Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto startup Sony Vaio

Options
  • 15-11-2014 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just received a Sony Vaio laptop for free. With my work I use my ipad ALL the time. A laptop is too clunky to drag around.... However, I also need the abilities of a laptop for my day to day work.
    So, I've started using LogMeIn and accessing a spare desktop PC in work via their app on my ipad.... The best of both worlds!

Now, I want this laptop to take over for the desktop as it's far superior and newer.
    I've set it up at home. Set it to work with lid closed etc... So I can have it safely stowed away on a shelf out of the way but still work.
    Now, I can set it to shut down automatically at the end of the day so as to conserve its life and also energy.
    Now, trying to set it up to auto start each morning is a little more difficult.
    I've done it before with other PC's via the BIOS, no problem.... However, this vaio seems to have a limited BIOS where I can't set an auto startup time...!?!

Does anyone know why this is? How can I set it up to start automatically each morning..?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

your issue might also be this. "In most cases, the laptop must be open for the boot up to take place."

Edit: this guy seems, to have it turning on automatically after "hibernate" mode. http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/288514-laptop-automatically-starts-up-even-though-i-don-t-want-4.html

Although he's trying to find out how to turn it off, and it's unsolved. So I'm not sure that'll be much help to you.

I'm curious about this, so if I find a solution, post it here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

You should see if Wake On Man is possible, this way your can "ping' your laptop awake over the network. Check the laptop specifications and see if WOL is present. Then there is a dozen apps (even for iPad) to start up your laptop from anywhere.

I recommend you keep it connected to LAN as well. Hopefully your router supports it too. Whos your ISP at home?

Advertisement