Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to spend on a house?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BertyytreB

Ok further considerations here. As I have an option of a rent free place for two years should I:

A. Go for a ftb house and get that better rate, 30 year term and move in there.

B. Go for an investor loan at higher rate, 25year term, rent it out for the two years and then move in at this point and change to a better owner occupier rate? In the mean time I could save a lump sum to pay off. However would also probably have to pay part of the mortgage, furnish etc.

C. Do nothing keep saving and try get disposit to 100k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

BertyytreB wrote: »
    Ok further considerations here. As I have an option of a rent free place for two years should I:

A. Go for a ftb house and get that better rate, 30 year term and move in there.

B. Go for an investor loan at higher rate, 25year term, rent it out for the two years and then move in at this point and change to a better owner occupier rate? In the mean time I could save a lump sum to pay off. However would also probably have to pay part of the mortgage, furnish etc.

C. Do nothing keep saving and try get disposit to 100k

Honestly the costs and hassle of tax returns, registering with PRTB, tenants, etc. make B not worthwhile.

You already have a 20% deposit so the benefit in C is that you build up more equity or push your ceiling price up (although I think you're undershooting - 15k saved in 2 years with no rent overhead?).

A is your best bet.

Advertisement