Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need advice on this Corolla's mileage please

• 15-11-2014 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

2004 with 160 000 miles.

Corollas seem to have a reputation as being very reliable but would I be taking a risk on a 2004 with this kind of mileage

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Nobody can make a call on the mileage alone. Is the car in good nick? Is there any service history? Assuming it's the 1.4vvti, they're prone to burning a bit of oil, is there any blueish smoke coming from the exhaust?

There's no automatic reason for any car with that mileage to be problematic and conversely, nothing preventing a car with half the mileage being a lemon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

16 k a year?
    And probably still runs better than half the new Shiite out now. Corollas are a great car no matter the year or mileage.
    Is she in good nick other than the mileage?
    Check the chassis frame for damage etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 skytl

16 k a year?
    And probably still runs better than half the new Shiite out now. Corollas are a great car no matter the year or mileage.
    Is she in good nick other than the mileage?
    Check the chassis frame for damage etc

Yep it seems to be in good shape.

Only worry i'd have is the relatively high mileage, friend just bought a yaris, same year 2004 with 66,000 miles

skytl wrote: »

Only worry i'd have is the relatively high mileage, friend just bought a yaris, same year 2004 with 66,000 miles

Yaris weren't really made for a lot of mileage. They were more suited for older drivers doing short journeys. Nuns and priests love them. Most of Yaris I've serviced were owned by priests buns or elderly people and ha short mileage on em and very little major work done to them. Same goes for the corollas but with more mileage

Yaris weren't really made for a lot of mileage. They were more suited for older drivers doing short journeys. Nuns and priests love them. Most of Yaris I've serviced were owned by priests buns or elderly people and ha short mileage on em and very little major work done to them. Same goes for the corollas but with more mileage

Reckon that the mileage on that corolla shouldn't worry me if everything else seems ok?

• Advertisement

Reckon that the mileage on that corolla shouldn't worry me if everything else seems ok?

Nope shouldn't worry you. Is there any service history on it aswell.?
    Clutch may have been done by now aswel. If not may look into it.
    Other than that nothing to worry bout.

Nope shouldn't worry you. Is there any service history on it aswell.?
    Clutch may have been done by now aswel. If not may look into it.
    Other than that nothing to worry bout.

Hopefully it will be fine anyway.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

66k miles is ridiculously low mileage for a 10 year old car which is not the norm for the year. 160k miles on a 10 year old car is 16k miles per year which is not excessive by any means. But on a 10 year old car mileage is far from the last word determining whether it is a good car or not. It all boils down to it's current condition and how it has been cared for by it's owners over the years. Even the most reliable car can give grief if it hasn't been looked after properly though Corollas tend to be more forgiving than others in that respect.

One thing to watch out for in that model Corolla is the gearbox bearings. They are a know weak point so any difficulty changing gears or whining sound from the gearbox and it's more than likely the gearbox bearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

My 2004 corolla 1.4 petrol has 151000 miles and there's not a question in my mind that it can make it to 200k or more

My 2004 corolla 1.4 petrol has 151000 miles and there's not a question in my mind that it can make it to 200k or more

It'll make it further than that mate. Seen them over 250 k as taxis
    Remember a carina E regularly serviced by myself with over 680k miles and ran like a clock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

My 03 Corolla has 182k on it and going great.

Mint condition! Was pondering in getting a bigger car but think I'll stick with this for another while anyhow while it's running like w dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Have a 04 Corolla with 169k miles. Drives perfectly. Put it through NCT yesterday without doing any prep work and it passed first time. As other posters say, if the one you are thinking of buying is in good condition I wouldn't shy away because of mileage.

160k miles isn't that high. 04 is 10.5 years old = 15k miles per year approx., not that much above average.

Advertisement