Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

African nations

• 14-11-2014 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Odd this was not posted from beginning of the idiotic saga.

Few months ago Morocco expressed concern about hosting it over ebola outbreak.
    CAF said GTF and host it.
    Last week Morrocco pulled out.
    CAF banned them from it.
    Morrocco said "thanks" :pac:

CAF then move it to Equatorial Guinea,

Who were kicked out of it already for fielding an ileglible player.

Are CAF just taking the piss at this stage? From the get go they do not give 1 fcuk about anyone or any team/player regarding Ebola.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30053859

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

My guess is that the other countries they requested to host it rejected the chance for the same reasons Morocco pulled out. So they had to turn to a country like Equatorial Guinea, a country that doesn't care about its own people.

The CAF are an embarrassment. They need to cancel the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tournament is held too regularly imo. Just cancel it and move it to every 4 years, not every 2 which is just a pisstake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Don't forget we are talking about an organisation that banned Togo from 2 African nations cup after they pulled out of the 2010 one when team bus was attacked and killed 3 people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

titan18 wrote: »
    Tournament is held too regularly imo. Just cancel it and move it to every 4 years, not every 2 which is just a pisstake

In a continent where the game is still developing every 2 years gives the game more exposure more regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Went on for all of added time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Starting next week, surprised not more on this. Wouldn't mind watching some of it, but only appears to be on Eurosport. I'm sure i seen an advert for it on ITV4 but cant seem to find it on their website.

Edit.

They have seven games total. One decider from each of the groups, both semis, and the final. Hightlights for all the rest I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its generally of rubbish quality, but thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's a shame the Asian Cup is on at such a sh*t time for us this tournament. Not even a thread about it this time round.

I do enjoy AFCON though. The attendances in 2012 when Guinea and Gabon hosted were shocking at a lot of the games. It'll probably be worse this time around which is disappointing. The games feel like friendlies when there is only 5k in 30k - 50k capacity stadiums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

In a continent where the game is still developing every 2 years gives the game more exposure more regularly

Every 4 years gives it more prestige though. People see it as a friendly tournament because its so regular. If it was held every 4 years, many many more people would take notice of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Bring on the overhit crosses, lack of organisation, ill discipline, shots from 50 yards flying into space and calamitous defending that is African football, should be awful.

• Advertisement

Bring on the overhit crosses, lack of organisation, ill discipline, shots from 50 yards flying into space and calamitous defending that is African football, should be awful.

Thank God we don't see that following Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Go Zambia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Groups C & D look intense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The african cup of nations is a great tournament for fans. I recommend anyone to go to one for a "something different" holiday and just support the home nation and soak up the atmosphere. Probably best not go to one in Equatorial Guinea thought.

Over 3.5s tho

Eurosport seem to be showing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

odds on which nation will be first to have trouble due to "payment irregularities" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This was true in the tournaments 20 years ago. Most of these players play in Europe now. It's come a long way*.

*On the field. Off the field is still a farce.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Entertaining opening game, don't know it has taken this long for Congo to equalise

This was true in the tournaments 20 years ago. Most of these players play in Europe now. It's come a long way*.

*On the field. Off the field is still a farce.

Shtop, im after seeing a 5 on 2 attack by Burkina Faso in the first five minutes of their game with Gabon and the obligatory mental 40 yarder too, brilliant. One good thing is that there are some great goalscorer prices available.

This has been horrendous to watch, the level of football from attack to defence is woeful.

The 2 on one last night in the Cape Verde game is a good case in point of this African Nations. The defending goalie, defender and 2 attackers all combined to arse it up spectacularly, think it went for a throw in the end.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    This has been horrendous to watch, the level of football from attack to defence is woeful.

The 2 on one last night in the Cape Verde game is a good case in point of this African Nations. The defending goalie, defender and 2 attackers all combined to arse it up spectacularly, think it went for a throw in the end.

The corners by the Congolese lad where he cleared it to the far corner on multiple consecutive occasions was also hilariously horrid.

Haven't seen a single minute of this tournament, whats it like so far to those that are watching?

Good, bad, awful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

NIMAN wrote: »
    Haven't seen a single minute of this tournament, whats it like so far to those that are watching?

Good, bad, awful?
    Mixed. Mostly not great.

I think all the players look bolloxid and completley not arsed.

Pants, so.

As usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Equatorial Guinea are leading 2-0 with two mins to go. Unreal scenes. Minnow side look to be going through. Didnt even qualify and got a Denmark style reprieve when Morocco declined to host and EQ took their spot. Great buzz altogether on ITV4!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Equatorial Guinea are leading 2-0 with two mins to go. Unreal scenes. Minnow side look to be going through. Didnt even qualify and got a Denmark style reprieve when Morocco declined to host and EQ took their spot. Great buzz altogether on ITV4!

