Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leixlip - good place for a young family?

Options
  • 14-11-2014 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

I would love to hear the opinions of people who have or currently do live in Leixlip. We were hoping up buy I maynooth but the lack of housing is a problem so we're looking at Leixlip now. In particular, I saw a house in Glendale meadows... Any idea what that's like?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I live in Maynooth.
    I lived in Glendale Meadows as a child but it was a long time ago!
    We ruled out Leixlip completely despite the good public transport as we just did not feel it had the same small town feeling as Maynooth and had a lot less amenities.
    I think it is only bigger houses in Maynooth that the prices have gone crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

Last time I was out that direction it was full of "holiday makers / tourists" too much for me. but nice area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Hi moonbeam, I completely agree. We're looking at Leixlip as an alternative but my hearts not in it. I absolutely adore maynooth, so much so that I have a job interview there next week. I'm terrified I'm going to get it all wrong... Wind up with a job in a place where we can't find a house :(
    It's not just that prices in maynooth have gone up, there's actually no houses bigger than 1000sqft. We viewed one of the 5 beds in moyglare and I initially wrote it off but we're considering going back for a second viewing.

Mech1 wrote: »
    Last time I was out that direction it was full of "holiday makers / tourists" too much for me. but nice area.

Sorry but I don't understand this? Tourists in Leixlip?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭lilydonoghue

yellow hen wrote: »
    Sorry but I don't understand this? Tourists in Leixlip?

Me neither I was also wondering that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Reared in Leixlip and bought in Leixlip, albeit in the other end, so I'm a little biased, but it's a great area.

Relatively low crime, close to Dublin, good public transport, all the schools are in walking distance of nearly all of the estates, wide variety of sports clubs etc.

Maynooth is lovely too, better for pubs and restaurants. I doubt you'd be disappointed with either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

yellow hen wrote: »
    Hi moonbeam, I completely agree. We're looking at Leixlip as an alternative but my hearts not in it. I absolutely adore maynooth, so much so that I have a job interview there next week. I'm terrified I'm going to get it all wrong... Wind up with a job in a place where we can't find a house :(
    It's not just that prices in maynooth have gone up, there's actually no houses bigger than 1000sqft. We viewed one of the 5 beds in moyglare and I initially wrote it off but we're considering going back for a second viewing.

Did you have a look at Maynooth Park ? There are a few for sale and they should be quite big

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I live in Maynooth.
    I lived in Glendale Meadows as a child but it was a long time ago!
    We ruled out Leixlip completely despite the good public transport as we just did not feel it had the same small town feeling as Maynooth and had a lot less amenities.
    I think it is only bigger houses in Maynooth that the prices have gone crazy.

i'd have considered leixlip to have more of a small town feel to it than maynooth tbh.

as for amenities, about the only thing it is lacking is a major grocery retailer. Considering all the major chains are in the next three towns over (Maynooth, Lucan and Celbridge, with 3 tesco's, 2 dunnes. 1 supervalu and god knows what else) there's no real need for a major grocery retail unit. Added to that, in leixlip you don't have the traffic issues associated with that.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Did you have a look at Maynooth Park ? There are a few for sale and they should be quite big

Yes, there was one of those houses that is worth a visit. They're mostly at the top end of our budget and would probably require quite a bit of work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Living in Leixlip since 2000. Has its faults, including tourists, but no more so than any of the surrounding towns.

If proximity to Dublin is important then Leixlip is a better choice than the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

Leixlip to city centre is do-able in under half an hour off peak .Obviously depending on exact start and finish points .Youd possibly be closer to 20 than 30 minutes if in a hurry andprepared to take a risk with the speed cameras .Leixlip would be my choice of the three although Maynooth is a foodies paradise .

Advertisement