VRT is calculated on extras on cars up to 4 years old, anything older than that and Revenue are normally not concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭jtown

bazz26 wrote: »
    The VRT calculator does not take into account extras is it does not have the ability to know what factory extras are fitted to every car that comes in. Revenue will learn this when they get the car's VIN.

Anyway for VRT purposes VRT is calculated on extras on cars up to 4 years old, anything older than that and Revenue are normally not concerned.

Thanks for that info. So not much of a risk buying a 2010 car loaded with extras next year. That's good to know.

Advertisement