Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me find an upgrade to a relay

Options
  • 15-11-2014 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I just repaired a failed dry joint on the control board of my dishwasher. The joint failure is a common issue and is a result of an AJS1311 relay getting too hot. The relay controls the heating element within the machine and over time the contact within the unit fails due to the high current it's handling.

Can someone recommend a replacement unit based on the attached specifications?

Thanks a mill

Screenshot_2014_11_15_09_48_01.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

I would talk to TCM controls in Harolds Cross. These guys have gotten me out of a few sctatches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

How about leaving the existing relay in place and use it to turn on an external relay instead of directly powering the element?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

How about leaving the existing relay in place and use it to turn on an external relay instead of directly powering the element?

The existing relay doesn't handle the full load presently, it's only switching 12v at 10 a max so I suspect there's a larger DC to AC relay next to the heater deeper in the machine.

The existing relay is clearly shot and the soldered joint will no doubt fail again shortly.

I was hoping to use a replacement 12v relay with the same footprint but rated for 15 or 20A.
    My difficulty is trying to find a suitable one

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Defo try Tcm controls in harolds cross. Mick in there is very helpful. He will no doubt come up with something for ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I would pick up a large relay, even from the likes of maplin. Then just wire from the relay onto the PCB with wire suitable to handle the current. You could even glue the new relay to the PCB.

• Advertisement

I would pick up a large relay...Then just wire from the relay onto the PCB with wire suitable to handle the current.

+1

Relay's are commonly under-rated. I double the relay size per application. I'm using 30A/50A relays (continuous/intermittent) for 15A-20A loads continuous and they still get hot after an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

+1

Relay's are commonly under-rated. I double the relay size per application. I'm using 30A/50A relays (continuous/intermittent) for 15A-20A loads continuous and they still get hot after an hour.

Its probably the winding that gets warm as much as anything else, so even an unloaded relay will heat up when the coil is energised.

Yup usually it's the coil that fails not the contactor. You can make it really complicated and get them to make at full power and then PWM it to hold. Works for DC coils dunno about AC.

Advertisement