Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

late late show

Options
  • 15-11-2014 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭

Very quick question. After reading this description of Bugger as per Oxford definition, do you find it more/less offensive than the term ugly. I used the latter and while accepting it is a little demeaning i asked the mod who gave me a warning wby she her self and every other poster is able to refer to tubridy as a bugger and get no similar warning.... Her answer (as pdr her ignorance i assume to what the word actually means ) was that it was non offensive! When i explained that it was far more expletive and offensive she refused to communicate, your thoughts.... (it was mrs d btw)

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/bugger

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Versions of bugger & buggery can be used quite inoffensively. The comments you refer to relate back to a specific actor calling him a dainty little bugger, similar to how some people call children little buggers, widely regarded as inoffensive. Those who find it offensive on forum could report those posts and have them reviewed. If it proves tyo be halting the flow of threads or upsetting people, then views on the 'comment' (not the word itself, which can most definitely be used offensively in the right contexts) can be looked at in a new light.

Regardless of all that, it won't be used to draw attention away from your own post.

You called the presenter ugly on two or more occasions, which is still against the charter as you're no doubt well aware as a frequent poster - and whatever warning was applied to it still stands.

Rather than compare dictionary notes with Moderators on what is and isn't, or calling out supposed ignorance, you could consider a feedback thread regarding the use of the word on site instead.

Typical response. I KNEW WHAT THE COMMENT REFERRED TO.i made that clear. Nevertheless the definition of bugger is what it is.if we used that logic there are a variant of uses for word ugly. I accept it was wrong when I used it but i find it unfair the same complainer takes liberty to comment on Tubridy's appearance by calling him a Dainty little bugger which is a demeaning description as anyone would tell you. It was in jest but nonetheless if someone called me a dainty little bugger i wouldnt be happy. You will disagree of course as is the norm with these mod issues. I dont want to be wasting my time wigh this but the fact is the mods here have built a rather totalitarian procedure ... We are always right and we will not listen to excuses! Even the fact that you are telling me i am wasting time questioning the rules on here on a disciplinary dispute thread says it all!!

On the contrary, I'm telling you because DRP is here to resolve mod action disputes, not converse over what is offensive and inoffensive in terms of general use of words on Boards - there are more suitable places for it.

You were lightly warned for doing what you admitted was wrong yet wonder why you got a pretty typical response regarding it and blame the mods for handling it the way it should have been handled. Shame the comment was made on show thus opening it for discussion whereas calling someone ugly isn't really on. It's a clear case as far as I'm concerned and comes with a clear answer.

The other factors are not open for discussion here - but as said, you could quite easily open it up for public debate if you feel that way inclined - much like has been done for a lot of words that fall into this category - such as the casual use of the "Retarded" etc

Warning upheld - you may elevate this for admin review if you wish.

For your information. Tubridy ON THAT VERY SHOW has referred to himself as ugly and other self demeaning words, of course in jest, but nonetheless same were used so your argument that Dainty little bugger is ok to use as it was used in the show.

I love the way there is a dispute resolution to unresolved dispute resolutions...... Joke of a system.

Hence it's a shame, as said. Regardless, the other details won't be resolved in this thread and do not effect your case but can be investigated or publicly discussed elsewhere.

Again, do you wish for an Admin Review? If not, this can be marked as resolved.

But its not resolved??!! I just dont see any point in consulting with boards mods as its pointless. . Btw your "hence, its a shame" comment is irrelevant and makes no sense to this dispute. Please dont mark it as resolved, just go on your merry way. Ill consider my options.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Marked as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement