Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cologne or Eindhoven marathon?

Options
  • 15-11-2014 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about marathon plans for next year and have the shortlist narrowed down to Cologne or Eindhoven. I'm thinking these two as they're early in October, which will suit better for a number of reasons.

Has anyone here ever done either of them, and have any information to give on the relative merits? Both would seem to be fast, easy enough to get to, and well organised. Cologne looks like a beautiful city, but I'm slightly put off by the fact that my goal time would have put me in the top 30 in Cologne this year, as against just about the top 100 in Eindhoven. The last two fast marathons I've done, I've found it a good thing having plenty of people to chase down, so not sure about finishing so high up the field, with larger gaps. Perhaps some of the faster people around here can comment on whether that can be a good thing in any way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

I ran cologne in 2013 and did the half there this year. Flew into dussledorf and train down. Very handy to get there from airport. Course is nice with a little coming back one way while others running the other way...for viewing I saw my mates at 11k then took the train out to catch them at 28k and 35k at a guess while standing more or less on same spot...I think it's mid September now though.i noticed at 35k it was well spread out...depends on what you want. Great surface on road...you can go right up to the top at the start so all pluses. We stayed in same apt the two years..pm me if you want any other info..I was even able to amend my booking from the full to the half up to start of August for a fiver

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Got a taste for the German Autumn marathons then. Will consider it myself and if I do go for it I promise to brush up on the mother tongue ;)

Crucial for the sneaky beer swilling in the taxi between bars!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Itziger wrote: »
    Got a taste for the German Autumn marathons then. Will consider it myself and if I do go for it I promise to brush up on the mother tongue ;)

Crucial for the sneaky beer swilling in the taxi between bars!!

Maith an fear, is maith an t-anlann í an tart.

It'd be great craic if there was a bit if company on the trip alright, makes marathon weekends much more fun.. You recovering well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Maith an fear, is maith an t-anlann í an tart.

It'd be great craic if there was a bit if company on the trip alright, makes marathon weekends much more fun.. You recovering well?

Have had first good weekend since Frankfurt. Had been having a problem before that with annoying and debilitating hip/groin pain but much better today. Had done a bit of foam rolling, exercises and used Kinesio tape for first time ever today. Won't be the last.

Advertisement