Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expenses

Options
  • 15-11-2014 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Our four Dail representatives may not be doing very much for the country , much less the county but they appear well able to hold their own with the best of them when it comes to claiming expenses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Absolute wasters, the four of them. They do nothing for this city and instead peddle to the larger party politics and toe the line for fear of losing out on their fancy jobs, dinners, expenses etc. I cannot think of a single positive thing Conway, Coffey, Deasy and Halligan have done for this city. Not one. The only one of the four of them who sometimes speaks in the Dail is Halligan, the rest of them as quiet as a mouse. I have personal experience with the incompetence of Coffey as well, several years back he was all behind me and my family on an issue on which he promised he could help. Last minute he backs out and sends a LETTER telling us he regrets he cant help, wouldnt even face us. Useless tools.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

For the loving that Halligan gets and the abuse everyone else gets, it's worth pointing out:

John Halligan claimed the most of the Waterford reps amounting to €195,974.

It's hilarious that an Independent TD in opposition can claim such an extraordinary amount!

At the moment, Facebook is awash with abuse directed at Ciara Conway with graphics designed to slam her expenses. I've not seen a single criticism of Halligan, who was by far the HIGHEST of all our TDs! In opposition where he can do SFA!

These expenses our TDs can claim are absolutely crazy, I would love to see where they all went and how much of savings could be made. Do our TDs do that much extra work that results in them spending close on 200k in expenses??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

in fairness the other TD's in Government can also do SFA but at least Halligan gives an interesting sound bite every so often

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ec18 wrote: »
    in fairness the other TD's in Government can also do SFA but at least Halligan gives an interesting sound bite every so often

Not much the government TDs can say, in fairness. When in opposition you can give all the sound bites you like but is he worth all that money? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

Sully wrote: »
    Not much the government TDs can say, in fairness. When in opposition you can give all the sound bites you like but is he worth all that money? :)

are any of them ! ciara , john d & paudi ! I know my opinion !

• Advertisement

Deise67 wrote: »
    are any of them ! ciara , john d & paudi ! I know my opinion !

I don't think any politician can claim that title, in all fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

ec18 wrote: »

a sound bite here and there is not worth nearly 200K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

I don't think any politician can claim that title, in all fairness!

FG had a great chance to reform the whole system but bottled it big time ! could have blamed it all on the troika same goes for ps pay, but in the end we got the same old same old ! useless shower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

For the loving that Halligan gets and the abuse everyone else gets, it's worth pointing out:

John Halligan claimed the most of the Waterford reps amounting to €195,974.

It's hilarious that an Independent TD in opposition can claim such an extraordinary amount!

At the moment, Facebook is awash with abuse directed at Ciara Conway with graphics designed to slam her expenses. I've not seen a single criticism of Halligan, who was by far the HIGHEST of all our TDs! In opposition where he can do SFA!

These expenses our TDs can claim are absolutely crazy, I would love to see where they all went and how much of savings could be made. Do our TDs do that much extra work that results in them spending close on 200k in expenses??

No one is saying its ok for Halligan to claim that amount. What is wrong is the system.

Can you admit that Fine Gael have completely and utterly failed on their political reform pledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

They are all the same

• Advertisement

O Riain wrote: »
    No one is saying its ok for Halligan to claim that amount. What is wrong is the system.

There not saying it's not OK though. Their targeting all their abuse at Ciara Conway, and ignoring their Independent TD who claimed the highest out of them all.
    Can you admit that Fine Gael have completely and utterly failed on their political reform pledge?

Already have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

They are actually not all the same, the one who stands head and shoulders above them all is John Deasy because he is actually a clever and capable man who has Chosen to be a cynical backbencher how throws in his bit of guff now and then to keep his sheep voting for him. He is a disgrace to politics and a parody of the cute hoorism I detest.
    I hope I Live long enough to see him lose His seat, but I doubt it because joe public is thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

There not saying it's not OK though. Their targeting all their abuse at Ciara Conway, and ignoring their Independent TD who claimed the highest out of them all.

Already have.

I am with Sully on this... While Ciara Conway is shown to be a waste of space, who is taking money out of our pockets. Reminds me of those Insurance fraud ads on TV...
    They are all as bad.... John Deasy is the worst... he is showing himself to be worse than Conway when it comes to fleecing you and me.... and to be worse than Conway is a big feat.....

the problem is the system and that no one is prepared to tackle it.. cause it suits them too much......

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

Im assuming Deasy got some of his for actually being on a few committees and turning up. I'm not saying he's done anything, I don't think he has. but it makes the other 3 look even worse.

Possibly the worst 4 TDs in trh country for delivering anything, their expenses and wages are a joke. We could have hired enough radiographers so that radiography unit working or employ about 5 more teachers for example on their expenses alone.

This isn't even wages which is ridiculous, a lobbyist on one of their expenses would have made better representation.

Im assuming Deasy got some of his for actually being on a few committees and turning up. I'm not saying he's done anything, I don't think he has. but it makes the other 3 look even worse.

Possibly the worst 4 TDs in trh country for delivering anything, their expenses and wages are a joke. We could have hired enough radiographers so that radiography unit working or employ about 5 more teachers for example on their expenses alone.

This isn't even wages which is ridiculous, a lobbyist on one of their expenses would have made better representation.

I'm not sure about Halligan but the other two are on committees and were on Oirechtas TV but its not as popular to feature on the Six One like the PAC and they haven't put out any scandalous soundbites.

Are we really okay with paying out this much if they make a few digs and cause a bit of a stur?!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

Are we really okay with paying out this much if they make a few digs and cause a bit of a stur?!

Of course not and thats one of the reasons people are so annoyed with the Government, they went in under the promises of changing the way politics is done. People want the expenses sorted but there is no Government TD who seems to also want it sorted despite a very clear mandate and desire by the people they're representing.

Advertisement