Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wheat beer recipe

Options
  • 14-11-2014 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Looking to make a beer for Xmas read that wheat beers can be drunk young which would be perfect,anyone with a good tried and tested extract wheat beer recipe?like the thought of adding orange peel and coriander so maybe looking at a Belgium style wit beer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's a recipe here that might suit

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Looking to make a beer for Xmas read that wheat beers can be drunk young which would be perfect,anyone with a good tried and tested extract wheat beer recipe?like the thought of adding orange peel and coriander so maybe looking at a Belgium style wit beer

Extract or All Grain?

Yeast selection is important. I only use dried, but I have found that most of the dried beer wheat beer yeast strains are pretty solid. However they struggle to get the interesting yeast character of Bavarian Hefeweizen or Belgian Wit. I have been recommended Brewferm Blanche for wit beers, and I have been pleasantly surprised by the yeast character of the Mangrove Jack wheat beer yeast.

For AG recipes, use as high a proportion of malted wheat as your setup can take. For Belgian Wit styles however, it is more appropriate to use a 50:50 mix of unmalted (flaked) wheat, and barley malt.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

If you like Schneider Weisse Tap7 this is a straight forward all grain recipe.

2 weeks fermenting and 2 weeks in the bottle would leave you at Christmas day. With a couple of days to source your ingredients. And it is the right style of beer to drink very young.

3,366g - Wheat (59% of Grain Bill)
    2,245g - Pilsener (40% of Grain Bill)
    59g - Carafa III (1% of Grain Bill)
    5,670g - Total

Hops: 14g Hallertau Hersbrucker @ 60mins

With an 11L mash, 7L mashout and a 12L sparge, should come close to 23L after your boil.

Yeast: I cultured yeast from a bottle of Tap7 (buy a couple of bottles tonight and get started!).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Wookie wrote: »

Yeast: I cultured yeast from a bottle of Tap7 (buy a couple of bottles tonight and get started!).

I assume that needs to ferment cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

I pitched at 22ish then let the temp drop to 18c (this probably took 24+ hours). Once at 18c I held it there for the guts of three weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

Thanks for the suggestions only set up for extract at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

loyatemu wrote: »
    I assume that needs to ferment cold?

Typically wheat beers ferment at warm temperatures (i.e. they are not lagered). Standard ale fermentation temperature is fine, also check what your yeast manufacturer says (with a pinch of salt in some cases).

Advertisement