Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting firm Trainee Salary

Options
  • 14-11-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi

I've been offered a position with a large accounting firm. I'ts a trainee contract for 3 years. Starting salary is just over 20k which is upsetting as I was on the same money when I completed a 6 month placement, and due to the fact that I worked so hard in getting this job

I'm in the technology sector, starting salaries are roughly 30k for grads give or take a few K, but I know there's no room for negotiation with Deloitte and its a take it or leave it situation

Has anyone had this experience in taking a job like this, and if so, were the yearly salary increases big or small?

Thanks so much in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lostsoul21

Did you not just ask the same question in another thread you set up ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Work in the same sector myself and I wouldn't even consider that offer, if I was you. That salary is woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What qualification will you be pursuing? That kind of salary is typically only offered to people who are studying to qualify.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

A starting salary of 30k for an IT grad- is typically for someone who can land on their feet and get going immediately. It is not for someone who requires a considerable conversion or training programme. I'm familiar with several people who've done accounting firm training programme- and gone on to bigger and better things (not least, one of my sisters- who is still with them). It is a hard slog. She was a fully qualified solicitor when she took the post- and despite not having an accountancy background- was expected over the course of her traineeship to acquire specific skills pertinent to those type roles.

The salary is one aspect of the job- normally there are specific milestones you can meet which result in salary bumps- such as taking professional exams etc.

Btw- 30k for an ICT grad- without good experience or proven skills- is the exception, not the norm- in *any* industry- public or private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The salary is fairly poor until you get chartered. If you get that a lot of options seem to open up for you, get a good bump in pay, etc. Can take three years though.

• Advertisement

The salary is fairly poor until you get chartered.

Chartered? The OP works in the tech sector. What level of education have you OP?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Berserker wrote: »
    Chartered? The OP works in the tech sector. What level of education have you OP?

He probably has an IT degree and wants to walk into a 30k+ job?
    <<removed firm name at OPs request>> has a standard approach which it applies to all-comers- I've friends with honours Ag Sci. degrees who got their professional accountancy exams in <<removed firm name at OPs request>>....... If you subscribe to their model- its really really good- if you don't subscribe to their model- its not for you.........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ah right sorry, don't mind me.

If you subscribe to their model- its really really good- if you don't subscribe to their model- its not for you.........

I am aware of their model but I didn't realize that their grad salaries were that low. You couldn't possibly make ends meet on €20K, unless you live with your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I am aware of their model but I didn't realize that their grad salaries were that low. You couldn't possibly make ends meet on €20K, unless you live with your parents.

You could definitely make ends meet on a low 20k salary even if you lived in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

You could definitely make ends meet on a low 20k salary even if you lived in Dublin.

Yup, I earn 20k and live in Dublin. I don't live at home. I make ends meet. I save money. I do social things. However, I don't have a car, don't smoke, and don't drink often. So I guess all these things require a lot of money if you have/do them. Even so, people don't seem to know how to budget anymore if they think you can't live on 20k in Dublin.

Advertisement