Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toy suggestions

• 15-11-2014 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

In the horrid weather we've had one of the dogs struggles on the walks. But i hate the thought of her being bored so I was looking for things to keep her amused, however after spending a small fortune over the years I know whats going to happen. Toys in this house get chewed into small pieces and scattered around for me to pick up, doesn't matter if its a rope toy or a football even the kongs end up in pieces.

Any suggestions on things to keep her occupied or how to stop the toy massacre?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I've been giving coconuts to my lot, they're about 69c in Lidl, none of mine have managed to crack one open yet, but if they did, I'm sure they'd enjoy the insides, only problem could be the milk staining a carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

muddypaws wrote: »
    I've been giving coconuts to my lot, they're about 69c in Lidl, none of mine have managed to crack one open yet, but if they did, I'm sure they'd enjoy the insides, only problem could be the milk staining a carpet.

Thanks we've given them coconuts in the past but always broken as we were worried about their teeth. If that's not an issue we will try them whole. Not worried about the milk as there is not a scrap of carpet in the house :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Kong Wobbler? I put kibble inside and my 12lb pup will bat it around the room with gusto. Bigger dogs love it too.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Kong Wobbler? I put kibble inside and my 12lb pup will bat it around the room with gusto. Bigger dogs love it too.

Thanks even the Kongs end up in bits, I often freeze them with treats such as banana in them and if I can grab them back just as they've finished I am lucky enough to get a few uses. They regularly have bones and other chews as well.

kristian12 wrote: »
    Thanks even the Kongs end up in bits, I often freeze them with treats such as banana in them and if I can grab them back just as they've finished I am lucky enough to get a few uses. They regularly have bones and other chews as well.

The wobbler is huge though, and HARD plastic, totally different to the rubbery cone-Kongs. I don't know what breeds you have but I'd defy 99% of non-giant breeds to damage it.

• Advertisement

Dubl07 wrote: »
    The wobbler is huge though, and HARD plastic, totally different to the rubbery cone-Kongs. I don't know what breeds you have but I'd defy 99% of non-giant breeds to damage it.

Worst culprit is a gsd x. But I will try the wobbler as oppossed to the normal Kongs I get, thank you :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

odckdo wrote: »

Brilliant prices, the Wobbler's about €26 here at the moment. Hmm.

odckdo wrote: »

Ooh thank you that's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BaoisGlas

Kongs and Kong Wobbler :) I have the black 'extreme' kongs as my Dally girl ate the other ones I had, I put some peanut butter in mine and it takes them a bit to get it all out.
    Wobbler is great as well, I've had other feed balls for them but they kept getting stuck under the seats, I just stick the wobbler out on the yard now and let her get on with it.

I used to have big raw bones (only raw ones as cooked ones can splinter) and that kept them occupied, but haven't found a supplier here yet, I've found filled hooves are good and keeps them occupied for a while, they stink a bit though.
    Stagbars/antler chews are also good, they smell less than the hooves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Go to your local charity shop and pick up some stuffed toys. At 20c/toy it doesnt matter if they're shredded (altho u do have to clean up) Just make sure none have "bean" stuffing etc. Have a look in the toy section and see if there are any childrens toys that would make good dog toys - use your imagination - Ive got a rubber telephone that my dog loves - 50c. Also got some balls, a very strange rubbery plastic doll (no hair/moving eyes), skittles and quite a few other bits & pieces - all for less than €5. At that price, I just dump the lot and start again in a few weeks!

I took all the "holey" socks out of my husbands drawer, stuffed 2 or 3 socks into one sock, tied a knot - great for throwing/chewing/tugofwar! I take strong small boxes, stick a bit of kibble in, tape it up & rattle it to get their attention, then they "savage" the box. More cleaning up! Smear some peanut butter in a yogourt pot and freeze. A toilet roll with newspaper wadded into it - with a piece or two of kibble inthe newspaper. Lots of things can keep your dogs interested for €0. My mutt is currently 1 half hour later, still licking the roasting tin the chicken was roasted in - saves me scrubbing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

As with most dogs my two are allergic to heavy rain. They will go out if I go with them and bring a ball (not always practical if it's raining cats & them)

Play inside is easier when you have two - they are like bold children tearing around the house after each other. But both enjoy a game of pull the sock - an old sock used as a pull toy - I always put it away after so they don't try to eat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

muddypaws wrote: »

Hi muddypaws, do you just let them play with the coconut and let thdm eat the inside if it and drink the juice if they release it. Is this for a year old dog to do also. I never head of this, think my dog would love it though. It would be different from the usual balls, kong etc

Advertisement