Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop charging extra for ESB pay as you go meter card

Options
  • 15-11-2014 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

A friend bought a 5 euro pay-as-you-go ESB meter card today in her local shop and they told her they're charging 40 cents extra for that service now.

Do people here know if this service charge (and that rate) is rare, becoming more common or suddenly a new thing with all shops? I'm very curious!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I remember one place I went to introduced it a couple years ago. but it didn't last cos they don't charge extra anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Every where here does too, its a real pain. I used to pick up a few bits as its a supermarket across town that sells the top ups, now I just buy the top up and leave.

I realise the business has costs that have to be met, but as soon as the ESB make credit available online then the shops will lose the custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Thanks for the replies. I was just surprised since I assumed shops received their fee from the price of the card itself rather than having to tack on an extra 40c.

It just all adds up and it seems silly for one shop to charge it but the next shop a few metres away to not do so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

It is becoming more common now I am afraid. The shop gets19c for doing it. If you put 50 euro on your card, and the bank charges the shop 50c per hundred to lodge that cash, then the shop makes a net loss on your topup. Then the staff member expects to be paid....

Sounds harsh, but its financial reality I am afraid.

Advertisement