Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are irish degrees seperated into class (1:1, 2:1 etc)?

Options
  • 15-11-2014 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Currently in 6th year. A lot of articles I read mentioned employers wanting "2:1 degrees". As I read it, a 2:1 degree is a degree done to a high standard, while 1:1 means you did brilliant over every course and test. This is in the UK.

Are Irish degrees done the same way? If I get, say, a bachelors will it say on the degree "first class second devision bachelors degree in computer science" or whatever? Can't find a pdf of an actual degree for the life of me, anyone got one they can scan?

Does the same rating apply to masters/phd? E.g can you have a 2:1 bachelors, a 2:1 masters, a 2:1 phd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Yes, degrees in Ireland are awarded on the basis of 1:1, 2:1, 2:2, etc...
    romakarol wrote: »
    Can't find a pdf of an actual degree for the life of me, anyone got one they can scan?
    No. We're not big into scanning our degrees onto boards.ie for you
    Does the same rating apply to masters/phd? E.g can you have a 2:1 bachelors, a 2:1 masters, a 2:1 phd?
    It depends. Generally a taught degree will have a "rating", where as a research degree won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Currently in 6th year. A lot of articles I read mentioned employers wanting "2:1 degrees". As I read it, a 2:1 degree is a degree done to a high standard, while 1:1 means you did brilliant over every course and test. This is in the UK.
    Irish segregation is as follows:

1H - First Class Honours: > 70%

2H1 - Second Class Hons, Grade 1: 60% - 69%

2H2 - Second Class Hons, grade 2: 50% - 59%

3H - Third Class Honours: 45% - 49%

Pass: > 40% - 44%
    Are Irish degrees done the same way? If I get, say, a bachelors will it say on the degree "first class second devision bachelors degree in computer science" or whatever? Can't find a pdf of an actual degree for the life of me, anyone got one they can scan?
    Irish degrees are done the same way - but what's actually on the certificate will vary drastically between institutions. For example, all certs awarded from NUIG (and I believe all the NUI's) are entirely in latin. There is also no class of degree written on the cert.

Here's an example I found - This is an exact scan of an NUI degree.
    http://www.joegarvey.com/images/ParchmentCopyOfDegreeCertificate0001%20copy.gif

Depends on the Masters degree. Some are pass/fail degrees, where you either get over 40% and get awarded the degree, or you do not. Others follow the usual rating structure.

PhD's don't follow the same system at all. For a PhD you are usually required to submit a thesis to 2 internal and 1 external examiner. You then have a viva, where you defend the thesis.

This is a breakdown of the possible outcomes for a PhD:
    Possible Outcomes|Nature of Correction (Time limits)
    Award PhD | None
    Award PhD | Typographical Corrections (1 month)
    Award PhD | Minor corrections in content (1 month)
    Award PhD | Major corrections in content (3 months)
    Refer | Permit submission of a revised thesis without a second viva (1 year)
    Refer | Permit submission of a revised thesis with a second viva (1 year)
    Award a Masters Degree | None
    Award a Masters Degree | Subject to typographical corrections
    Award a Masters Degree | Subject to corrections in content
    Reject | No recommendation as to resubmission

Advertisement