Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Larry Gogan

• 15-11-2014 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I wonder why he has never taken up one of the many offers to join another radio station ? He can't really be enjoying life on the sinking ship 2fm playing Katy Perry and Jessie J on the golden hour ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

He's on RTE Gold enjoying life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

I wonder why he has never taken up one of the many offers to join another radio station ? He can't really be enjoying life on the sinking ship 2fm playing Katy Perry and Jessie J on the golden hour ?

In a word - money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

maybe he does like Katy Perry and Jessie J. each to their own i suppose

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

It's a bit of pocket money for Larry , it's the voice they're paying for , I'm sure he just plonks himself down in front of a preprepared playlist every day and does his thing , that's alll I'd be doing at his age anyway .

Oops69 wrote: »
    It's a bit of pocket money for Larry , it's the voice they're paying for , I'm sure he just plonks himself down in front of a preprepared playlist every day and does his thing , that's alll I'd be doing at his age anyway .
    he probably has no other choice but to do so. give a man with his musical knowledge free rein and lets see what he can do

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He is the Brooks Hatlen of Montrose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

Larry addressed this in a recent interview, he said he doesn't want to be on air for 4 to 5 hours per day. he said that's far too long for a dj to be on air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

He could just retire! Give someone else a go.

He could just retire! Give someone else a go.

not his job to give someone else a go. if someone else can't get a go, its because they aren't what the station is looking for. if he wants to keep working and clearly the station are happy to have him, then more power to him.

not his job to give someone else a go. if someone else can't get a go, its because they aren't what the station is looking for. if he wants to keep working and clearly the station are happy to have him, then more power to him.

What the station is looking for? You make it sound like they are actually interested or that you can apply some kind of real world rationale to their decisions.

Does 'the station' sustain itself?
    Does the station provide a public service?
    Does any of the above matter to station executives or their job security?
    Is their a culture of nepotism and mutual back scratching within RTE?

You are right in the sense that it's not really up to Larry, nor should it be. So why wouldn't he keep suckling at the teat of the licence fee payer?
    Obviously it is not a requirment within RTE to retire at retirement age.

• Advertisement

As I always say when I see a Larry Gogan-bashing thread, you lot would never say the same about Annie Nightingale on BBC Radio 1. Double standards.

What the station is looking for? You make it sound like they are actually interested or that you can apply some kind of real world rationale to their decisions.

Does 'the station' sustain itself?
    Does the station provide a public service?
    Does any of the above matter to station executives or their job security?
    Is their a culture of nepotism and mutual back scratching within RTE?

You are right in the sense that it's not really up to Larry, nor should it be. So why wouldn't he keep suckling at the teat of the licence fee payer?
    Obviously it is not a requirment within RTE to retire at retirement age.

he brings in the listeners, the station want to keep him, thats it

Karsini wrote: »
    As I always say when I see a Larry Gogan-bashing thread, you lot would never say the same about Annie Nightingale on BBC Radio 1. Double standards.
    here here

he brings in the listeners, the station want to keep him, thats it

You don't seem to read people's posts or care. If your mind is made up then that's it. You have very closed minded attitude.
    The station loses money, so no the Larry doesn't bring in the listeners.
    The channel should be wound up.

You don't seem to read people's posts or care. If your mind is made up then that's it. You have very closed minded attitude.
    The station loses money, so no the Larry doesn't bring in the listeners.
    The channel should be wound up.

i've read your posts. its not how the industry works. its not someone elses job to give up their job to give someone else a go. in the radio industry, you get a go based on your own merrits, IE being good enough.

i've read your posts. its not how the industry works. its not someone elses job to give up their job to give someone else a go. in the radio industry, you get a go based on your own merrits, IE being good enough.

The station is losing money!It does not fulfil a public service. There's is nobody there on merit.

The station is losing money!It does not fulfil a public service. There's is nobody there on merit.
    the original subject of this thread certainly is there on his own merrit. other presenters such as colm haze and rick among others worked their way up through the radio industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

His voice isn't too good today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I notice his old 2FM jingles are no longer being used during The Golden Hour

• Advertisement

They sounded ridiculous with the playlist of 00s songs in fairness. Larry had more modern golden hour jingles for years but he brought back those old ones when John Mcmahon put him back on weekdays around 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

They sounded ridiculous with the playlist of 00s songs in fairness. Larry had more modern golden hour jingles for years but he brought back those old ones when John Mcmahon put him back on weekdays around 2010.

The old Larry jingles were the only decent sound heard on 2FM in the last 3 years!!
    The music on every show (except Dan Hegarty 2XM repeat) is shiite

His old jingles are back in full swing this weekend, he must have just pushed the wrong button last weekend, and he is now playing carly rae jepsen on the golden hour facepalm

I'd say larry gets alot of texts from listeners requesting actual oldies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭TheManFromTipp

Larry was on with Sean O' Rourke today..near the end of the show.

Advertisement