Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

08 Kia Ceed Estate Fuel Economy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Interesting, so having a different opinion is now "b000000s". This is a great forum isn't it, where if one poster doesn't agree with another's prescribed view it's ok to make personal digs.

Having a different view is not bollocks at all - it's what makes things interesting. What you stated was a untrue and all I'm doing is calling you up on it being untrue.
    I've driven petrols and diesels from a variety of manufacturers with a variety of power and torque outputs and I just don't like them, end of story.

Nothing wrong with that:)
    When you have to play the man and not the ball like this, it shows that you know you've lost the argument.

I'm not playing the man, I'm just stating that you're talking through your backside on this one.

What you said was:
    In a petrol engine (even a small capacity 1.4) you can go from 40-100 km/h with only one gearchange, you simply cannot do that with a diesel, too low a gear and it will be out of puff before you get to 100, too high a gear and it will bog down because it's out of the (narrow) power band.

To win an argument you have to prove someone wrong. Thankfully I have just the spot where I can do that and I did it this morning. So here you co CS, I made a little video especially for you to do just that. Level ground, private road.

Gear Changes = 0

Low CC Cheap Tax Diesel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Conclusive enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

To win an argument you have to prove someone wrong. Thankfully I have just the spot where I can do that and I did it this morning. So here you co CS, I made a little video especially for you to do just that. Level ground, private road.

Gear Changes = 0

Low CC Cheap Tax Diesel.
    Well, that is something I thought would be quite obvious that it is possible with a Diesel engine car. Surely, the power band is narrow, but the gears are taller than in petrol engine cars. Thanks for sharing the video anyway.

As a matter of interest, I have checked my own car (it is a 14-year old 1.5 Honda) flexibility in third gear and it is surprisingly wide, i.e. the engine pulls from 30 km/h to 175 km/h, which is the maximum speed on third gear. I have only checked this against the technical data though, as doing this on the road would be illegal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

175kph in 3rd!!!

The top speed must be monumental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

175kph in 3rd!!!

The top speed must be monumental.
    Not really, estimated around 200 km/h. Not enough power for any more than that.

Advertisement