Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem Installing Rear Shocks on a BMW E90

• 14-11-2014 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭

I just replaced one of the shocks on my E90. The problem is, when I lower the car, the bushing that keeps the shock in place shoots up, despite the fact that I have it fully tightened. Below is a picture.

6BWOWjbl.jpg

Here's what it looks like from the wheel basin, if that helps.

SyBw39Xl.jpg

I had originally thought that the dust filter, being completely worn out at the time, was the cause of the problem. So, I bought a new dust filter (The one in the picture) but still the problem persists. Any help would be appreciated! (Never installed shocks before, so probably made some stupid mistake!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Looks to me like you are missing the load bearing washer that's part of the build of the original shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Yep the top cap with 3 bolts in it.

Something has to be missing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

I just replaced one of the shocks on my E90. The problem is, when I lower the car, the bushing that keeps the shock in place shoots up, despite the fact that I have it fully tightened. Below is a picture.

6BWOWjbl.jpg

Here's what it looks like from the wheel basin, if that helps.

SyBw39Xl.jpg

I had originally thought that the dust filter, being completely worn out at the time, was the cause of the problem. So, I bought a new dust filter (The one in the picture) but still the problem persists. Any help would be appreciated! (Never installed shocks before, so probably made some stupid mistake!)

That's assembled wring my friend have done hundreds of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

You probably have it sorted by now but if not why don't you compare it to the shock on the other side to see where you went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You probably have it sorted by now but if not why don't you compare it to the shock on the other side to see where you went wrong.

Yep, got it fixed there! It turns out that the metal 'washers' which you can see near the top of the shocks, which essentially stop them from popping through the boot, were worn out beyond repair.

What confused about the whole thing was that both washers on either side looked equally damaged, but the one on the left was still able to keep the shocks in place. Turns out there was a very small remnant of the washer left that was keeping everything in place. It threw me off completely.

Had to travel down to Portadown to replacements, but everything is dandy now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement