Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there still lots of leaves on trees where you are?

• 14-11-2014 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

Went to give a home/business the final maintenance of the year and was surprised to see the Alders in full-leaf and the birch with more leaves than I ever remember for mid-November. Roses still blooming, fuschia, hydrangea and hypericum still flowering.

Do you reckon this is because of September being so warm and sunny and because there hasn't been any frost yet? I can't ever remember seeing so many trees still in green leaf.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Agreed. Lots of leaves still on almost everything here, including shrubs, fruit trees etc and especially the alders. It seems a bit later than usual but a good storm would shake a lot of them free. It has been very mild overall and the lowest temp I recorded so far was 4 degrees. That said, Raidio na Galetachta has reported the first snow of the year on the top of Mt Brandon - so winter is on the way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Agree with this - i am living in Dublin area - the brown leaves have al fallen and there are still green leaves left on trees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭macraignil

Silver birch here in north Cork have lost their leaves. Apple and pear trees and hawthorns still have some green leaves and I'm fairly sure they were gone at this time in other years. I guess it's got something to do with the summer being so warm. There has been frost here but some shrubs and roses are still flowering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

not much bare root for sale yet either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

my begonias have still flowers on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Still some beautiful red roses in the peoples gardens in Phoenix park , very deep reds in this winter light ,stunning ,the first frost will have them though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Was just remarking on that this morning myself. All the high trees like ash, maple, chestnut etc., are all bare but the lower growing stuff in the garden, magnolia, deutzia, azalea and apple trees are still in full leaf. Also have lots of blooms still looking good including roses. It has been very mild here in suburban Cork, just wet,wet,wet.

Advertisement