Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurol versus castrol

• 15-11-2014 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭

Went to buy oil for smax 2l TDCI 2008 - spec 5W 30, WSS-M2C913-B at local MF. Was looking at Castrol Edge but was told only paying for brand and Eurol was exactly same spec for less and most guys now use Eurol instead of Castrol for this reason.

I didnt have spec with me other than 5W 30 oil was required so I bought it. When I came home I checked the 1L container (there was no Ford spec on 5L container) and it said M2C-917A which of course doesnt match the manual spec.

Are these 2 specs incompatible? Should I go back and get the Castrol?

On a related matter when I opened the bonnet I found that the oil cap was missing. It was there the last time I checked which is anumber of months ago at this stage. Must try and source one .. presumably Ford dealer easiest place to get one? Quick Q though would the lack of a cap cause any problems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I wouldn't believe it. They just want to push a cheap oil.

Castrol is top stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

Eurol is a top quality oil and goes to the expense of getting manufacterer approval for thier oils.

Check on thier site oil advisor to make sure what you were given is recommended for your car.

http://www.eurol.com/en/37-products/54-oil-advisor.html

But it bloody good oil , selling it and using it for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

discodavie wrote: »
    Eurol is a top quality oil and goes to the expense of getting manufacterer approval for thier oils.

Check on thier site oil advisor to make sure what you were given is recommended for your car.

http://www.eurol.com/en/37-products/54-oil-advisor.html

But it bloody good oil , selling it and using it for years now.

I cant comment on the oil quality as Ive never used it before but my issue is while the oil has been approved by Ford, the spec on the container is not that specified for my car. Im not clear if the eurol Ford spec is compatible with the s-max spec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

we pondered to use eurol but went with mobil instead.

creedp wrote: »
    I cant comment on the oil quality as Ive never used it before but my issue is while the oil has been approved by Ford, the spec on the container is not that specified for my car. Im not clear if the eurol Ford spec is compatible with the s-max spec

What I'm telling you to do is go to the Eurol site and pick your exact car. It will tell you what type of 5w30 you should have been given.

For example eurol FORTENCE is the ford spec and has
    Ford WSS-M2C-913D (approved)
    Ford WSS-M2C-913 A/B/C.

• Advertisement

Scratch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

discodavie wrote: »
    What I'm telling you to do is go to the Eurol site and pick your exact car. It will tell you what type of 5w30 you should have been given.

For example eurol FORTENCE is the ford spec and has
    Ford WSS-M2C-913D (approved)
    Ford WSS-M2C-913 A/B/C.

OK so there is a eurol spec for the s-max. Will return what I got and see will they order in the correct spec.

Advertisement