Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Irish

Options
  • 15-11-2014 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I am sitting my JC this year and I am worried about Irish. I know it is only the JC but I really want to be a Primary School teacher and Irish is important for that. I am doing higher level Irish and I don't want to drop down to pass as I know I will be able to do HL with help. In my tests I have been getting low B/C with an occasional A.
    I have bought all the revision books but I still can't learn/understand anything. I just find Irish hard to learn (in my French it is grand , I even got an A in the November tests, but got a C in Irish). Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve on my Irish?

Any help much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

emmaquirke wrote: »
    In my tests I have been getting low B/C with an occasional A.
    These are good results, they should make you more confident that you are learning well.
    (in my French it is grand , I even got an A in the November tests, but got a C in Irish).
    This is also good. It shows that you can learn languages and the way you're studying it is working.

Keep doing what you're doing, but understand that learning a language takes time and effort, and it can often feel like you don't understand anything because as you learn and progress through your course you are also being given more difficult material.

What works very well or many students is self-testing. It's a hard way to study, but it can work really well. When you are learning your material, regularly test yourself. Step away from the vocab or grammar for a little while, and then come back to it and test yourself. This will help you to focus on what you don't know, will help reinforce what you do know, and because we all hate getting answers wrong your brain will start remembering the right answers. Regularly retest yourself on old stuff too as you move on to new topics, because we forget information that we don't use regularly.

Most of all, don't panic. You've plenty of time, and often the pieces of the puzzle come together quite close to the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

I got an A last year in HL and although I went to the gaeltacht...a huge coponent of my exam was the oral. Are you doing the oral? It is 40% of the exam and is what got me an A. I much prefer speaking ,rather writing.

Apart from the oral, things to practice are the listening (10%) which is fairly easy once you get practice.
    An aiste/eachtra: learn basis of a story and try and mould it to the eachtras and for the aiste cover a few topics and you should be fine.
    Letter: The letter always comes up and most of the marks can go for a format. Make sure you have 5 solid points to get your marks.

To improve the above you need basics. That is really just learning off your verb endings an rules etc., seimhius and urus and all other gramatial things.

Hope this helps...if you have any questions PM me! Also a C is really good for HL!! I got a Low B since first year and in my JC I got my first A :)

Advertisement