Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow-2 bright flaring satellites about 22:10

Options
  • 14-11-2014 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

anybody else see them.Never seen that before-brightest satellite ever seen and there were 2 of them almost following each other.Very cool lookin-ran inside for vid cam and couldn't locate it grr

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

anybody else see them.Never seen that before-brightest satellite ever seen and there were 2 of them almost following each other.Very cool lookin-ran inside for vid cam and couldn't locate it grr
    Not a thing im afraid. Stuck in work. Did you look up any satellite apps for ID?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

I didn't but I'm reasonably confident they were satellites.At first because of the brightness I thought helicopters or planes but then the lack of sound,trajectory and fading brightness eliminated all but the obvious....I think. They were passing roughly southeast to northwest just below cassiopeia and thru big dipper.Spaceweathers sat tracker is down at min

Southeast to northwest is an unusual orbit for sure! And a closely orbiting pair only adds to the strangeness. Who launches satellites "the wrong way"??? Unless they were in a polar orbit??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Even though there was partial cloud cover last night the stars were spectacularly bright! There was a gap in the clouds that revealed Orion, which looked brilliant. Normally the light pollution reduces the brightness, but for some reason not last night.

looksee wrote: »
    Even though there was partial cloud cover last night the stars were spectacularly bright! There was a gap in the clouds that revealed Orion, which looked brilliant. Normally the light pollution reduces the brightness, but for some reason not last night.
    That would have been the epic rain that cleaned the atmosphere. Shows how much dirt is in our skies.
    I still dont know who launches satellites "the wong way". Really weird.

• Advertisement

Could be the Future Imagery Architecture satellites, although its not clear if any fly in pairs.

Or this:

http://www.satobs.org/noss.html

Funnily enough the app Solar Walk has two satellites heading that way at that time but not very closely. I wouldnt call them a pair in any case. They are Daichi and Envisat.
    Worth a look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

shedweller wrote: »
    That would have been the epic rain that cleaned the atmosphere. Shows how much dirt is in our skies.
    I still dont know who launches satellites "the wong way". Really weird.

Don't quote me on this, but a vaguely remember reading somewhere that the Israelis have a least one Satellite up there orbiting the wrong way. I am far from sure however!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

The Russians launched a satellite recently that is supposed to be in an irregular orbit. This particular satellite has been maneuvering to other Russian satellites since its launch so it might have been what you saw. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/cdd0bdb6-6c27-11e4-990f-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3JbI1udzM

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

shedweller wrote: »
    Funnily enough the app Solar Walk has two satellites heading that way at that time but not very closely. I wouldnt call them a pair in any case. They are Daichi and Envisat.
    Worth a look?

will check out solar walk
    the 2 weren't very close-just that they were both moving in sameish orbit and both flaring at same time--maybe 10 or 12 apparent full moon widths apart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

bogwalrus wrote: »
    The Russians launched a satellite recently that is supposed to be in an irregular orbit. This particular satellite has been maneuvering to other Russian satellites since its launch so it might have been what you saw. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/cdd0bdb6-6c27-11e4-990f-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3JbI1udzM

That object is quite small and (afaik) not visible at all from the ground.

Heavens-above.com is the place to go for satellite visibility for me, and you can look at retrospective passes as well.

Advertisement