They were actually disqualified for fielding an illeglible player, be great fun if they won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Group D is noteworthy as all 4 games have finished 1-1 so everyone has an equal record.

Therefore I think the possibilities for gameday 3 are as follows.

a good outcome not needing drawing of lots.
    a) both games have winners, both go through.

needing lots but not for elimination.
    b) both games are drawn but one is a higher scoring draw, the two teams involved in the higher scoring draw go through but draw lots to decide first and second.

needing lot to eliminate teams.
    c) One game has a winner but the other is a draw, the teams in the drawn game draw lots to decide who goes through and who is eliminated.
    d) both games drawn with the same scoreline. All 4 teams have identical records and we need a 4 way drawing of lots to decide the two who qualify.

A pity they can't have a penalty shootout to split the teams if 'c' occurs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Africa_Cup_of_Nations#Group_D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Why isn't this competition properly integrated into the international calendar? Ridiculous that clubs must lose players in the middle of a league season.

• Advertisement

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Why isn't this competition properly integrated into the international calendar? Ridiculous that clubs must lose players in the middle of a league season.

Is it because of the climate?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

How come there hasn't being a plague of locusts/ grasshoppers like last time.? Zambia ( we shall remember them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Why is this tournament played every second year? Kind of devalues it to be honest. I've watched a couple of games and the bigger teams don't seem that arsed about it. The standard of the pitches are shocking as well. I can see why some players coming from European clubs aren't taking it seriously when they come from playing on a slick surface to a bog.

It's also baffling why it wasn't cancelled this year because of the Ebola virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

thelad95 wrote: »
    Why is this tournament played every second year? Kind of devalues it to be honest. I've watched a couple of games and the bigger teams don't seem that arsed about it.

Africa is the poorest football region and this competition is just about the only (meagre) revenue that the associations on that continent brings in. (No rich leagues filtering down money, a struggling champions league etc). So 'its needed' is as good an answer as any for why its every second year.
    The standard of the pitches are shocking as well. I can see why some players coming from European clubs aren't taking it seriously when they come from playing on a slick surface to a bog.
    Maybe I've been lucky in the games I've seen but everyone seems to have been 'up for it'. Pitches I agree are poor.
    It's also baffling why it wasn't cancelled this year because of the Ebola virus.
    I'd be of the 'show must go on' persuasion. Can't lock up an entire continent twice the size of Europe because theres a disease in a small corner of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Africa is the poorest football region and this competition is just about the only (meagre) revenue that the associations on that continent brings in. (No rich leagues filtering down money, a struggling champions league etc). So 'its needed' is as good an answer as any for why its every second year.

Maybe I've been lucky in the games I've seen but everyone seems to have been 'up for it'. Pitches I agree are poor.

I'd be of the 'show must go on' persuasion. Can't lock up an entire continent twice the size of Europe because theres a disease in a small corner of it.

A disease that previously had a death rate of 78% or there abouts...in countries were washing deseased body's(thus spreading the disease) is seen as natural and perfectly normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Drawing of lots for a QF place. Has this happened in any tournament since the 60s?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30910026

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    Drawing of lots for a QF place. Has this happened in any tournament since the 60s?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30910026

Ireland in 1990

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Ireland in 1990

Nope, we qualified by ourselves, lots determined second and third in the group. Second and third qualified that year because of the 24 team format. Ourselves and Netherlands finished the group with identical records.

Drawing of lots is a bit unfair. Is there anything to be said for a penalty shoot-out, an egg and spoon race or a tug-of-war?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Drawing of lots is a bit unfair. Is there anything to be said for a penalty shoot-out, an egg and spoon race or a tug-of-war?

Particularly stupid as Guinea were actually playing Mali in the last game, so they could have held extra time / penalties to decide.

Pillow fight?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Pillow fight?

A game of go fish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Even a replay a la the FA Cup perhaps, with extra time and penalties if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Guinea are through after the drawing of lots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

How transparent was the drawing of lots? Aren't Guinea the hosts? (Who at one point were banned.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

How transparent was the drawing of lots? Aren't Guinea the hosts? (Who at one point were banned.)

Nope Equatorial Guinea are the hosts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭15Pete

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/30963457

It looks as if there has been more chaos at the tournament. Despite what seems on the face of it a glorious victory for the underdog, the last thing this tournament needed was ugly post-match scenes.

That penalty award was so comical to Equatorial Guinea, it may prompt one to throw the word 'corruption' out. Tonight was a bad night for the image of the African Nations Cup.

Cracking free kick tho

No idea how to link a facebook video go here and scroll down.

https://www.facebook.com/101GreatGoalsCom?fref=nf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

One of the worst penalty decisions I've ever seen. A blatant fix. Tunisia had every right to be mad but they took it a bit too far at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Has anyone noticed that O'Neills do the jersey for DR Congo?

• Advertisement
Advertisement