Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas to relieve cough in 16week old

Options
  • 14-11-2014 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

My little girl is 16weeks and has a terrible cough.
    I've taken her to the doctor and it's not a chest infection so just calpol for her.

I'm just wondering is there anything you would recommended to relieve it slightly? The phn advised raising the head of her cot so she's not lying flat.

Any ideas along those lines would be welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Kaylami wrote: »
    My little girl is 16weeks and has a terrible cough.
    I've taken her to the doctor and it's not a chest infection so just calpol for her.

I'm just wondering is there anything you would recommended to relieve it slightly? The phn advised raising the head of her cot so she's not lying flat.

Any ideas along those lines would be welcome!

Is it a dry cough?

Some honey and glycerin from chemist may sooth her throat.
    Nelsons sootha cough syrup also may help.

Eucalyptus oil on a tissue on radiator or a small drop on a tissue in corner of her cot.
    May help her sinus too

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

Steam - sit in the bathroom with her while you run a hot bath or shower till the room is filled with steam and let her breathe it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭user2012

I usually use vicks on the feet, pop a pair of socks on over it & it works wonders.
    Also a bowl of boiling water with a spoon of vicks in it placed near the cot.
    It's not recommended that you use vicks on a baby, there is a much less potent rub you can get in the chemist called snuffle baby that can be used on the chest/back area. However I found it brilliant on the soles of his feet & never had any bad reaction or anything.

Olbas oil on a tissue & placed on a radiator while the heating is on is also a good idea.

A pillow under the matress to keep her head elevated too so she hopefully doesn't get too caught up.

And after that keep on top of the calpol. If she's bad enough I'd use it alongside nurofen for baby but check with your GP just to be sure to be sure.

I used those cough bottles before & never really found them any good but what works for one baby won't work for another so give it a try if you feel she needs it, I think they're only €7/€8 to buy.

And keep cooled boiled water close to hand for during the night in case she needs a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Thanks everyone she's not caught up nose wise but a really chesty cough but it's not a chest infection I actually have that sootha cough bottle so I might try that.

I have the Vicks for babies so I can use that but will it help with a cough more than a cold?

Thanks everyone you'd swear it was my first rather than my third but I don't remember them being sick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭user2012

Thanks everyone she's not caught up nose wise but a really chesty cough but it's not a chest infection I actually have that sootha cough bottle so I might try that.

I have the Vicks for babies so I can use that but will it help with a cough more than a cold?

Thanks everyone you'd swear it was my first rather than my third but I don't remember them being sick!

I always found the full strength adult vicks worked wonders when put on the soles of the feet. Google it & have a read of it yourself. But anytime we used it here there would have been a good few hours sleep got in one block if not a full nights sleep.
    I'd double check with your pharmacist can the cough bottle with honey in it be given to a 16 week old baby. I know I read somewhere they shouldn't get honey before 12 months but I don't know does that include the likes of a cough bottle.
    Hope you both get some sleep tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

user2012 wrote: »
    I always found the full strength adult vicks worked wonders when put on the soles of the feet. Google it & have a read of it yourself. But anytime we used it here there would have been a good few hours sleep got in one block if not a full nights sleep.
    I'd double check with your pharmacist can the cough bottle with honey in it be given to a 16 week old baby. I know I read somewhere they shouldn't get honey before 12 months but I don't know does that include the likes of a cough cough bottle.
    Hope you both get some sleep tonight.

I misr ead I thought 16 month old! Honey and glycerin can be from one year looking at the bottle at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Honey can cause botulism so don't give honey to a baby under the age of 1.

Thanks everyone I will try the Vicks and talk to the chemist about the Sootha tomorrow.

Fingers crossed she gets some sleep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Thanks everyone I will try the Vicks and talk to the chemist about the Sootha tomorrow.

You could ask on the wonderbaba facebook page - free online pharmacist advise there from a mum. Handy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Sootha is definitely not allowed for under ones because as January said the risk of botulism. But you can get a glycerine and aniseed cough bottle in the chemist that will help sooth their throats. Worth asking about that :) We got chesty sounding coughs like that that weren't chest infections with what felt like every tooth! So used baby olbas oil on a muslin over the radiator, snuffle babe on back feet and chest, nose drops/spray (wether her nose is stuffy or not. Got put on them in hosp and if you use them the reccomended amount 4times a day you'd be surprised how much they can help!) and I used steam her in shower before going to bed too. Hope she feels better soon and ye all got some sleep :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Vicks on the feet is great! Weleda Cattarh Cream is good to rub on the chest and around the nose if they need it- it's much gentler than Vicks for really little ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Our gp told us to use saline spray and a bulb syringe if there's any mucus in the nose as this is usually the cause of the non chesty cough. Otherwise I use olbas oil for children. I dab some on the sheets or in a muslin cloth and leave it near the baby to inhale. When they were really small I also used to burn some olbas oil in the living room during and in the bedroom before bed time

Thanks everyone.

I uses the calpol saline spray, propped up her mattress and baby Vicks and it did give her some relief last night.

To be honest her cough sounded so chesty I was surprised it wasn't a chest infection but the doc said its common in small kids.

Advertisement