Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Home Letting Query.

Options
  • 15-11-2014 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

My Wife and I have just bought a house in South Kerry with a view to Letting it as a Holiday Home. It would be mainly for the Summer Market but would also be available all year round if there was a demand. It`s our first time doing anything like this and we are completely in the dark as to what`s the procedure as in where to start or what we need. I am aware that it can be Let through an agency but I think we might like to try and do it ourselves. This might not be viable as we live 150 miles from the house. I would really appreciate any help or advice from anyone who has been in this situation before. Is there any organisations that we could join or look to for advice. Thank You in Advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

This isn't going to be much help to you but shouldn't you maybe have asked these questions before you bought?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Seaniemac

MicktheMan wrote: »
    This isn't going to be much help to you but shouldn't you maybe have asked these questions before you bought?

You`re right it isn`t. I was just looking to see if anyone had any experience of this in the past. veryone has to start somewhere...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

MicktheMan wrote: »

I wonder why people always feel the need to post the equivalent of 'well if your trying to get there, I wouldn't start from here' type answers.

Anyway to the purpose of this thread:

The first step is to decide your price, research and see what others are offering and for what price in the area. Are you going to take only weekly bookings, what's the minimum stay. Will you take a deposit for electricity/potential damage? On that point do you need different insurance than you have currently?

The second step is marketing, get on the main websites which in my experience are tripadvisor and airbnb.

Get nice photos taken with the house dressed, point out the amenities in the area.

Next would be to take bookings and ensure adequate time for cleaning/changeover. If you want to do this yourself, factor in your travel costs into your margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Rent to people that you like, and if you think that the two people are going to have 20 people down for a rave, just say no (have looked for such a house in the countryside in the past for a drinking session myself). Learn who your neighbours are, and if one of them would keep an eye on your house (for a bit of in-the-hand cash) to ensure no-one moves into the house on the sly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Find a local person that can hold the key and ckean the house for you.
    Then stick it up on owners direct or Airbnb, or similar.

If it's a small village the pub, post office or parish priest could probably put you in touch with someone who could do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

ted1 wrote: »
    Find a local person that can hold the key and ckean the house for you.
    Then stick it up on owners direct or Airbnb, or similar.

If it's a small village the pub, post office or parish priest could probably put you in touch with someone who could do it.

I'd second the motion that you'd need to get someone local to hand and receive the keys for you, and upon receiving the keys do a quick check that the place hasn't been damaged.

You'd also need to engage the services of a cleaning company on a weekly/bi-weekly basis.

I would definitely not try to manage any property yourself from a distance of 150 miles. It's asking for a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Eldarion wrote: »
    I would definitely not try to manage any property yourself from a distance of 150 miles. It's asking for a lot of hassle.
    Agreed, as this would become a burden.

Advertisement