Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sell over internet

Options
  • 15-11-2014 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I am planning sell light bulbs over ebay and amazon, would like to get some advice on packing and shipping. Anyone can help?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 niallweb1

enquire in the post office how much it will cost and then you will know. use bubble wrap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Bulbs are very fragile, as said already bubble warp and when you think its wrapped enough double it. To send one ordinary bulb would need to be wrapped in bubble wrap to 1 foot cubed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ciku202

Thank you for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

ciku202 wrote: »
    I am planning sell light bulbs over ebay and amazon, would like to get some advice on packing and shipping. Anyone can help?

I would advise you to research dropshipping these items. You're going into a market where I'd imagine 99% of other sellers are dropshipping these and with shipping/postal rates from Ireland I just don't see how you could compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭andy t

bubble wrap & then a bubble insulated envelope .
    the last thing you need is bad feedback if items get broke

• Advertisement

Thank you for you all. Gosh, I feel I just made my decision too quick, but goods is on the way to Ireland now, should had posted my question here beforehand...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Well if they are on the way to Ireland, whats done is done. But you really should sort out the packaging asap. If you go with An Post you will get ripped off. They really changed their packaging rates and what applies during the year.

The rule of thumb with them was that if it fitted through the letter box it would be classed as a large envelope. Now even the same bubble wrap a4 envelope gets classed as a packet. Which automatically starts at €2.70.

may have to sell 5+ unit together or try something else then

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭andy t

best of luck with it,,, hope you get good rates sorted

andy t wrote: »
    best of luck with it,,, hope you get good rates sorted

Thank you. Currently talking to someone that may take everything from me when it arrives, with original price... A lesson to be learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

ciku202 wrote: »
    Thank you. Currently talking to someone that may take everything from me when it arrives, with original price... A lesson to be learned.

Got to ask you a question... Are they the new energy saving bulbs or the classic filament bulbs?
    Because depending on the type, that deal you got lined up will be very wise or extremely foolish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

I hope they are led

cfl are about to go out and leds are becoming popular

• Registered Users Posts: 40 noel69

I sell about 500 bulbs on ebay a month, i may be able to help you out. What type of bulbs do you intend to sell and where are you based.

braddun wrote: »
    I hope they are led

cfl are about to go out and leds are becoming popular

I absolutely agree with you.

vnlabor wrote: »
    Here some advices for any kind of products you sell online
    * Products must be accompanied with pictures.
    You can not attract your customers if there is no image of the product. And if you take pictures from the other sites as their product then it's no different from deceiving customers. Not only having pictures, but must be accompanied by a clear explanation, depict actual product specific, detailed. You also should shoot your product by yourself, which will create the most honest about your products.

* Price
    Research to the market, selling the most appropriate price as you can.
    If your price is lower than the market price. This is an advantage, you should promote this strength. Compare your prices with other places, and what make your prices cheaper.
    If your price is higher than the market. You definitely give them a reason to choose your product but rival products.

* Attitude when exposed to customers.
    Friendly attitude but determined in bargaining issues only play a small part in online sales success. The key here is that you must be patient, no, absolutely no show your harsh attitude when talk or chat with customers. If you do not want that conversation appeared in forum to talk about your store. Comfortable with customers whether they "asked a lot" but did not buy.

* Be honest when selling online.
    Selling online requires honesty, customers are very sensitive to words like "beautiful", "best", "cheap". You can fool them once, but assure you that is the last time.

*How to contact the seller.
    If you are a company, you needs to have a clearly address, if the address changes, it is necessarily disclosed on the website or send a mail to the patrons. It would be better if the online sales which is your home address. This will increase the confidence of customers by multiplied.

Yes, thank you for your suggestion, cannot agree more. I have everything set for the online shop, regarding price, I can do better than ebay seller "excellent_sourcing" on B22, B27, E14, G10 and still have nice profit remain.

Do you think there is a chance for me?

noel69 wrote: »
    I sell about 500 bulbs on ebay a month, i may be able to help you out. What type of bulbs do you intend to sell and where are you based.

I am in Cork and I got E14(3W), GU5.3(4W), GU10(4W), B22 (7, 9W), E27(7, 9W), G4(1.5W), all CE & ROHS certified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Well if they are on the way to Ireland, whats done is done. But you really should sort out the packaging asap. If you go with An Post you will get ripped off. They really changed their packaging rates and what applies during the year.

The rule of thumb with them was that if it fitted through the letter box it would be classed as a large envelope. Now even the same bubble wrap a4 envelope gets classed as a packet. Which automatically starts at €2.70.

Ripped off? - How?

An Post publish their rates and measurements and display them in their offices and online. Nothing sinister about them, measurements have not changed for years.

Some people tried to rip an post off by trying to pay a lower rate than they should ahve been paying by trying to class a small packet as an envelope - that's not an post ripping off, that's the customer trying to pull a fast one.

As for the OP - a small strong box with the bulbs wrapped in bubble. - If you are going to be doing volume, negotiate with An Post & Couriers - depending on volume you could get a rate of about €4 per box delivered net day anywhere in Ireland (and get them collected from you)

An Post aside..
    The cost of logistics in Ireland is substantial, by the time you ship a product into Ireland, break it down, repackage in smaller lots, ship it back out internationally the costs have mounted seriously. Unless you're dealing with a very high margin product I just don't see it as a viable business model.

delahuntv wrote: »
    Ripped off? - How?

An Post publish their rates and measurements and display them in their offices and online. Nothing sinister about them, measurements have not changed for years.

Some people tried to rip an post off by trying to pay a lower rate than they should ahve been paying by trying to class a small packet as an envelope - that's not an post ripping off, that's the customer trying to pull a fast one.

As for the OP - a small strong box with the bulbs wrapped in bubble. - If you are going to be doing volume, negotiate with An Post & Couriers - depending on volume you could get a rate of about €4 per box delivered net day anywhere in Ireland (and get them collected from you)
    Thank you for the information. 4Euro for a box of 10 units won't sound that bad,post rate is very expensive compare with other countries.

_Brian wrote: »
    An Post aside..
    The cost of logistics in Ireland is substantial, by the time you ship a product into Ireland, break it down, repackage in smaller lots, ship it back out internationally the costs have mounted seriously. Unless you're dealing with a very high margin product I just don't see it as a viable business model.
    Maybe transportation could be a good business to get in :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

i think its fastway my dad uses. A big package is only €7.... not sure of exact dimensions but you'd easily fit 40 lightbulbs in it!

tacofries wrote: »
    i think its fastway my dad uses. A big package is only €7.... not sure of exact dimensions but you'd easily fit 40 lightbulbs in it!

Yes, but who is buying 40 lightbulbs??, and if I were buying that many I'd go direct myself..

tacofries wrote: »

Does he do smaller boxes? Are you in cork too?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

_Brian wrote: »
    Yes, but who is buying 40 lightbulbs??, and if I were buying that many I'd go direct myself..

We buy a load at once, not 40 though. They're not going to go to waste. Admittedly many other people may not buy them in big multiples

Advertisement