Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand name cheeses made with milk from Hungary or anywhere in EU?

• 15-11-2014 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I wonder if anyone can explain a little about this to me, you can buy for example Emmental cheese, and other well known brand names from any major supermarket, some is genuine authentic Emmental, some own brand versions. Why if genuine Emmental is Swiss can the generic lower priced cheese be called Emmental when it is made say for a supermarket in Holland, not Switzerland. What I am even more concerned with is that there is also a little note on the back of so many different cheeses from all over Europe that says "Made with milk from Hungary." When I think back to the Horsemeat crisis I remember that a lot of the fraud came from places like Poland and Hungry, I am just a little concerned and would like other peoples opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

werlynne wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone can explain a little about this to me, you can buy for example Emmental cheese, and other well known brand names from any major supermarket, some is genuine authentic Emmental, some own brand versions. Why if genuine Emmental is Swiss can the generic lower priced cheese be called Emmental when it is made say for a supermarket in Holland, not Switzerland. What I am even more concerned with is that there is also a little note on the back of so many different cheeses from all over Europe that says "Made with milk from Hungary." When I think back to the Horsemeat crisis I remember that a lot of the fraud came from places like Poland and Hungry, I am just a little concerned and would like other peoples opinion.

Emmental isn't a brand, it is a style - just like cheddar. Neither of these styles have gotten Geographical Protection so anyone can make a cheese and call it Emmental or Cheddar.
    Ireland makes loads of Emmental, Cheddar and Gruyere.

Parmesan, on the other hand, is protected and can only come from its original area.

What exactly is your concern about Hungary's milk production methods? Do you know anything about Hungarian farming?

If you are concerned, why not make it your business to buy locally produced food?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 werlynne

Thanks for the info on Cheese names that are protected, the point you make about buying local is exactly why I am asking the question. If I buy a food product I do try to buy English but if I would like some French Brie I would like the milk to be French.
    Through choice I do not want to buy a mish-mash of global ingredients but prefer to buy products from a source that I "think" they have come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Ah yeah, buy english. where maggie thatcher started bse....

Why not buy Irish as you're posting on boards.ie?

Better milk, as the cows are eating grass more than across the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Thanks for the info on Cheese names that are protected, the point you make about buying local is exactly why I am asking the question. If I buy a food product I do try to buy English but if I would like some French Brie I would like the milk to be French.
    Through choice I do not want to buy a mish-mash of global ingredients but prefer to buy products from a source that I "think" they have come from.

OP, are you in England?

If you are in Ireland then it's just confusing that you are trying to buy english.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_cheeses_with_protected_geographical_status

just buy cheeses on this list. they will be made according to the processes laid out ( or should be, but one can never be sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 werlynne

Thank you for your help, I found this board and did not realise it was for Eire.
    I do however appreciate your replies and the assistance that you have given me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Heh, Eire. Only people in the world who refer to Ireland as Eire are the English....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Deenie123 wrote: »
    Heh, Eire. Only people in the world who refer to Ireland as Eire are the English....

Only English people of certain age;)
    (like my father-in-law)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

What, you're worried it might be horse milk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Deenie123 wrote: »

And you'll note they never refer to Germany as Deutschland or Poland as Polska ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why if genuine Emmental is Swiss ...
    It isn't.
    Crisis over.
    If I buy a food product I do try to buy English but if I would like some French Brie I would like the milk to be French.
    Out if curiosity, why is that?

If I was buying French Brie, I'd expect to be buying Brie made in France, rather than Brie made elsewhere with French milk.

Obviously, being made in France and from French ingredients covers both. But my point is that when its an item that is dependant much more on process and recipe, its more important that they be right than the raw ingredients.

• Advertisement
Advertisement