Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jago's matted tail :)

• 15-11-2014 12:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

hey everybody,
    long time I don't post here :)

So, Jago is adult now and has looonger hair!
    (he is an irish Black setter :D .. )

With the weather these days.. well, his coat is terrible.
    The problem is that doesn't matter the brushing, he comes back from the afternoon run completely covered of mud..
    I washed him few times, but cannot really wash him every single day.
    So I try to dry him a bit with a towel... but...

I had to cut a lot of the hair on his tail today because it was badly "matted" (I don't know if it's the right word?).. and couldn't solve brushing..

What do you do with your dogs?
    It is better a winter cut, keep a bit shorter the hair on the tail..?

He really needs to run after the ball even in this weather!

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I have a long-coated GSD who is persistently manky in this sort of weather!
    But, what I have found has helped it to massage leave-in conditioner through her tail and feathering :P
    It makes it easier to brush through once they're dry. You're better off to put some conditioner in, brush the matts out (it's easier with the conditioner, then put some conditioner in every day before you head out for a walk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

uh is it a specific conditioner?
    thanks!

No, you can get the human version in any large supermarket, there are different brands, in the shampoo aisle! It's "leave-in" conditioner, so you massage it through the hair and leave it to dry in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

DBB wrote: »
    No, you can get the human version in any large supermarket, there are different brands, in the shampoo aisle! It's "leave-in" conditioner, so you massage it through the hair and leave it to dry in :)

We used to do this with Shadow too, as he had the mix of a rough and border collie coat - which made for a ridiculous tail that looked like it had been crimped and back-combed. Vets used to comment on how fruity he smelled :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

welcome back jsabina!
    Is Jago as nutty as ever?!? It would be great to see a photo of him now that hes grown :)

• Advertisement

oh yes,
    he is always hyperactive :D
    but now with his friend buddy at least he doesn't destroy the house anymore!
    I must say I have been super lucky, he is a fantastic dog and apart from the high energy he is very easy to manage :)

plenty of photos here (too many I know :D )

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/91956742@N06/

14367065739_a67021ab1a_z.jpg

and here playing with my sister's dog :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxkqYjO48Pc&list=UUL7K9c6XggoQSGY6cxxi22g&index=7

Oh WOW jsabina! I hadn't realised before how Setter-y he is... I have such a ridiculous crush on black setters!
    Is that the beach at Gyles' Quay, north of Dundalk on the road to Carlingford? It looks very familiar to me!

he is a nice mix! And I didn't like setters before :O I don't know why!

there are few beaches in my photos,
    I think yes one could be Gyle's Quay, another Blackrock near Dundalk.. and then some portmarnock as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Oh. My. Dog.

He is SO handsome :D

And may I say that looking through those Flickr pictures made me really happy? Agility, ball, beaches, swimming, doggie friends, snuggly beds, cuddles... He is one spoiled doggy!

jsabina wrote: »
    I think yes one could be Gyle's Quay, another Blackrock near Dundalk.. and then some portmarnock as well

They're the ones where the dogs are paddling about in a stream that flows put across the beach. It's a stony and sandy beach. And I think the photos of the sheep were taken there too?
    I wasn't stalking you, I swear :pac:

• Advertisement

yes Gyle's quay!
    Beautiful place really.
    I got to know only know Dundalk surroudings and there are many nice places for dog walks!

Thanks everybody for the nice comments :)
    He is spoiled but I am super lucky to have two fantastic dogs!
    I know it's a bit OT, but really thanks to the dog that bring me outdoor for walks, running, discovering Ireland and meeting new friends!

:)

I will let you know how is going with Jago's tail, lol, I will buy the conditioner and hopefully it will work!

Advertisement