Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie question... odd after taste

Options
  • 15-11-2014 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Thanks again to everyone for helping me allong...

so I opened the first bottle;

> there was a small but of yeast sediment showing in the bottom (presume that's ok)
    > with a very clear pfffffft sound (nice)
    > and small bubles appeared (extra nice)
    > I then poured it with a gorgous looking head though not great retention (still nice)
    > the first sip had a really rich flavour (my OG was 80 as I boiled off too much water) but then within second there is a bitter/soury/yeasty after taste - I can't quite put my finger on it but I'm sure you know what I mean

Is this why it is advise to do a two stage fermentation? Or does it need more time in the bottle. Is this not all yeast having settled out of it?

Thanks for help - if it wasn't for the 'twang' this would have been a great tasting beer... although there is a nice buzz from it so not all is lost... ;-)

The Duke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Kit beers generally take 6 weeks in bottle before they are drinkable

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

I did quite an elaborate homebrew... but good to hear... patience... not one of my virtues mind you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

With an OG that high I'd recommend at least 3 months before opening.

I'm going to produce stuff on three month cycles then... hopefully it will be work the wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Did you use VWP steriliser?

• Advertisement

religously... one short of scrubbing myself down with it.... this is deffo the aging thing... I had to store away my bottles as they where taking over the small bathroom (precaution against exploding bottles)... and one wouldn't fit in the box... so i thought 'hey, why not' and this one already taste better...

TheDuke wrote: »
    religously... one short of scrubbing myself down with it.... this is deffo the aging thing... I had to store away my bottles as they where taking over the small bathroom (precaution against exploding bottles)... and one wouldn't fit in the box... so i thought 'hey, why not' and this one already taste better...

You may have inadvertently caused some VWP to come in contact with your brew. This causes a sour, medicinal taste. Happened to me once.

Hopefully they just need some time in the bottle.

huh... interresting... I did go overkill on sterilising everything as everyone warned about the 'nasties' getting in... didn't think VWP would cause an issue... will rinse more thorough... thanks!

TheDuke wrote: »
    huh... interresting... I did go overkill on sterilising everything as everyone warned about the 'nasties' getting in... didn't think VWP would cause an issue... will rinse more thorough... thanks!

I recommend investing in some Star San and a spraybottle instead of using VWP. Very effective at killing bugs, no need to rinse and no danger of off flavours.

Thanks... I thought they where the same thing... learning every day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

StarSan is great stuff, after spending a year using Milton, I switched to StarSan in February and haven't had an infection or off flavour since.

Good to know... Ordered some...

Advertisement